How Can I Get Grass Fed Beef? (Thailand)

Hey, I would love to find a source of "confirmed" grass fed beef. I hear rumors some of the local stuff is grass fed, as some of the villagers would only have a few cows and sell them at markets, but asking them would not be reliable as they would say what they think you want to hear. Visibly inspecting the meat might be the best bet-... there is also imported australian beef which I hear is grass fed, but it is very expensive, 900 baht/kilo for the cheapest and up to 1800 baht/kilo for the ribeye which is roughly $13 - $26/pound and I am not positive it is grass fed.

What can I do? I would buy an entire cow if needed, but ideally I would be able to just find a local source, where the price could be as low as $1 a pound for grass fed beef. I have tried some local forums, and I get a lot of "yea that would be great let me know if you find anything" but no helpful answers.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Have you seen the replies on http://paleohacks.com/questions/91551/sources-for-grass-fed-beef-in-thailand#axzz21XoG2sKL ?

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much. Have you tried the water buffalo? Bound to be locally raised and in good health, but not sure how easy it is to come by. Try to speak to some locals, not just falangs.

I lived in Phuket for 3 months and I really miss the delicious food over there...
  • Hi Mark,

I think the best is to get to know your farmers. Go and see for yourself where their animals are living and ask the farmers how they keep them healthy. I can't really imagine that villagers with only a few cows can afford buying feed or hormones. Aren't there enough greens in Thailand for animals to feed on? I can imagine that you might have to buy a live cow from a villager and take it into town to get slaughtered - ensuring freshness.

You could also consider sharing the costs of a whole cow with some of the local members in the forum that you talked about.

Regards

Andre
  • Hi Mark,

I think the best is to get to know your farmers. Go and see for yourself where their animals are living and ask the farmers how they keep them healthy. I can't really imagine that villagers with only a few cows can afford buying feed or hormones. Aren't there enough greens in Thailand for animals to feed on? I can imagine that you might have to buy a live cow from a villager and take it into town to get slaughtered - ensuring freshness.

You could also consider sharing the costs of a whole cow with some of the local members in the forum that you talked about.

Regards

Andre
  • kelimutu-water-buffalo.jpg

This is how water buffalos are kept in Thailand. Seems pretty tasty to me! (but I never tried them when I was there, although I suspect it would have been in the local dishes you buy on the street)
  • I have definitely seen free roaming water buffalo while I was in Phuket, but I have never seen them in Chiang Mai, nor seen them in a Market. I would think they are completely natural grass fed, but I am not sure about that, that said, I think you are right and that is probably my best bet. Maybe a supermarket would have some. (They definitely don't put it in the local dishes on the street, at least I have nevre seen it. There is one restaurant I know of that does do water buffalo steaks). "Kwai"s. Calling someone a buffalo is a pretty big insult here, I can kind of see why, the animal doesn't look particularly intelligent.

I did offer a cow share, but finding a grass fed source even while buying a whole cow seems very troublesome. If I was acutally close enough to farms/villagers who are raising the cows I could just drive out there, but I have no idea where they are, and they are definitely not close. Organic meat is very hard to come by according to the farmers I have spoken to.

Thanks for the replies image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • I absolutely love U.S. Wellness Meats. I've probably given them $1,000 in business this year alone. They have a ton of different grass-fed products and the stuff tastes great. Plus, they only charge something like $7.50 for shipping/handling to send a huge frozen package up to 40 lbs of product. Their Pemmican is one of the ultimate Bulletproof foods you can find. 400 powerhouse calories of grass-fed beef and beef tallow. One of those and a glass of water and you're full for 6 hours. It works just as well as Bulletproof coffee for me. I tend to alternate. Most days I do the BC, but a couple times a week I just grab a stick of the Pemmican. Here is their website ...

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok
  • they don't do international shipping, otherwise I would definitely order from them.