How To Cook Food Without Oxidising Fats ...

Hey y'all

I was wondering what steps (if any) you all take to avoid oxidising the fats in your food. Where possible I try not to cook fat but was wondering what you all do about:

Eggs: I know Dave eats raw eggs but I'm not quite there yet. So when having a meal, like scrambled eggs or an omlette, do you guys worry about the oxidised fats in the yolk?

Chicken and fish: I generally bake these in the oven but again, should I worry about the oxidised PUFAs? How would you cook them?

Same could be said about red meat as saturated fat oxidises too, although it is generally more stable.

Do you peeps worry about this - not sure how far to take it?

Comments

• Yes, you should not make omelets or scrambled eggs to often - it oxidizes the PUFA. Cook them in coconut oil if you do at all, or better yet, cook the white and add the raw yolks afterwards. For chicken and fish, cook them in water at low temps, same thing for meat.
  • So stepping that process through:
    • Cooking in saturated fat means that the oil you're cooking with doesn't oxidise
    • Less heat overall limits the propensity to oxidise
    • Cooking in water means that you are cooking at an even temperature and not risking any localised "hot spots" where the fat might oxidise (i also imagine that this would avoid de-naturing proteins right?)

Is that about right?

It seems like there is a bit of contention about whether mono unsaturated fats are a risk for oxidation, what is your take on that Dave?
    www.optimoz.com.au

Upgraded products for Aussies AND NOW NZ!!
  • I worry about it too cause I dont have an oven! When I cook eggs I poach them in boiling water in my stainless steel pain (chris kresser made a post a while ago about the best pan materials) with a small amount of apple cider. I leave the yolks a little runny. Really fast to do. Think you can poach meat too in water, I've done it before but its not the same. Who wants a poached steak??? Some guys use a flavourwave too.

here's chris' page on cookware. So awesomely helpful : http://chriskresser.com/the-best-and-worst-cookware-materials

If only we could make a small fire and cook things on stones like the real paleo dudes..

From what i understand about biochemistry, saturated fats are much more stable. Its harder to oxidise them with heat. It is easier with PUFAs and MUFAs cause their double carbon bonds are less stable. Saturated fats are nicely packed cause they arent 'kinky' due to the double bonds in PUFAs and MUFAs. The biochemistry of fats is so awesome!! But the reason why the sat fats are solid at room temp is because they pack together better, wheres the P/MUFAs are liquid because their double bonds prevent them from packing nicely because the FA chains are all bent.

Fun!! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Kittyk