Let's Get Some Clear Answers On Multivitamins...

Dave states "Throw away your multivitamins". Yet I see many people in the forums stating the type or brand of multivitamin they take.

So which is it? Take a multivitamin or not? (I obviously want to get the most optimal amount for each.)

I'm going to be honest and say while I am willing to purchase my supplements from various companies. I would much rather get them all from one place. I already take about 15 different supplements daily and I would like to start over and design the most ideal cocktail.

Is Thorne Research Labs really one of the best places to get everything I need?

Dave has recommended the supplements below as a staple in (almost) everyones diet. Is there anything else that is an "OMG this will change your life" that is not listed below e.g. Artichoke Extract?

1. Vitamin D
  2. Magnesium
  3. Vitamin K2
  4. Vitamin C
  5. Iodine
  6. Krill Oil
  7. Vitamin A
  8. Selenium
  9. Copper
  10. Folinic Acid with B12

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

“Hado is the intrinsic vibrational pattern at the atomic level in all matter, the smallest unit of energy. Its basis is the energy of human consciousness.” 
— Dr. Masaru Emoto

Comments

• RodRod The Rodfather

A lot of people have their own opinions. That's the problem, not everyone is on the same page 100%, this is where you have to do your own research.  I may have a set of recommendations that another person on the forum would not agree with so it's complicated. I don't take one because I need better ratios but if you weren't going to take all of these things then the next step is to take something that would be better than nothing. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013

People take multi's out of laziness, not because it's better.

This is true, and because individual pills are more expensive and a lot more freaking pills to take. Is the thorne multi the best, no, but its the close I've seen to the best. I think when Dave is talking about throw away your multi he means your one a days and centrums. This would be the perfect multi if it existed:

Ron Swanson's Real Man Basic Multi-Vitamin

Six Capsules Contain:

Vitamin A (10,000 IU from Mixed Carotenes and 1,000 IU as Palmitate) - 11,000 IU.
    Vitamin C (as Ester C Non GMO Ascorbic Acid) - 1,000 mg.
    Vitamin D (as Vitamin D3) - 5,000 IU
    Vitamin E (as Mixed Non GMO Tocopheryls) - 400 IU

Rice Brand Non GMO Mixed Tocotreinols - 60 mg
    Ultra Thiamin Blend (as Thiamin HCl, Benfotiamine, Sulbutiamine ) - 120 mg
    Riboflavin (as Riboflavin 5'-Phosphate Sodium)  - 15 mg
    Niacin (130 mg as Niacinamide and 30 mg as Niacin) - 160 mg
    Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxal 5'-Phosphate) - 10 mg
    Folate (500 mcg as Calcium Folinate and 500 mcg as L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate from L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid, Glucosamine Salt) - 1 mg
    Vitamin B12 (225 mcg as Adenosylcobalamin and 225 mcg as Methylcobalamin) - 450 mcg
    Biotin - 400 mcg
    B5 Best Blend (as Pantetheine / Calcium Pantothenate) - 500 mg
    Calcium (as Calcium Citrate / Calcium Malate) 500 mg
    Iodine (as Potassium Iodide) - 225 mcg
    Magnesium Master Blend (Magnesium Glycinate, Magnesium Malate, Magnesium Citrate) - 600 mg.
    Zinc (as L-Opti Zinc) - 30 mg

Copper (as Copper Glycinate) - 1 mg
    Opti Selenium (as Se-Methyl-L-Selenocysteine, Selenomethionine) - 200 mcg
    Manganese (as Manganese Glycinate) - 6 mg
    Chromium (as Chromium Chelidamate Arginate) - 200 mcg
    Molybdenum (as Molybdenum Glycinate) - 200 mcg
    Potassium (Potassium Bicarbonate) - 99 mg
    Choline Glycinate -100 mg.
    Boron (as Boron Glycinate )- 3 mg
    Vanadium (as Vanadium Glycinate) - 100 mcg

Other Ingredients: Pullulan capsule (Made from Tapioca)

If you are a woman: Iron Bisglycinate: 25 MG Would Be Added

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• RodRod The Rodfather

This is true, and because individual pills are more expensive and a lot more freaking pills to take. Is the thorne multi the best, no, but its the close I've seen to the best. I think when Dave is talking about throw away your multi he means your one a days and centrums. This would be the perfect multi if it existed:

Six Capsules Contain:

Vitamin A (10,000 IU from Mixed Carotenes and 1,000 IU as Palmitate) - 11,000 IU.

Folate (500 mcg as Calcium Folinate and 500 mcg as L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate from L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid, Glucosamine Salt) - 1 mg
    Vitamin B12 (225 mcg as Adenosylcobalamin and 225 mcg as Methylcobalamin) - 450 mcg
    Biotin - 400 mcg
    Magnesium Master Blend (Magnesium Glycinate, Magnesium Malate, Magnesium Citrate) - 600 mg.

/Thread lol 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• The Caltons ("Naked Calories," and "Rich Food, Poor Food") have a multivitamin that seemed to raise Dave's eyebrows, on podcast #62.  Theirs has an AM and a PM portion, which seems smart, because of the difference in absorption at different times of the day, and the competitive nature of many minerals/vitamins (e.g. - zinc and copper compete for the same receptor site, so to have them together in a multivitamin is kinda' stupid).

The Caltons ("Naked Calories," and "Rich Food, Poor Food") have a multivitamin that seemed to raise Dave's eyebrows, on podcast #62.  Theirs has an AM and a PM portion, which seems smart, because of the difference in absorption at different times of the day, and the competitive nature of many minerals/vitamins (e.g. - zinc and copper compete for the same receptor site, so to have them together in a multivitamin is kinda' stupid).

Repost on the Caltons Multi.

The best multivitamin currently is Thorne Research Basic Nutrients 3-5. Trust me I've research them all and this is the only one that comes close to being perfect. Let's see why the thorne is better:

B1 - Not 5 Phosphate Form

B9 - Folic Acid not Folate, HAHAHAHA *Cough HAHAHAHAHAHA

B12 - 6 mcg !?!?!?! At least it's methyl you will still absorb most of the 6 mcg!

Calcium Carbonate - Lowers Stomach Acid and deposits straight in your ARTERIES!

Magnesium Carbonate- On the lower end of the absorption scale, this chelate is used for antiacids!

Zinc - What type of amino acid chelate?

Molybdenum - Sodium molybate is the cheapest molybdenum chelate.

ALA - Why this good multi and no RLA?

Now to be honest the good.

The other multivitamin has more Vitamin D then the thorne, has vitamin k2, and has tocotrienols. The multivitamin is okay, but thorne is still the best currently. Even though I believe that thorne is the best I would still only give it a grade of B.

I agree with having an AM / PM breakdown of supplements as well, BUT I still think thorne is better because what is in it overall.

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

• Yeah, I too am using Thorne multi's. I used to do seperate supplements for everything but it was too much to keep up with. I now use...

http://m.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Citrate-Formula-Basic-Nutrients-III-Without-Copper-and-Iron-180-Veggie-Caps/18134 (I take half in the morning and half in the evening)

To that I add in the following...

http://m.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Vitamins-D-and-K-with-Sea-Iodine-60-Capsules/46128 (in the morning)

http://m.iherb.com/Now-Foods-L-OptiZinc-30-mg-100-Capsules/738 (in the evening)

http://m.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Ultra-Mag-120-Tablets/1415 (in the evening)

And that is all I use regularly as supplements now, and I call it good. Although if you are not eating any good fatty fish you might want to add some fish oil too. This seems to be fairly well covered to me while keeping things much simpler. If anyone sees any glaring deficiencies let me know.
  • I had to stop all supplements for 4 days to get my adrenals, neurotransmitters, and nutrition absorbtion tested on Monday...and I actually came down with a cold over the weekend... woke up with a SWOLLEN face, sore throat and stuffed up nose on Sunday and Monday.... so I'd say Vitamin C is pretty important especially since most of us don't eat a lot of fruit......

• RodRod The Rodfather

Swollen face? hmmm, is that common when you get a cold? 

• Calcium D Glucarate sounds pretty good. I haven't used it yet but it's benefits sound promising. Potassium with your magnesium at night helps you sleep better. Spirulina and Chlorella are great for detoxing as well as activated charcoal.

• @Rod... I never get colds.... so I don't know... I think the swollen face and eyes has more to do with my adrenals..... ;(

• I think finding out the ideal vitamins is a great first step, but we need to then take it a step further and find as many real food sources as possible.

I made a very similar list to the one in the OP and added other things that make sense for me (such as B6, Zinc, Arginine, Orthanine, Tyrosine, ALA, ALCAR, ect ect.)  I then went and bought each and every thing on my list.  I'm now taking a bunch of pills a day, and I have NO PROBLEM with that.  It's nothing about the stigma or being a pill popper that makes me say we should find real food sources.  It's actually when I was listening to the FAQ on Green Pastures site which sells a Cod Liver oil which Dave recommends for Vitamin A. 

Here's the deal.  There are 1000s of different forms of vitamin A, not just A1.  The same goes for the B, D and E vitamins, and likely many others.  The parts of the vitamin spectrum that make it onto labels are the ones which we have isolated and studied, but this is a drop in the bucket compared to what there is.  So supplementing is better than being deficient, but all the supplement pills in the world wont make up for real food.

Personally I have a massive Evernote notebook with every beneficial supplement and all the research I can find on it's effects, dosage, recommend brands and real food sources.  When it's more complete I'll share it (or alternately I can make it public and share it) but I made myself a ideal stack of all my vitamins and nootropics and other items, but BPC is the only real food item on there (full of Grassfed butter with Vitamins A & K)  So I'm going to follow my list because it's helping me learn what vitamins I need and what they do, but over time I'm going to try and swap out more and more supplements for real foods which contain a full spectrum of the corresponding vitamins.  This way, I'll know what vitamins I need, and when I reach for food I'll know from a performance standpoint why I need that.  What need it's filling.

We all understand that nature has perfect formulas.  Why are we up in arms when someone wants to boil our milk or take out the fat?  Because we understand that you can't absorb the calcium, Vit A, or Vit D of a cows milk without the presence of the natural saturated fat in the milk.  It's a prefect formula, that's why skim milk doesn't work.  The same may sadly be true to an extent for vitamins.  We know that if you are vitamin D deficient, then you won't absorb Vitamin A properly.  Luckily here we are all bulletproof and not deficient in either, but what we know about the spectrum of vitamins appears to be a fraction of what we could know, and there are likely many vitamins that work synergisticly in their natural formulas which we will be missing out if we're just artificially supplementing with the vitamins that are getting all the attention b/c they've been isolated and studied.

So to summarize, I think the list are great.  That's where I'm at too, but as a community I think we should work together to figure out how to do better.

• RodRod The Rodfather

@Rod... I never get colds.... so I don't know... I think the swollen face and eyes has more to do with my adrenals..... ;(

Hmm, it's possible, due to inflammation. How are your finger nails and toes? Do you have ridges? 

I think finding out the ideal vitamins is a great first step, but we need to then take it a step further and find as many real food sources as possible.

I made a very similar list to the one in the OP and added other things that make sense for me (such as B6, Zinc, Arginine, Orthanine, Tyrosine, ALA, ALCAR, ect ect.)  I then went and bought each and every thing on my list.  I'm now taking a bunch of pills a day, and I have NO PROBLEM with that.  It's nothing about the stigma or being a pill popper that makes me say we should find real food sources.  It's actually when I was listening to the FAQ on Green Pastures site which sells a Cod Liver oil which Dave recommends for Vitamin A. 

Here's the deal.  There are 1000s of different forms of vitamin A, not just A1.  The same goes for the B, D and E vitamins, and likely many others.  The parts of the vitamin spectrum that make it onto labels are the ones which we have isolated and studied, but this is a drop in the bucket compared to what there is.  So supplementing is better than being deficient, but all the supplement pills in the world wont make up for real food.

Personally I have a massive Evernote notebook with every beneficial supplement and all the research I can find on it's effects, dosage, recommend brands and real food sources.  When it's more complete I'll share it (or alternately I can make it public and share it) but I made myself a ideal stack of all my vitamins and nootropics and other items, but BPC is the only real food item on there (full of Grassfed butter with Vitamins A & K)  So I'm going to follow my list because it's helping me learn what vitamins I need and what they do, but over time I'm going to try and swap out more and more supplements for real foods which contain a full spectrum of the corresponding vitamins.  This way, I'll know what vitamins I need, and when I reach for food I'll know from a performance standpoint why I need that.  What need it's filling.

We all understand that nature has perfect formulas.  Why are we up in arms when someone wants to boil our milk or take out the fat?  Because we understand that you can't absorb the calcium, Vit A, or Vit D of a cows milk without the presence of the natural saturated fat in the milk.  It's a prefect formula, that's why skim milk doesn't work.  The same may sadly be true to an extent for vitamins.  We know that if you are vitamin D deficient, then you won't absorb Vitamin A properly.  Luckily here we are all bulletproof and not deficient in either, but what we know about the spectrum of vitamins appears to be a fraction of what we could know, and there are likely many vitamins that work synergisticly in their natural formulas which we will be missing out if we're just artificially supplementing with the vitamins that are getting all the attention b/c they've been isolated and studied.

So to summarize, I think the list are great.  That's where I'm at too, but as a community I think we should work together to figure out how to do better.

I did the same thing bud, this is the thing you didn't account for. I covered this earlier but it has to do with the foods not having the vitamins and minerals you think they do. Soil is what has the vitamins and minerals, too bad that they only use N,P, and K as an additive to the soil. So let me ask you, what happened to the rest of the vitamins and minerals? That's the thing, you can never get what you need, all the foods today unless you enrich the soil and control it, will be beyond sub par. I'm talking, the food you eat will only keep you alive...I have spent soooo many hours on this topic it's not even funny. At this point I supplement colloidal minerals everyday, take vitamins, and focus on Macro's. Add veggies for fun/fiber because you'r not getting shit out of them. Even Organic though they use something that's a little better than N,P, and K. You will have to face this cold hard fact either now or in the future.

Whole food vitamins are garbage. All they do is feed yeast a whole bunch of synthetic vitamins and extract the vitamins from the yeast. All you are taking is a lot of yeast. Also you don't know what synthetic vitamins they are feeding the yeast my guess is the cheap kind.

• romansbromansb BulletResistant

In podcast #62 Dave talks about how he's going to start recommending Nutreince.

Personally haven't tried it yet.

Where I post my research:
    buildingabetterhuman.com

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci

• edited October 2013

I did the same thing bud, this is the thing you didn't account for. I covered this earlier but it has to do with the foods not having the vitamins and minerals you think they do. Soil is what has the vitamins and minerals, too bad that they only use N,P, and K as an additive to the soil. So let me ask you, what happened to the rest of the vitamins and minerals? That's the thing, you can never get what you need, all the foods today unless you enrich the soil and control it, will be beyond sub par. I'm talking, the food you eat will only keep you alive...I have spent soooo many hours on this topic it's not even funny. At this point I supplement colloidal minerals everyday, take vitamins, and focus on Macro's. Add veggies for fun/fiber because you'r not getting shit out of them. Even Organic though they use something that's a little better than N,P, and K. You will have to face this cold hard fact either now or in the future.

^This is the kinda stuff I'm looking for on the forum :D  I get to benefit from your hard work, then I can spread that knowledge.  I am aware of the issues with soil health, although not to an exact degree as you appear to be.  Dave did an awesome podcast on farming and soil health (#29.)  The jist it is very basic and straight forward, but it's just not in the public consciousness.

Soil Healthy -> Plant & Crop Health -> Animal Health -> Human Health

So yes, I agree the system is messed up so we do need supplements, but do we need to supplement everything?  Let's try to answer these questions as a community, or perhaps you hold the answers already:

To what extent does avg soil health vary by country?  What places in the world is this a greater/smaller issue?

Do we know anything about the soil quality of popular grassfed community recomendations such as US Wellness Meats or Kerry Gold?

When dealing with real-food aquatic sourced products such as Greener Pastures fermented Cod liver oil or wild caught fish the oceanic climate becomes of similar concern.  Can supplementing with sea vegetables offset these risks? (Heavy Metals, pollutants ect)  It seems impossible to believe that omega 3 pills, even a good brand, would be better than wild caught fish.  If that is where we're at as a species, I guess it's just a bit sad :(

What things can we get from real foods, what specifically are those real foods and what exact things have to hold true in their journey to our mouths to make them proper sources?  What things absolutely just have to be supplemented?

• edited October 2013

Six Capsules Contain:

Biotin - 400 mcg

I know it's a lot of work but I imagine it has already been done and is lurking somewhere.  Do you have a "why" for each of these recommendations.  I find it helpful in memorization and learning to understand why we want specific forums and amounts of each item.  I'm sure you (or whomever created this list) did that research and I was just wondering if we could see it so we can understand why these recommendations are what they are.  Awesome post!

• I know it's a lot of work but I imagine it has already been done and is lurking somewhere.  Do you have a "why" for each of these recommendations.  I find it helpful in memorization and learning to understand why we want specific forums and amounts of each item.  I'm sure you (or whomever created this list) did that research and I was just wondering if we could see it so we can understand why these recommendations are what they are.  Awesome post!

Do these exist? How much $$???

• I know it's a lot of work but I imagine it has already been done and is lurking somewhere.  Do you have a "why" for each of these recommendations.  I find it helpful in memorization and learning to understand why we want specific forums and amounts of each item.  I'm sure you (or whomever created this list) did that research and I was just wondering if we could see it so we can understand why these recommendations are what they are.  Awesome post!

I agree! I don't doubt that the research has been done, but where did most of it come from? Will it have variables (weight, age, etc)?

• I realize that multis like "Nutrience" may not be quite optimal but, while I haven't done the math, I do wonder if something like Nutrience gets you pretty close to what you want for a lower price point than going the route of the individual pills. 

I am going to release the definite answer blog post on multivitamins tonight hopefully. Be ready!

• I am going to release the definite answer blog post on multivitamins tonight hopefully. Be ready!

Excited :D

Excited :D

Already released, I made a different thread.

• Hi, everyone to guarantee that you're getting the correct fuel to help a functioning, sound way of life you should need to consider including a multivitamin – one that is unusually detailed to address a lady's issues – to your diet. Multivitamins For Women get amazing thoughts to visit this site.

• While it gives the idea that multivitamin enhancements may have severe impacts, can only nutrient enhancements still hold benefits for the body? The brisk answer: For health Best Bcaa For Women the daily recommended a value of vitamin

• Mutlivitamins and vitamin/mineral supplementation is only needed if you have an unbalanced diet that is lacking or have an illness that inhibits absorption. Many more people may fit into this mold however since it can be difficult to have a well-balanced diet and get all the nutrients you need. Many gimmicks out there when it comes to dietary supplements but it may just be best to go with one that is well-known and has been around for a while such as Equate or Costco's Kirkland Signature brand. I know many that swear by them and there is research that supports taking a daily multi.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file