Not Loosing

*Not losing* love my spelling?

I love this way of eating and living for the energy and overall satiety I have. I need so much less sleep and feel amazing but the fat loss is missing. I'm doing everything I read about to do as far as diet goes but no change at all. I lost a few pounds in the beginning but they have crept back on and I'm once again at 147. I have been trying to lose the last 10-15 so I can get really lean for soooo long. The only thing i don't do is work out but I'm considering getting a gym membership. What do you all think?

Comments

• What do you all think?

That we women have it harder than the men!
  • Agreed fatisyummy, we do have it harder. From a scientific perspective, our bodies have so many more hormones and processes going on. And we must be able to bear children (according to our bodies). Paleo is designed to get your body to a healthy point. Whether that is super lean or not. Many women say that if they listen to their bodies and follow paleo then they will get to a healthy point, but they are not likely to be a size 4. Unless they are 5'2 or naturally a rail.

How tall are you Hillary? do you feel you are overweight or just want to be lean and mean?

You dont need to go to a gym. What you can do, that costs way less money, is to do a bodyweight circuit at home. Some prefer yoga. Thats good but not very intense. Try doing some pushups, squats (weighted or unweighted) some other things like handstands against the wall, you could go out and buy some dumb bells. Do some exercises with those. I got ridiculously strong just doing body weight exercises. One handed pushups, one handed chinups, single leg squats holding 20kg out the front. running 10k in 36 min, Was great. Except. I was exhausted all the time, and I didnt menstruate. I was also on a vegetarian diet.

You can get toned and strong doing body weight exercises. If you are plateauing and you are CERTAIN you need to lose weight, then try the IF protocol for a little bit. I suspect if you add in some bodyweight circuits at home your body composition will start to change and you will get more muscle but look skinnier.

best of luck!

kittyk
  • Just to add to what kitty said: I just got the "You Are Your Own Gym" app. It's kinda fun and some of the exercises are surprisingly challenging!
  • Try doing this - once per week, all out sprints. You don't have to do many (this is Mark Sisson idea). Just a 20 minute routine where you walk for a minute or two, then sprint like a lion is chasing you (fast enough that if you can do it for more than 1 minute, it's not fast enough). Then, go back to walking for a minute or two (let your heart rate come back down). Then sprint like hell again. Do this 8 times in a 20-25 minute window - that's it. Once per week. This can be done on a bike or on a football field or on a treadmill or a StairMaster. They key is to do that blast of speed. If you don't ever sprint, you don't activate your fast twitch muscle fibers. This is why sprinters are so muscular. You can actually run 5 miles per day, every day and if you don't do any sprints - your fast twitch fibers will never be activated and actually atrophy!

Another great Mark Sisson idea is to keep your carbs under 100 grams a day - or even all the way under 50 grams for fast weight loss. Plus, with no sugar or wheat in the diet. My co-worker did this and went from 218 lbs to 150 lbs in 6 months!

• *Not losing* love my spelling?

I love this way of eating and living for the energy and overall satiety I have. I need so much less sleep and feel amazing but the fat loss is missing. I'm doing everything I read about to do as far as diet goes but no change at all. I lost a few pounds in the beginning but they have crept back on and I'm once again at 147. I have been trying to lose the last 10-15 so I can get really lean for soooo long. The only thing i don't do is work out but I'm considering getting a gym membership. What do you all think?

I would say screw the last 10 pounds. If you are sleeping less, with more energy and feeling better, then the weight is simply cosmetic. Drop the stress of worrying about weight and accept it, as is. Typically, to cut the last few pounds requires an extremely regimented life, with calorie logs, proper sleep and more exercise. Life is too short for all that. I am currently 6'2" 205lbs with 17% bf. It would be cool to drop towards 10% and get some abs, but I don't want to go through the work to get there. I would rather enjoy life. If you were very serious about losing the weight. You could get a basal metabolic rate reading, eat below your maintenance calories with occasional higher calorie days. Get more exercise, and sleep. Use copious amounts of mct oil and coffee to increase thermogensis. Practice some extreme cold therapy. Maybe get the hormones checked, to see if something is low or high and fix it accordingly. You can look into the lean gains protocol, but I am not sure about fasting, for woman. Either way, I hope the best for you, in whatever you decide.
  • I just want to be lean and mean Fatisyummy!!

I am 5'8" and definitely not over weight. I eat very low carbs already. Probably 20 or less a day. I naturally fast every day. I typically eat my first meal at 3:00 of 2 eggs lightly fried in coconut oil, then dinner at 7:00 of a huge salad with MCT oil dressing, serving of grass fed meat and a big glass of coconut milk. Dessert is some variation of Get some ice cream.

I thought I was doing everything i could to get great results but after so long at this I was starting to think the same thing. Maybe I'm already at my ideal weight. I'm just shooting for more than "looks good in clothes" if you know what I mean. I want to look great in a bathing suit and have lean legs! image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

There was a time in my life when I could just cut back a little and everything would shape up so easily but I'm 33 years old now, my body has gone through a lot. I have a teenage son and twin toddlers. I'm so close though. So close but so stuck!

I am 5'8" and definitely not over weight. I eat very low carbs already. Probably 20 or less a day. I naturally fast every day. I typically eat my first meal at 3:00 of 2 eggs lightly fried in coconut oil, then dinner at 7:00 of a huge salad with MCT oil dressing, serving of grass fed meat and a big glass of coconut milk. Dessert is some variation of Get some ice cream.

I thought I was doing everything i could to get great results but after so long at this I was starting to think the same thing. Maybe I'm already at my ideal weight. I'm just shooting for more than "looks good in clothes" if you know what I mean. I want to look great in a bathing suit and have lean legs! image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

There was a time in my life when I could just cut back a little and everything would shape up so easily but I'm 33 years old now, my body has gone through a lot. I have a teenage son and twin toddlers. I'm so close though. So close but so stuck!

• What the heck?! You all wanted to read that several times, right? LOL

I think I'm going to add some strength training and some walking. That couldn't possibly hurt me. So far I've been doing nothing. How much MCT oil is ok in a day? I always have a few tablespoons at least 3.
  • You say you are ultra low carb already at around 20g a day, do you have a weekly carb re-feed for leptin purposes?
  • Hillary, you and I sound like we have similar goals. I've starved myself thin and ripped before, but it isn't sustainable or healthy. I think as women, we really have to think about what our bodies should look like and work hard to overcome what society tells us we should look like. I struggle with this a lot. You sound healthy. Even as I type that I roll my eyes a little because that seems like a pretty common euphemism, doesn't it? Someone gains a little weight or can't lose, you tell them that they look "healthy," almost like it's a consolation prize for not looking like the models on the fitness magazines. How messed up is that?!
  • 'Trevor wrote:

You say you are ultra low carb already at around 20g a day, do you have a weekly carb re-feed for leptin purposes?

I Don't actually refeed. I thought that was for endurance athletes. I just use the low carb style for keeping my water weight down and cravings at bay. Otherwise I am a binger. Tell me how refeeding would benefit me. I am not familiar with leptin either. *blush*

• Hillary, you and I sound like we have similar goals. I've starved myself thin and ripped before, but it isn't sustainable or healthy. I think as women, we really have to think about what our bodies should look like and work hard to overcome what society tells us we should look like. I struggle with this a lot. You sound healthy. Even as I type that I roll my eyes a little because that seems like a pretty common euphemism, doesn't it? Someone gains a little weight or can't lose, you tell them that they look "healthy," almost like it's a consolation prize for not looking like the models on the fitness magazines. How messed up is that?!

So true... it really is a fine line for me. I could maintain how I look now and be happy. It is easy and feels effortless. Or, I could venture into the world of working out, counting calories and risk becoming completely obsessive. I'd like to just do a little and see if I can get a bit of an improvement since it is summer after all. But I really want balance too. I have a very addictive/obsessive personality and have to work hard to keep a balanced life. I feel like I would get amazing results combining this program with a little exercise. I never had great results from working out and eating a SAD however.

Yeah, "healthy"... It's funny you say that. I've never taken that as much of a compliment. "Healthy" in our culture does not usually mean lean and sexy. lol I remember my mom saying things like, "Boy, she sure has a "healthy" rear on her." But yeah, I am healthy. I just want to see where this BP program can take me. I like the work out program he outlines. I might give that a whirl. Now if I could set my lap top up on a treadmill so I was forced to walk while online I think I'd be set! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • I wish I could click like five times on fatisyummy's post above. Ive heard the 'healthy' thing before. When i won state cross country people told me I looked horrible. Now i look healthy??? Definitely the consolation prize. And wrongly so. Not cool, The societal pressure on women to not be fit or healthy but tiny is frustrating. I reckon we should have a whole section of the forum related to it. It has been something that has frustrated me for years.
  • I wish I could click like five times on fatisyummy's post above. Ive heard the 'healthy' thing before. When i won state cross country people told me I looked horrible. Now i look healthy??? Definitely the consolation prize. And wrongly so. Not cool, The societal pressure on women to not be fit or healthy but tiny is frustrating. I reckon we should have a whole section of the forum related to it. It has been something that has frustrated me for years.
  • Leptin is condisered by some to be the master fat burning hormone.

Rather that's 100% true or not is another story, but what is true is long term low carb lowers leptins levels, which in turn will make it harder to lose body fat, but by having a carb-centered re-feed you will rasie leptin levels.

When Leptin levels are low it becomes harder to access body fat because if is a "starving" signal trying to fill fat stores back up, when they are high fat moves more freely.

If you are super low carb, which 20g is, you need a re-feed every 7-14 days.
  • edited July 2012
    'Trevor wrote:

Leptin is condisered by some to be the master fat burning hormone.

Rather that's 100% true or not is another story, but what is true is long term low carb lowers leptins levels, which in turn will make it harder to lose body fat, but by having a carb-centered re-feed you will rasie leptin levels.

When Leptin levels are low it becomes harder to access body fat because if is a "starving" signal trying to fill fat stores back up, when they are high fat moves more freely.

If you are super low carb, which 20g is, you need a re-feed every 7-14 days.

I see. Would it be futile to up my MCT dosage in order to stay in ketosis during a refeed? Also, how many carbs would I need to go up to in order to be refeeding? I'm always afraid of falling off the wagon if I have too many carbs. It has happened to me too many times before.

Funny thing is, I usually get a pretty bad carb craving after about 2 weeks very low carb. I just assumed it was hormonal but possibly it is my body trying to send me some other signal???
  • Could be your body letting you know something>

You can up your MCT's if you want, but I normally don't bother.

The amount is hard to say, it will be different for everything, and vary with the amount of muscle mass you have.

Working out before hand can be beneficial to the process as well, but isn't needed.

www.marksdailyapple.com has a post discussing leptin re-feeds.
  • I spent some time reading up on the website a bit more last night and I think I'm ready for phase 2. I'm looking into Body By Science as Dave recommends and will be joining a gym this month. I know he does not recommend counting calories either but I'm going to start logging them any way.
  • Hey Hillary

I agree that idealy, it would be great to accept who we are and not worry about losing the last 10lbs. However, if being lean is important to you (whether or not it's due to the pressure from modern society /media etc) then it's worth doing. I'm around 10% body fat but still want to rip-up a but more. I might be healthy but I wanna look more awesome! Yes, i should probably get my self-esteem boost from somewhere else, but hey, it is what it is!

I know you've already had a lot of opinions but here is one more. Are you eating enough? No-one likes to count calories as it's crazy boring, but have you ever calculated your maintenance calorie level? That's the amount of calories you need per day to maintain your bodyweight. There are lots of formulas to calculate this (working out your resting energy expenditure, thermic effect of activity and thermic effect of feeding etc) but the easiest and widely accepted way is to multiply your bodyweight in pounds by approximately 15 calories per pound. So, for you at 147 pounds, your maintenance calorie intake would be 2205 calories per day.

In order to lose weight on a ketogenic diet, you should look to restrict your calories by approximately 10% (for you - 220 calories per day). IMPORTANT - you can either do this by restricting your food intake, or by creating a calorie deficit through exercise. The best way is to combine the two. So, you might want to try consuming around 2100 calories per day and doing some exercise which burns at least 100 calories. This will create the 10% deficit.

You might be tempted to reduce your caloric intake by more than 10%. The problem with that is that it will probably result in a decreased metabolic rate and slow your fat loss down even more.

I agree with Adam (although I don't agree with his aggressive tone) that weightlifting is definitely a cornerstone of weight management. It is especially important on a ketogenic diet as it will help you maintain your lean muscle mass by reducing the amount of muscle which is cannibalised for energy. You don't have to go crazy, just try to incorporate some weightlifting. And structured re-feeds (of carbs) is important too.

Many people say that on a ketogenic diet you can eat as much fat and protein as you like. This simply isn't the case and is a contradiction of basic thermodynamics.

Don't know if any of that helps or whether I have just made things more complicated for you? Sorry if I have.
  • I'm new... hello! Been on the BP diet with IF for 4 days and am down a pound. I log my calories always because I find if I don't I actually don't eat enough and then I retain weight. I think that's quite common for women. I also CrossFit three times a week and that is more than Dave says to do, but I love it. Weight lifting has given me the butt I never had!
  • Thanks Mariah Milan Dagupion. I do get pretty low on calories. Im often between 1,000 and 1,500. According to Paul I'm lower than where I should be. There is so much debate on the whole metabolism theory that I get confused. But for now I have some great tips to incorporate to see if there is an improvement. I'm getting a gym membership for my birthday and will be starting with weights this week. I'm upping my calories as well and adding some more fat burning activity. Learning about leptin and refeeds. I might try this. It seems to happen on it's own though through my occasional slip ups.