Spice Up My Steamed Veggies

I recently bought an electric steamer to use at work to add some variety to my lunches (when I eat at work). Now that it's getting cold out, cold lunches like softboiled eggs and salads don't sound as appealing. I've been steaming broccoli, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, etc. and putting a big dollop of Kerrygold on top with some sea salt.

Does anyone else do this on the regular, and if so, what do you all use (if anything) to spice this up more? I've read The Upgraded Chef and I've made the soup recipes before...very good!

Anyone out there have a certain spice combo/dressing that's good on steamed veggies? I love making my own hollandaise, but that's more difficult to pull off at work.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer

Comments

• damn, wish i had a veggie steamer at my job! 

for herbs i've been mostly sticking with rosemary, thyme, oregano, and parsley, as they seem to be considered the least likely to have toxins and whatnot. i like basil a lot too but prefer to get it fresh, and thats kind of expensive sometimes.

sometimes i'll add a capsule of cayenne or turmeric....i tried ginger capsules but they taste kinda weird so i'm stickin with the fresh ginger for now.

the 2 "sauces" that i've enjoyed the most here were:

"nacho cheese" - carrots, green onions, butter, mct, ACV, and some kind of spice. last week i ran out of onions and used some garlic, it still worked (but not as BP i guess)

"mayonnaise" - avocado, mct, egg yolks. i think that was all...

most of the time i find that MCT, ACV, and salt can be pretty adequate. 

• I like a big dollop of Kerrygold, like you said, with some sea salt, a little black pepper, some ground thyme and a pinch of garlic powder.  I know that garlic isn't in the green section, but I hardly use any and it adds a lot of flavor.  Make sure you stir up the veggies after the butter melts to spread the flavor throughout.  

• I really like adding salt and South African Smoke blend from Trader Joe's to my veggies. Also, not sure if you make your own mayo or not, but I like to make chipotle mayo when I make mine... I add the S&P and ground mustard, but then before I blend it up into the mayo, I also add paprika and chipotle pepper powder (to taste, usually 1/2 tsp minimum of each). Mixing in a tsp or two of my chipotle mayo into hot steamed veg is great!

• i'm not sure if this fits in w/using your steamer, but i like to simmer my veggies in bone broth with salt and add butter afterwards...very flavorful.  in this most recent pot of broth, i added some kaffir lime, fresh red chile, bay leaves, fresh thyme, carrots, onion, fresh ginger, american ginseng...

• I recently bought an electric steamer to use at work to add some variety to my lunches (when I eat at work). Now that it's getting cold out, cold lunches like softboiled eggs and salads don't sound as appealing. I've been steaming broccoli, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, etc. and putting a big dollop of Kerrygold on top with some sea salt.

Does anyone else do this on the regular, and if so, what do you all use (if anything) to spice this up more? I've read The Upgraded Chef and I've made the soup recipes before...very good!

Anyone out there have a certain spice combo/dressing that's good on steamed veggies? I love making my own hollandaise, but that's more difficult to pull off at work.

I make my own pesto -- Basil Macadamia pesto with half olive oil, half kerrygold ghee, about 2 cups of fresh basil, sea salt and an ounce of raw macadamias (optional clove or two of garlic).  This is yummy on vegetables.

The spices I tend to love are thyme and rosemary.

I see you live in Mukilteo?  I am your neighbor, in Snohomish :)

Mary

• I'll have to try that pesto Marielle! Too funny, we live so close! My boyfriend and I always pick up our beef from Kelso's out there. FYI they just started carrying unsalted Kerrygold at the sno-isle co-op in Everett if you ever need any. :)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer

• That's awesome!  I love Kelso's and go there frequently.  I love buying local.  My brother and I went in on half a grass-fed pastured cow from a place from a rancher in Skagit County -- Dave Steele/Forest Cattle.  We had it butchered at Kelso's, and it is amazing meat.  I think in the end it cost about $5.37/lb butchered and wrapped, though I have to admit I didn't go back and weight the end product specifically before putting it in my freezer.  Let me know if you want more info about Forest Cattle, or at some point might have some interest in going in on a cow.  A whole cow is a bit cheaper than half a cow, which is cheaper than a quarter.

Thanks for the tip on PCC.  I usually get my Kerrygold at the Trader Joe's by Everett Mall.  It is $3.19/cube now at TJ's, though you probably know that.  

Mary

• Forest Cattle is where we got our quarter cow! It's great meat! We don't live together and neither of us have huge freezers so we split it, but eventually we want a big freezer chest to keep at his place.

I think Trader Joe's KG is cheaper than the Everett co-op and closer to my house...I'll have to check that out, thanks!

• zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.
    edited June 2014

I like to blend 500g of water with 125g raw cashews, 170g raw cauliflower, 30g MCT and 5g salt until very smooth - sometimes have to add a little more water to reach the desired consistency.

this makes a great neutral base sauce that can be anything from "cream gravy" to "ranch dressing" depending on the seasonings you use, and tastes great on veggies - especially steamed greens.

switch out the cauliflower for cooked acorn/butternut squash or sweet potato for a higher carb cheese-colored base sauce.

if don't have the MCT, butter or coconut oil will work just fine.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• I like to blend 500g of water with 125g raw cashews, 170g raw cauliflower, 30g MCT, 10g collagen and 5g salt until very smooth - sometimes have to add a little more water to reach the desired consistency.

this makes a great neutral base sauce that can be anything from "cream gravy" to "ranch dressing" depending on the seasonings you use, and tastes great on veggies - especially steamed greens.

switch out the cauliflower for cooked acorn/butternut squash or sweet potato for a higher carb cheese-colored base sauce.

if don't have the MCT, butter or coconut oil will work just fine; and the collagen is optional too.

i made this recipe yesterday and added some coconut flour, onions (thanksgiving was a yellow zone day for me), rosemary, thyme, and extra salt and warmed it up just little. i brought it to my folks place so i'd have a gluten-free gravy option and it worked great!

• zero33: I'd love to see this and some of your flavour variations as its own thread in the recipes forum.

• Salmon or Black Cod fat drizzled over vegetables is absolutely delicious! 

• SpipsSpips The Chosen Second

This thread is gold. I myself was just looking for ways to spice up steamed veggies.

[twitter]brennynm[/twitter]

facebook.com/brennyn.mackey

Spotify: 1254087461

The funny thing about this signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything meaningful, it's too late to stop reading.

5MzBMYN.jpg