Cool Stress Reduction Hack - Noise Cancelling Headphones

Hey guys,

Started doing a new hack to reduce stress / improve focus (i think i thought of it myself even - although someone else has probably already come up with it elsewhere).

Anyway, i have been reading about the impacts of noise on cognition and stress levels and it seems that even low level noise (HVAC, nearby conversations, traffic) can significantly affect performance. Working in an open plan style office, this is a live issue for me so i started playing around with a set of Bose QC15s to see how well they worked. Got to say that its a pretty amazing improvement! they block out background sound to an beautifully and make conversations etc seem a lot less intrusive. To use a phrase often heard on the podcasts, it has been "transformative" image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I don't have any hard data but my focus has improved and my self assessed stress levels have gone down. I feel a sense of relief now every time i put the things on!

Sharing is caring so let me know if any of you guys have done or read anything similar?
www.optimoz.com.au

Upgraded products for Aussies AND NOW NZ!!

Comments

• Hi Leon,

Matches my experience with noise-cancelling headphones - they are unbeatable for gaining focus and removing the low level background stressors of air-con noise or jet sounds on planes - I used to fly weekly and found myself having a residual mild anxiety that completely disappeared when I started using noise-cancelling headphones. One of the best purchases I ever made....
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    Hi,

Thank you guys for the share. Are all noise canceling headphone created equal?

Ty!

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• edited April 2013
    here's a good way to block out the background noise: http://www.simplynoise.com/

you can also download the noise mp3 from this website, or get them elsewhere for using when you are not online.

however, I must say, that by blocking out background noises you set yourself for a fail in the different/extreme/outside of the comfort zone situations. When you get used to working uninterrupted, you will work poorly when you will not have a chance to work uninterrupted.
  • pmrtnzpmrtnz Peter Martinez

Thanks, JavaP. Gonna try that out.

I live in a house with three friends, and I'm the earliest to rise, so it's typically still loud while i'm trying to get to sleep. Cheers! 

• This is a great thing. A while ago I had tinnutis problems, was actually considering those. However white noise and noise at the right frequencies actually do decrease stress. I reccomend listening to the alpha wave sounds when working in office, it can help!

• For a cheaper noise reduction I really like silicone earplugs. They really block those nagging low-level noises out. Far better than foam or wax earplugs.  

http://www.macksearplugs.com/

Great for sleep, working in cafes, etc. 

• Any recommendation on a great pair of ear phones that have crystal clear audio and great noise cancelation?  :)

GO! GO! GO!  :P

• Noise canceling headphones are the best when trying to focus on something and get in the zone. No matter what i'm doing whether its at the gym working out or doing work on my laptop. Music is my sanity and keeps me focus and into what i'm doing. It's the time where i don't want to be distracted by anyone and just want to put all my energy into what i'm doing. It really pushes me to have a better work out especially. Music is the perfect stress reliever...without music i'd be lost! 

• I have been using white noise like this for a while, I would say it actually reduces my stress levels by 30 to 40%.

• I haven't heard of this before! I think this would be great for me during meditation as I have the hardest time really focusing as any background noise throws me off. Is this common in the meditation world?