Pumpkin Pie, Filling And Crust!

edited October 2013 in Bulletproof Recipes

***Update****

I made these pies this week and they turned out great.  I followed the recipe except I reduced the amount of sugar substitute to 1/2 cup (1 cup if doubling recipe).  I also ended up cooking them 10 mins longer than specified (10 mins at 400, 45 mins at 300).  On the crust, I prebaked it for 5 mins before freezing.  Next time, I might do 6 or 7 minutes.  I was good, but was a little mushy.  Kind of just melted in with the filling as you were eating it.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but was not anything like "normal" crust.  So I think cooking it a little longer before hand might help it hold up better.  But I got no complaints, just lots of "Is there any more pie?"  

*********************************************************************************************

Let me start this thread by admitting that I have not actually baked this yet.  I have tried the NON-Bulletproof version and it is amazing. Filling is from Cooks Illustrated and crust is from Against All Grain Cookbook, which is quickly becoming my baking Bible.  I am hoping others will make this and let me know how it turned out.  I will be making this tonight or tomorrow and updating.... I am posting the original recipe for the filling with my substitutions noted....

• For the crust:
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. For the crust:  Preheat oven to 350°F.  Place the dry ingredients in a small bowl and mix.  Place the wet ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer, or use a hand mixer, and beat to continue.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined.  Press the dough evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan.  Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit over the bottom of the crust and fill with pie weights or dried beans.  For a par-baked crust, bake the crust for 5-7 minutes, until it's a very light golden color.  Place the crust in the freezer for 30 minutes, then add the filling and cover with a crust shield or foil to prevent the edges from burning.  Return and bake according to the pie recipe instructions.

(If making a pie with a filling that does not require baking, bake the crust for 15 minutes.  Cool completely, then add filling. )

• For the filling:
  • 1 cup heavy cream - sub canned coconut milk, plus maybe a teaspoon or two of bullet-proof collagen, if you have it?
  • 1 cup whole milk - sub canned coconut milk
  • 3 large eggs plus 2 large yolks
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup drained candied or regular yams from 15-ounce can - sub regular cooked chunks or mashed sweet potato
  • 3/4 cup sugar - sub xylitol/erythritol mix...after making, I now suggest reducing to 1/2 cup
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup - sub raw honey
  • 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or 2 tsp dry
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg - sub all spice
  • 1 teaspoon table salt - sub himalayan salt

1. For the filling: Preheat oven to 400°F.  While pie shell is freezing, whisk coconut milk, collagen, eggs, yolks, and vanilla together in medium bowl. Combine pumpkin puree, sweet potatoes, sugar substitute, honey, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and salt in large heavy-bottomed saucepan; bring to sputtering simmer over medium heat, 5 to 7 minutes. Continue to simmer pumpkin mixture, stirring constantly and mashing sweet potatoes against sides of pot, until thick and shiny, 10 to 15 minutes.  Remove pan from heat and whisk in cream mixture until fully incorporated. Strain mixture through fine-mesh strainer set over medium bowl, using back of ladle or spatula to press solids through strainer ( I have never done the "straining" step and it still turns out great.)  Rewhisk mixture and transfer to prebaked pie shell. Return pie plate with baking sheet to oven and bake pie for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 300°F and continue baking until edges of pie are set (instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 175 degrees), 30 - 45 minutes longer. Transfer pie to wire rack and cool to room temperature, 2 to 3 hours. Cut into wedges and serve.

Comments