Any Females Who Just Started Or Have Been Here For Awhile

Comments

• Started a month ago with the BP coffee. I have so many food allergies and some strange auto immune disease , I was already only living off of only fish, eggs and coconut milk before I started the coffee . My weight shot up this last year from some sort of inflammation and I ended up with white matter disease of the brain. I am 44 yrs old, normal BMI and moderately active . I wanted to help my neurological status with the healthy fats of BP coffee. The 8 pound weight loss in three weeks was a godsend ! Now I have seemed to reach a plateau and need help to drop that last 10 pounds and build some muscle tissue . Would love to hear some advice . Because of my work schedule and food sensitivities , I have been eating pretty much in the green zone and IF for about a year . It's normal for me to have only a boiled egg and a piece of fish all day I have tried to add the upgraded self collagen to the coffee recently .. I am 5'5" and currently weigh 130. I am also on bio identical testosterone, thyroid , estradiol and progesterone
  • I have had acid reflux in the past and it has increased with doing BPC. As soon as I take the first drink in the morning, I feel the burn in my throat. I just started on Betaine HCL. I don't know if it will help or not. I am already gluten free and don't each much in the way of carbs.

My diet so far has not been great. I am going to try to do better in that area and give it another month before I quit. Since I was able to reduce my acid reflux by cutting out soda and things like that, I was able to stop taking Prilosec daily and I don't want to try that again. Also, I haven't seen any weight loss, and that is probably because of my poor diet. I am 5'8" and maintained a weight around 170 most of my life without dieting. But my thyroid has changed from slightly hyperactive to within the normal guidelines and I have been on two meds that have weight gain as a major side effect. I am hoping to drop around 25 pounds.

If anyone has diet guidelines/recipes/etc, that would be great to have.

• Hi ladies, really sorry for long post but figured it was best to give as much info as poss.

I'm new to BP and been on it about a month. For the most part I am being very good with the general principles having removed grains and dairy and sticking in the green areas of the diet. I've had a couple of days where I abandoned completely (weekend away in Spain with the girls) but for the most part I've been pretty good (exception of booze, but even then have stuck to dry white wine, gin or potato vodka) and have pounded activated charcoal.

My question to you ladies is how long should I wait until I can expect to see results? I'm pretty sure I'm gaining fat around my tummy...

Here's some info: I'm 32, 5'5" and weight c10st (that's 165cm and 140lb to those across the pond). I did do Les Mills Bodyattack c3x per week. However when I started the BPIF I gave myself a break from the exercise a) because I suspected I had been overtraining and elevating my cortisol levels (I also have had a fair bit of stress at work) and b) because when I first moved onto BPIF I felt like utter shit and almost hit the deck when I tried to work out without having had any simple carbs for a few days.

I have just had a look at the food profile and in an average day (listed below) I'm getting 68% calories from Fat, 19% Protein and 13% Carbs. So I think I'm doing right in that vain.

Between 8am and 2pm:

- 2x mug Freshly ground single estate, rainforest alliance, washed and sundries Guatemalan coffee (not Upgraded - that's obscenely expensive here in Blighty) + KG butter (c25g) + 1desert spoon of Upgraded MCT (I know this is working as I have the "digestive" effects!) I sometimes put a spoon of coconut sugar in the coffee - could this be causing me problems?

"Lunch":

- lettuce, cherry tomatoes (only seen the thing today about night shades, oops), cucumber, spring onions, tuna in spring water, 1x avocado, c1tbsp extra virgin olive oil (organic, single estate cold pressed), 1xtsp organic apple cider vinegar, 1x tsp course sea salt

Dinner

- griddles organic rump/sirloin steak, steamed broccoli and courgette topped with butter, roasted sweet potato (cooked in coconut oil)

Drinks

- c500ml coconut water (no added sugar), 1-2mugs of redbush tea, c2pints tap water

A) I don't feel any different; granted I don't feel worse (excepting the first day after I've fallen off the wagon, I assume this is the toxins burning out of the fats while in ketosis? Apparently my breath wreaks at these points, so I have to assume I'm in fat-burn!)

B) fat isn't "melting away"

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies. I'm feeling a little adrift at the moment...

Thanks very much

Xx
  • PS - sorry I didn't realise capital B and close bracket would put in a sunglasses smiley! Also prob worth mentioning that I suspect I am oestrogen dominant so appreciate hormone imbalance may be playing a part. I have just started on a progesterone pill but would rather manage this with diet than drugs as drugs only mask the issue really...

Thanks again

X

• Hi ladies, really sorry for long post but figured it was best to give as much info as poss.

I'm new to BP and been on it about a month. For the most part I am being very good with the general principles having removed grains and dairy and sticking in the green areas of the diet. I've had a couple of days where I abandoned completely (weekend away in Spain with the girls) but for the most part I've been pretty good (exception of booze, but even then have stuck to dry white wine, gin or potato vodka) and have pounded activated charcoal.

My question to you ladies is how long should I wait until I can expect to see results? I'm pretty sure I'm gaining fat around my tummy...

Here's some info: I'm 32, 5'5" and weight c10st (that's 165cm and 140lb to those across the pond). I did do Les Mills Bodyattack c3x per week. However when I started the BPIF I gave myself a break from the exercise a) because I suspected I had been overtraining and elevating my cortisol levels (I also have had a fair bit of stress at work) and B) because when I first moved onto BPIF I felt like utter shit and almost hit the deck when I tried to work out without having had any simple carbs for a few days.

I have just had a look at the food profile and in an average day (listed below) I'm getting 68% calories from Fat, 19% Protein and 13% Carbs. So I think I'm doing right in that vain.

Between 8am and 2pm:

- 2x mug Freshly ground single estate, rainforest alliance, washed and sundries Guatemalan coffee (not Upgraded - that's obscenely expensive here in Blighty) + KG butter (c25g) + 1desert spoon of Upgraded MCT (I know this is working as I have the "digestive" effects!) I sometimes put a spoon of coconut sugar in the coffee - could this be causing me problems?

"Lunch":

- lettuce, cherry tomatoes (only seen the thing today about night shades, oops), cucumber, spring onions, tuna in spring water, 1x avocado, c1tbsp extra virgin olive oil (organic, single estate cold pressed), 1xtsp organic apple cider vinegar, 1x tsp course sea salt

Dinner

- griddles organic rump/sirloin steak, steamed broccoli and courgette topped with butter, roasted sweet potato (cooked in coconut oil)

Drinks

- c500ml coconut water (no added sugar), 1-2mugs of redbush tea, c2pints tap water

A) I don't feel any different; granted I don't feel worse (excepting the first day after I've fallen off the wagon, I assume this is the toxins burning out of the fats while in ketosis? Apparently my breath wreaks at these points, so I have to assume I'm in fat-burn!)
    B) fat isn't "melting away"

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies. I'm feeling a little adrift at the moment...

Thanks very much

Xx

Hey Dobby-

To keep it simple, here's what I'd consider doing:

• Nix the coconut sugar. Use stevia if you need something sweet. Sweetleaf brand is one of your safest bets when it comes to stevia.
    • For now, keep your starchy carbs to twice a week, more or less every three days. So, eliminate the sweet potato at night unless it's a night to have starchy carbs. Once you see the needle move on bodyfat, then play around with carbs more and you'll be able to tell what works for your unique biochemistry.
    • Do a HIIT or tabata workout in the later afternoon on your carb re-feed days. Sprint 8, kettlebell swings.... there's a ton out there. Something very intense, explosve but brief.... Simple but not easy.

Let me know if that helps. Good luck!

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• I wanted to explain further about why I suggested eliminating coconut sugar, etc. Also, coconut water is great but not very many are "bulletproof." Keep it out of your diet for now. For more on the coconut water industry, you can read: http://foodbabe.com/2014/07/15/how-to-buy-the-healthiest-coconut-water-and-avoid-the-worst/

In a nutshell, when you introduce something (like coconut sugar) that's going to raise your insulin levels in the morning through the later afternoon, you have either severely impaired or completely shut down your body's fat burning engine. Part of the science behind the BP way of eating is flipping your body's fat burning switch over permanently. When you keep introducing sugars into your system you don't allow your body to learn to burn fat for fuel. So, keep your carbs to late afternoon and evening after an intense workout so the sugar will go to your muscles and not your fat cells. I realize that's a simple explanation but that's the reason why I suggested what I did. Let me know how it goes. Don't worry about your weight. Keep an eye on your bodyfat. Scale weight is arbitrary.

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Karen GKaren G
    edited October 2014

Not sure if this is the place to introduce myself, but it seems as good a place as any!  I'm 51, post-menopausal and on my second day of giving this a good honest try.  I'm about 30lbs overweight with a 35% bodyfat according to the scale at the gym.  Ugh.   I have drank bulletproof coffee before but not really done the protocol that goes with it, although I have been doing 5:2 fasting for over a year with no result.  The first few months were fine but hard, and then I put it all back on after four months even though I carried on fasting.  

I don't think I can manage the RFLP, but will be doing Bulletproof IF.  The pdf is now on my fridge door, I have loaded up on supplements and am going to give this a try for one month.  I have read alot on this forum about women gaining on this protocol, but I need to try it for myself.  I have also bought Skye's book on Amazon so looking forward to reading that.

What else can I tell you?  I'm British but working in California in a high stress job.  I go backwards and forwards across the pond every couple of months which means my body gets whacked about a fair bit.  Best part about working here (apart from the weather), is that it's easier to get bulletproof products and grass fed meats.  

• Hi everyone! I am pretty new to the BP diet/lifestyle. I'm tracking my progress in a thread I started devoted to Skye's book (I'm a BIG fan!) so you can read more about me and my experiences there. I'm so glad we're on here, asking questions, looking for answers, supporting one another. It's really important.

• Hello Bulletproof women! Just wanted to tell you a bit about me, seems like theres quite a few more women just getting into the BF lifestyle! Its just getting into summer here in Australia so the beach is beckoning, spurring me on to start getting more healthy.  I have a big holiday in NZ next January so I want to look good and enjoy the holiday in nice shorts.  Having just got over surgery for veins in my legs I really want to make sure I make the most of these legs now :)

I also turn 40 this time next year so really want to make this year count.  Ultimately I want lose those 15 lbs again. When I say again I mean like a lot of women I yoyo with the same 10-15lbs.  Its not an unhealthy weight for me, I feel so much more confident and less frumpy when its off but I find it hard to stay on a good diet.  Im 5ft 4 and currently about 10st 5lbs so about 145lbs. 

I will be visiting this forum and threads regularly to see how everyone else is doing. Eager to hear about other peoples results also. Im not much of a measurer, more of 'can I fit into that dress again' kind of person. There's a few dresses in the wardrobe that feel tight and I really dont want to buy any more clothes so they have to fit! 

• Hello Bulletproof women! Just wanted to tell you a bit about me, seems like theres quite a few more women just getting into the BF lifestyle! Its just getting into summer here in Australia so the beach is beckoning, spurring me on to start getting more healthy.  I have a big holiday in NZ next January so I want to look good and enjoy the holiday in nice shorts.  Having just got over surgery for veins in my legs I really want to make sure I make the most of these legs now :)

I also turn 40 this time next year so really want to make this year count.  Ultimately I want lose those 15 lbs again. When I say again I mean like a lot of women I yoyo with the same 10-15lbs.  Its not an unhealthy weight for me, I feel so much more confident and less frumpy when its off but I find it hard to stay on a good diet.  Im 5ft 4 and currently about 10st 5lbs so about 145lbs. 

I will be visiting this forum and threads regularly to see how everyone else is doing. Eager to hear about other peoples results also. Im not much of a measurer, more of 'can I fit into that dress again' kind of person. There's a few dresses in the wardrobe that feel tight and I really dont want to buy any more clothes so they have to fit! 

Hi cocoacat.  I'm new too.  We are the same weight but I'm slightly shorter.  I'm also sick of yoyoing with the same 15lbs.    I'm on day 3 so far and doing great but don't plan on weighing myself until Friday.  I'm drinking bulletproof until the afternoon, lunch is two grass fed duck eggs with greens made as a frittata and dinner is a grass fed steak with a huge pile of veggies.   I will keep posting my progress so we can spur each other on.   I'm finding the pink himalayan salt an absolute godsend.  I'm also taking all of the recommended supplements.  

• So it's day four and I'm finding it hard going.  I just managed to get through to 2pm on bulletproof coffee, and all of the supplements.  Lunch has been a frittata made with duck eggs, broccoli slaw, bacon cooked in coconut oil and half an avo.  As I type I realise I have not had any pink salt today which might be where I'm going wrong.  I have succumbed to some gum which I suppose is not the thing to have (soy lecithin, aspartame etc etc).   :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

• Good goin Karen G! I'm still waiting for my supplements to arrive before I start properly, waiting for the probiotic, vitamins and mct oil but still doing bp coffee (with coconut oil) and mainly low carb highish fat food. I've started taking the pink salt 2 days ago, I was wondering what kind of benefits you are getting from it.

• So it's day four and I'm finding it hard going.  I just managed to get through to 2pm on bulletproof coffee, and all of the supplements.  Lunch has been a frittata made with duck eggs, broccoli slaw, bacon cooked in coconut oil and half an avo.  As I type I realise I have not had any pink salt today which might be where I'm going wrong.  I have succumbed to some gum which I suppose is not the thing to have (soy lecithin, aspartame etc etc).   :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Karen-

Real quick and I'll write more later. Your body absolutely needs pink salt, magnesium and potassium during this critical transition time. Help your body help itself. Skipping pink salt is not an option. Take Mag and Potass at night. Will write more tomorrow. You rock. You got this.

• Good goin Karen G! I'm still waiting for my supplements to arrive before I start properly, waiting for the probiotic, vitamins and mct oil but still doing bp coffee (with coconut oil) and mainly low carb highish fat food. I've started taking the pink salt 2 days ago, I was wondering what kind of benefits you are getting from it.

Drink up to (work your way up) 1/2tsp pink salt in water while still in bed before rising. Do it like a quick morning meditation. Set your intentions for the day and let those trace minerals do their thing for you as you kick off a new day. Will write more tomorrow! Good work!

• Karen GKaren G
    edited October 2014

Good goin Karen G! I'm still waiting for my supplements to arrive before I start properly, waiting for the probiotic, vitamins and mct oil but still doing bp coffee (with coconut oil) and mainly low carb highish fat food. I've started taking the pink salt 2 days ago, I was wondering what kind of benefits you are getting from it.

cocoacat.  I take the pink salt if I feel out of synch.  It seems to work in minutes for me, so maybe I should take it regardless as a supplement rather when I feel I need it - like Skye says in the morning.  Today I have upped my fat intake to 83% and lowered my protein slightly.  It seems high but I feel better for it.  I will weigh myself on Friday.  Also taking mag. and pott. at night.