Recreating Jason Nunnelley's Experiment

My current work contract runs out at the end of the month, and since I don't have another one lined up, I am going to do some experiments!

One of them is loosely recreating Jason Nunnelley's experiment from podcast #41: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/podcast-41self-tracking-with-jason-nunnelley/

The rules (I've modified for myself):

1. Must eat 250g block of butter and 12 whole eggs EVERY DAY consecutively for 30 days

2. They can be cooked any way I like, as long as I get them in

3. I can drink coffee, eat fresh vegetables and meat if I want, as long as I eat the butter and eggs

4. Refeed day optional, but will be either white rice or sweet potato, along with the butter and eggs for that day

5. No other carbs or sugars, processed foods or anything else allowed - BP foods only of course!

I’m getting a blood test shortly, so I can use that as a starting point and I’ll get another one at the end.

I've got activated charcoal and some ester-C as far as detox goes. Since I won't have a job I'm hesitant to pay for anything else.

Is there anything I should be tracking? Cholesterol is the main one and AST etc for liver.

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

@MaverickAzz suggested a couple of supplements to add:

- N-Acetyl Cysteine: http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-N-Acetyl-Cysteine-600-mg-120-Tablets/1291

- B-Complex: http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-B-Complex-12-60-Veggie-Caps/18126

- Milk Thistle: http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Milk-Thistle-150-mg-100-Capsules/40602

Any issues with those product selections? Those brands are pretty good as far as I'm aware.

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-NAC-Critical-Antioxidant-600-mg-100-Vcaps/37836

Otherwise looks ok. Maybe John Brisson could comment on the Milk Thistle?

No sorcery, just science. 

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

It's the milk thistle I recommend so rock on. I would also recommend the Jarrow Formulas Bi Layer NAC as well.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

I checked in on the podcast episode and Jason's experiment was actually "1/4 pound of butter" per day, which works out at slightly less than half a 250g block.

Today, I checked whether I could physically eat a 250g block. I put half in my BPC which was a bit difficult to drink, and the other half melted over my meatloaf for lunch, which ended up like soup (and everyone in the office kitchen saying I'm going to be fat, haha!)

So I will adjust the experiment to 1/2 a block per day (125g) and the same 12 eggs.

The supplements arrived yesterday, and so I just need to organise the blood test and I'll be ready to begin!

What specific things should I be asking for in the blood test? 

On a side note, after eating the 1/6 of a kg size serving of beef and bacon meatloaf with 125g of butter melted in, I am feeling supercharged! WOW!

That's good to know; there are my "stakes" to make me go through with it!

I missed my window to get a blood test goddammit, so I have to postpone for a week. I've started taking the supps anyway, and I think the NAC is giving me a headache. I've put it down to a herx reaction, otherwise I have no idea what could be causing it.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Hi, I didn't find the podcast transcript and haven't have the time to listen to it since the opening of this post, so I rather just ask, what is the goal of this? Raising HDL?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• I have seen guys on bodybuilding forums taking 15 whole eggs a day for a month and cholesterol became better, so I have confidence this won't do you bad either. Curious to see results, great experiment!

• I did soothing similar recently, but it went awry because I made omelets from the eggs.  This gave me too much oxidized cholesterol and raised some alarms for my doctor.  I've gone back to raw, poached, or soft-boiled eggs hoping it will make all the difference.

Good luck with the experiment.

It will be mainly a cholesterol improving exercise, but I'm interested to see what else changes. It will be especially satisfying to explain what happened to my moronic Doctor, who is the one who labelled me "hypercholesterolemic", told me to stop eating butter and eat margarine instead, and make sure I cut all the fat off my meat before I eat it!

I would love to sit there after this experiment while he is looking at my improved results and show him a photo of what I ate on a daily basis. I'm looking forward to it!

Tasks left before I begin:

- finalise list of things to ask for on my blood tests

- book the Dr to order the tests

- get the blood drawn

LDL, HDL, Trigs, Apo-B (this is closer to the LDL-P, which isn't done in Aus) for cholesterol.

Get him to check liver function too. 

I've also had a doctor suggest that I start putting margarine in my coffee. Needless to say, he was fucking fat. The ego of some people. How can a fat guy give out nutritional advice? It's like Josef Fritzl giving out parenting advice.

• LDL, HDL, Trigs, Apo-B (this is closer to the LDL-P, which isn't done in Aus) for cholesterol.

Get him to check liver function too. 

I've also had a doctor suggest that I start putting margarine in my coffee. Needless to say, he was fucking fat. The ego of some people. How can a fat guy give out nutritional advice? It's like Josef Fritzl giving out parenting advice.

Ew, he isn't that disgusting man that I had almost blocked from my mind until you reminded me of him, is he?

Ew, he isn't that disgusting man that I had almost blocked from my mind until you reminded me of him, is he?

I'm not sure what goes through your mind, Missy. In saying that... he probably is the same one.  :-P

2e80c907efe4fce88be139cb76b038c13ee8f1e5

Google "Josef Fritzl"

Basically, he locked his daughter in his basement for 20+ years and raped her repeatedly. Ended up fathering like 7 kids to his own daughter. Austrian's always creep me out lol

Was it 7 kids?! I wonder if he had a copy of the Better Baby Book...

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013

It's just the country next to us but here pensioners can hardly support themselves, and just over the border they can secretly feed so many people...

People get arrested for growing weed in their home because the heavy electricity and water bills arise suspicion... but nobody noticed this? :???:

I know! He had a wife the whole time too! Something smells like bullshit with the whole thing. 

• I'd encourage you to closely identify [all] dietary and nutritional changes, but especially new drugs. And, I'd consider milk thistle a potential "new drug" if you've not been taking it pre-experiment.

The primary impact people watch for dietary fat intake is liver related. Lipids are a direct result of liver health, so an improvement in lipid balance [could] be effected by taking new drugs or it [could] be impacted by dietary changes. Even adding vitamins, like a high dose B vitamin complex, could change the outcome and make it harder to identify the important change agent.

Build something beautiful.

Nobody like the man himself to bring us back on topic! Welcome to the forum :-D

Once again I have failed to visit the doctor to beg for a blood test, so it will have to be next weekend. That should give me 2 weeks on the supplements, which I hope is enough time to get used to them. I eat pretty bulletproof and have done for most of this year.
    Finally, today, I had the blood drawn and have already consumed 6 raw eggs. I'm now sipping a 600ml BPC with about 80g of butter in it.

Supps today have been 8,000 IU of Vit D, 1 B complex, 1 milk thistle, 1 l-theanine (why not?), 2g ester C, 2 NAC tabs.

This is Xmas week so there will be some junk food around. As long as I eat the eggs and butter though, I'll be happy!

The day after I drew the blood, I started getting symptoms of a cold. I'm sure that will show in the blood tests. I've stuck to the eggs and butter every day, and had Xmas lunch and other snacks in between. Nothing too bad, mostly nuts and fruit.

I'm on day 8 today and still going strong. The hardest part is physically eating the butter and eggs. I've resorted to putting all the butter in my BPC in the morning and drinking the eggs raw - this has started to make me gag a bit. I found a magical trick of not breathing at all while having the eggs and eating a little piece of 85% Lindt, chewing that up and then resuming breathing. The resulting aftertaste is not disgusting raw eggs, but a chocolate eggy taste which is basically the pleasant (mentally associated) taste of chocolate cake mix. I'm going to abuse that trick a lot!

If I cook the eggs, it takes too long to eat them and my stomach tells me to stop before I finish. It makes it a lot harder to eat them then.

Also, I didn't think about this until now, but we buy JUMBO eggs and I'm sure the original experiment was probably with regular sized eggs, so I'm probably eating about 16 eggs worth!

I'm back at work today so I hope to keep the snacking to a minimum and try to get through the day with just eggs and butter.

The only protein powder I have at the moment is Upgraded Collagen... so it would end up tasting worse, haha! Good idea though, I might just add cocoa powder or something.

I accidentally ate 14 eggs yesterday, but tough shit, I still have to do 12 today. Its getting VERY difficult to get the food in. If I don't get in early and spread it out over the day, I pay for it later. Try eating 8 fried eggs with 125g of melted butter over the top at 9pm at night! :shock:

Now NY is over and normal life can resume, I will try to not to eat anything else until day 30 rolls by. After that and the blood test, I'm going to go cold turkey on the eggs and taper the butter down - I'm hoping this excessive amount of fat I've been eating will be really kicking my body into learning how to use fat properly, so by tapering down it will really switch on the burning of body fat.

On Day 13, and I have 4 eggs to go. I'm really getting sick of eating eggs!

I've been back at work, and rather than carry around a big bag of eggs, I've been consuming all the butter in my BPC in the morning, and having all the eggs once I get home. I'm far too full in the morning to even have 1 egg. Only 2 weeks left on this. I'm looking forward to eating something else for dinner soon!

Day 16, just passed the half way mark. It feels like its been going on forever! I can't wait for the night that I go home and not eat 12 eggs!

I've been wondering about the biotin. I'm taking the B complex, but I wonder what the deal with the avidin is. Should I take the B away from the raw eggs?

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Just curious, after what number of eggs are you experiencing difficulties? I've never tried eating 12 a day but I can easily eat 6 at once... After how many days did it get tough? Did you gain / lose?

Its more the eating of eggs EVERY day. Even the first lot (I crack 3-4 in a mug, stir them up and drink them) is rough. I've found having a couple of hazelnuts before I resume breathing completely kills the egg aftertaste. I'm not tracking my weight, but I did jump on last week and its roughly the same as before I started.

Day 19 - on the final stretch now. I had 4 scrambled eggs last night as a "treat". I haven't had many cooked yolks in this experiment due to the oxidised cholesterol probably not being too clever considering how many eggs I'm eating.

125g of butter in the morning is effortless now. It just feels normal having a BPC with that much butter! It will be strange going back to 40g.