Any Females Who Just Started Or Have Been Here For Awhile

Comments

• I'm 63 years old, 5'6" tall and weighed 220 when I began the BulletProof diet for weight loss and focus (the one that includes a 16hr IF and an 8 hour feeding schedule.  I estimate that I have about 90 lbs to let go of in order to feel optimal so I was hoping for some weight loss.  I have just completed my first 5 weeks on the protocol.  I've enjoyed it and had no difficulty staying on it... I haven't lost any weight at all, however.

I've been gluten free for about 10 years now, however I did not realize that even foods that contain 'Gluten Free' labels can (and do) legally contain 20/1,000,000 part gluten.  This is enough to trigger the autoimmune system.  I had spent the last 6 months with severe IBS which left me unable to leave the house most days, as my severe symptoms required that I be within 10 steps of a toilet at all times.  I heard Dave Asprey speak at the online Gluten Free Summit and realized that my diet did not take into account mycotoxins.  When I finished the conference I knew I needed to go to a whole new level of gluten free and that I also needed to eat a mycotoxin and lectin free diet.  So when I began the BulletProof diet 5 weeks ago I was super motivated.

I haven't cheated even a little bit on this diet and have only eaten foods in the 'green'.  I have also been taking every supplement he recommends.  However I was using a liposomal glutathione which was not the BulletProof brand.  I am going to change that in the future.

What I love the most is that my IBS is totally corrected.  I am very sad that I have lost 0 weight.  I just got the results of the base blood panel Dave recommends from https://wwws.wellnessfx.com.  It shows extreme issues with my thyroid.  On the one hand I assume I may have had these before going on the BulletProof diet.  On the other hand, it seems the BulletProof diet I am on had been at cause for at least part of this issue.  I say this because since beginning the diet 5 weeks ago my skin has gone from naturally smooth and perfectly moist ..... to dry, painful, and papery.  In addition to my tight, dry, crepe paper skin I also now have dry brittle hair which was not the case before going BulletProof.

I have spent some time researching online about the effect of the Paleo diet on women and am now informed that most women are in trouble on the BulletProof IF diet if they do not add additional carbs.  I could find nothing at all about post-menopausal women.   I guess I am now going in search of a doctor who can help me balance my whacked out thyroid after I get the results of a more detailed thyroid panel blood test.  Sigh

You need to address your thyroid malfunction before you'll lose weight the way you should.  Get a glandular or a prescription for a combo of synthroid/T3.  Do not take Synthroid alone.  Where do you live?

• Wow...this is not too encouraging. Are there any females out there who have actually lost weight on this? Does anyone add collagen to their BR coffee in the morning? Is that necessary for females, or only on work out days?  

I started on this journey in June of 2013.  I started with Wheat Belly, and worked my way through various paleo/primal websites and bloggers over the first few weeks of my lifestyle change, over the course of which I discovered Bulletproof.  I started using the diet, coffee recipe, the IF protocol and carb refeed, and the supplement recommendations, all around the beginning of July.  I do add gelatin to my morning coffee and my bedtime tea (as a struggling grad student I can't afford the expensive products Dave sells, unfortunately). I started at 219 and am now at 181, and almost every ounce of the loss has been body fat.  I feel years younger (I am thirty but when I started I felt much older than my age, with aching joints and no energy).  My appetite has normalized after years of CONSTANT hunger.  I sleep better.  My brain fog has lifted. I am motivated to work harder at everything in my life.  I quit my ADD meds.  I haven't had a moment of depression in months.  

I started adding the gelatin just a few weeks ago and noticed a marked improvement almost immediately.  While my knee pain had already improved dramatically, I still had some pain going down stairs.  About three days after starting the gelatin, I noticed it was gone.

Hope my story helps!  I'm happy to share more if you have questions!

• I signed up for the forum today just to see how other women are doing. 

I'm a long time vegetarian who's felt terrible for years (5'2", starting weight of 143, not physically active other than walking).  Six months ago I stumbled onto Bulletproof and read/listened to every word in awe.  I immediately started the diet, including Intermittent Fasting, and lost a POUND A DAY for 10 days.  Inflammation poured out of me and I started gaining muscle definition with zero effort.  My head was clear and I had energy through the roof.  I was dumb founded. 

Fast forward five months and everything has stalled from that first month's success and symptoms have all started returning.  In the last few months my sleep has been poor, I'm foggy, low energy, some weight gain and am experiencing terrible constipation.  I've tried upping carbs, more carb refeeds, fat-only days, one day a week intense workout for 30 min, collagen in BP coffee, added glutathione.  I'm just stuck and it really sucks.  (My indulgence from the "yellow side" is heavy cream, grass-fed when I can get it).

Typical Day:

AM

- Pink Himalayan salt and water first thing in am

- BP coffee with 2 TB Kerrygold, 1 TB MCT, 1 TB Upgraded Brain Octane

- Nutreince AM vitamin packet

LUNCH

- 2 pastured eggs

- 2 cups greens in butter

DINNER

- Stew made with grass-fed beef, butter or coconut oil, and veggies (a varying mix of carrots, celery, greens, bok choy, etc).  Sprinkle in Upgraded Collagen.

- handful of nuts (typically almonds, cashews or walnuts)

- Nutrience PM vitamin packet

- Fish oil supp

• Thanks Let_Me_Atom about the ketosis and salt tip. I have noticed headaches and thought I just needed to eat more carbs to avoid them. Just curious about your weight loss experience using ketosis, was it successful?

You're welcome! :) I've had great results with ketogenic diets as well as some not-so-great results. The latter kind were a symptom of including dairy products like heavy cream and cheese into my diet. I am one of the unlucky ones who cannot tolerate dairy as it spikes my insulin and causes cravings as well as giving me digesive issues. Butter I can handle, though.

Recently I lost about 50lbs on a ketogenic plan which is my record to date, but I regained all but 20 towards the end of the year when I was hospitalised.

• Fast forward five months and everything has stalled from that first month's success and symptoms have all started returning. In the last few months my sleep has been poor, I'm foggy, low energy, some weight gain and am experiencing terrible constipation. I've tried upping carbs, more carb refeeds, fat-only days, one day a week intense workout for 30 min, collagen in BP coffee, added glutathione. I'm just stuck and it really sucks. (My indulgence from the "yellow side" is heavy cream, grass-fed when I can get it).

Typical Day:

AM

- Pink Himalayan salt and water first thing in am

- BP coffee with 2 TB Kerrygold, 1 TB MCT, 1 TB Upgraded Brain Octane

- Nutreince AM vitamin packet

LUNCH

- 2 pastured eggs

- 2 cups greens in butter

DINNER

- Stew made with grass-fed beef, butter or coconut oil, and veggies (a varying mix of carrots, celery, greens, bok choy, etc). Sprinkle in Upgraded Collagen.

- handful of nuts (typically almonds, cashews or walnuts)

- Nutrience PM vitamin packet

- Fish oil supp

Hm, that is tricky. It's hard to say for certain what could be causing the symptoms you describe without having more in-depth information but I would hedge a guess that you aren't eating enough calories and need to increase your carb intake from things like sweet potatos/yams/other starchy tubers. Do you drink plenty of salted water?

As far as having constipation goes, I would try to eat more coconut oil and go for things like dates. You can make these really tasty date and coconut balls that are like sweets but are natural and healthy and good to have on occasion. Dates are high in fibre.

I'm not sure what else could be a culprit; I would be wary of having any unknown food intolerances since you mentioned cream and cashew nuts. If you're taking appropriate supplements to offset having a toxicity overload from the fat loss then I am kinda stumped.
  • Dates are too high on the GI scale.  Dump the heavy cream and eat more butter.  Nuts could hinder weight loss.  Get yourself some Cascara Sagrada to ease the constipation until you've detoxed and healed enough to digest your food properly.   

• Thanks for the feedback.  My plates/bowls feel pretty heaping but I'll add more calories, more carbs, cut nuts and cream. 

It probably is easy to eat too little with all the great fat in the morning.  I have to remember to eat lunch since I feel I could go all day on BP coffee alone.

• edited January 2014
    Hey just wanted to post an update as I am really pleased with my progress on the BPRFLP! I think I am past most of the adjustment period necessary to get my stubborn metabolism to shift into ketosis AND I have learned it is truly essential to keep my intake of healthy carbs such as sweet potatoes consistent (at least 25 grams every 2-3 days for women is essential- just like Dave has recently encouraged) Taking the 1 tsp raw honey mixed with 1 tsp mct at night when I take my potassium & magnesium supplements really helps me sleep as well (also recent Dave recommendation). I went one month on the BPRFLP and learned that the first 3 weeks where mostly about adapting to weaning off processed foods as well as high amounts of sugar (mostly from fruit) and slowly getting my body adjusted to metabolizing higher fat intake first now all of a sudden the past 2 weeks have shown my scale dropping PLUS I feel GREAT! I am not going to lie- the first 2 weeks sucked- I was nauseated, headachy, dealing with whacked out hot flashes & cold sweats, extreme weakness, exhaustion & rapid heart rate. I really thought I had lost my mind. Then I read further information on the challenges women face in fasting and pale diet adaptation so I made some adjustments- especially when I saw Dave's recent blogs acknowledging wise adaptations for women and Shut The Front Door- they worked! Now I do have to say that I personally find it important to be aware of my overall caloric intake as I am now moving into BP IF protocol but the weight is starting to fall off in larger chunks now! And my overall appetite is going down, energy levels and mental clarity increasing, and I am so excited! Since December 1, 2013 I have gone from 221 lbs to 210- here's the kicker- without crazy workouts or massive exercise! Maybe not impressive to some but I have literally tried EVERYTHING and STRUGGLED to lose weight- only successful when I worked out 2-4hrs/day and always felt ravenously hungry because of low fat & low carb diets. I am no longer hungry all the time and when I do choose to workout Oh MY GOD I feel powerful. SO now I am transitioning to BP IF plan (with 25-50g carbs every 2-3 days) and I will be upping my training levels over the next 3 weeks as I am due to start professionally ski instructing in Utah for 3 months Feb 1. I have noticed it's important to have carbs close to physical activity, so my training will focus on my carb feed days. Oh, and if I werent supplementing through the BPRFLP I wouldnt have made it- absolutely crucial. Also, it's so important not to give up- my first 3 refeed days I gained between 4-6 lbs each time & almost lost hope- just adjust your fat/protein/carb ratios until you fins what's right for you- I have found that my daily overall calorie intake hovers now around 1300- 1800 depending on my exercise, but my body naturally is ok with that- I feel full all day! More later, thanks for the encouragement :)
  • mariahmariah
    edited January 2014

Great information here!

Thanks to everyone who contributes!!

I am struggling as a "newbie" to BPC  and would greatly appreciate your help (this is my fifth week, sort of winging it).

I lost 4lbs the first week, maintained for three weeks, now gaining weight again  :-|

I need to lose 10 lbs.

I was a raw vegan for 3 years and have been following a whole foods/paleo-like diet for another 3 years. With a long history of over exercising it was difficult to let go of that when starting the BPDiet, but because it was around the Holidays I eased into it. These past 5 weeks I have only worked out three times and still lost weight! 

I have realized that my adrenal crash a few years ago was not entirely the fault of high stress in my life, but also due to a poor diet and over exercising (oh the joy of owning more TIME in my day!!). :-P 

It was easy to transition to eating on the green side for the BPDiet, but I did have times where I felt nausea almost daily, heart palpitations and about three days where I felt as though I had intense acid reflux *ugh* I also experienced hot flashes and cold flashes for a few weeks.... all this is mostly gone except for now I have weight returning and my energy is down.

PLEASE take a look at my usual food intake and let me know what you think.... also, I have no idea how to do a "re-feed day"... what I have been doing is that for 3 days I eat like you see below and the 4th day I eat a bowl of rice for lunch and a bowl of rice and sweet potato for dinner (in addition to my usual menu)

Usual Menu:

Breakfast: Tsp Himalayan salt, cup of water. And then begin IF with the BPC (coffee, Kerry Gold, MCT oil) 

supplements: vit C, Vit D3, K2, Vit A, L-Tyrosine, Adrenal Health, Zinc.

Lunch: 3 eggs or 3 strips bacon with 2 cups veggies with butter.

Dinner: Serving of either: beef, organ meats, salmon, shrimp, sardines or other BP fish, bacon, or eggs-(& sometimes chicken or turkey).

Pureed cauliflower with loads of butter is my favorite "veggie" or other veggie steamed and with butter.

Snack: BPC chocolate muffin or other dark chocolate. Or every three days: sweet potato topped with coconut cream.

I take a digestive enzyme with every meal and recently started taking "Calm" magnesium drink in the evening

I welcome your comments & direction, thank you!  :mrgreen:

• I've been implementing Bulletproof Principles for almost 3 months now. (Started by simply adding grass-fed butter to my diet and taking out gluten... Now I have a pretty nice routine complete with BP coffee, and tons of foods on the "green side")

The biggest thing I've noticed is that my skin looks great (I saw an immediate improvement within days of starting Upgraded Collagen) and that my hormones are better than ever. This last moon cycle was the easiest I've had in years. Hardly any cramping at all, my breasts weren't tender, minimal moodiness... All around better.

Slightly unrelated sidenote: I do sweet potatoes and berries at least 2 days a week. And I forgo the BP coffee once or twice a week and opt for green tea instead. I think women should be careful not to overdo the Intermittent Fasting thing. I have a couple cheats (not gonna lie, I like a glass of wine on Friday nights!), but all in all I don't feel like I'm "missing" anything when I'm eating bulletproof. I feel great and really in tune with my body.
  • Hey Mariah,

Are you getting enough of your veggies raw? Also, I've noticed I do better if I don't eat protein at both of my big meals. Personally, I usually choose one for protein, fat and veggies, and another just veggies and fat. My digestion/metabolism doesn't seem to be "quick" enough to handle too much protein in one day. Sounds like you're making a really conserved effort to do this right. Good job!
  • After one week on the Bulletproof diet, I'm now experiencing "acid reflux" while drinking the morning coffee cocktail. It's been going on for a couple of mornings now, although I never had this issue during the first week (7 days). Since I don't eat any foods until lunch (which is how I prefer to diet), I'm concerned that the MCT or KellyGold butter might be causing the "acid reflux".  Any thoughts/recommendations?

• Earthcharmer occasionally I would have a few days of acid reflux but I just upped my daily dose of Pepsin HCL or activated charcoal and that helped- also sometimes I would back the MCT+butter amounts down just a bit (by a tbsp). I have found it crucial to take the supplements as outlined by Dave- Most especially the kelp as keeping my iodine levels high helps prevent the large amounts of kale, spinach, broccoli etc from causing my thyroid function to go low. The rest of the supplements each play a crucial role in supporting my system as my metabolism shifts.
  • Thank you so much Zehavi.

I usually have a raw salad for lunch, will do more raw veggies in summer time-- I have to cook everything bc of low thyroid-- thoug, like AnnaBB suggests, I just started supplementing with iodoral to keep my iodine higher, it seems to help :) 

I would LOVE to see other women post their menus!