Mold Toxicity Protocol

Hi! My Wife, my cat and I started having some weird symptoms in the past few months that included hair loss, congested noes, inflamed eyes , extremely dry skin, loss of appetite, fatigue, anxiety,  etc. Initially we associated these symptoms with the change in diet but lately we discovered that we have been exposed to toxic black mold which was all over our new apartment. We moved and got rid of all our stuff  and now we feel better. But still quite sick. 

Could you recommend any treatment and supplements  ( apart from Glutathione) to recover from mold toxicity? 

Comments

• RodRod The Rodfather

Hi, 

How do you know you have mold issues? Test? Please supply as much info as possible. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• Before moving we mad sure to invite some mold detection. Our entire bathroom floor was covered with one of the most toxic black molds. Upon moving to this apartment, we both got acne (tons of it after not having it at all before). We did feel better after moving and the skin conditions were also gone. The brain fog dizziness and hair loss are still here though .

We also both took the he visual contrast test (VCS) which tests the nerves that run from the eye to the back of the head (those harmed by biotoxins will lose their ability to detect the subtle differences between white, grey, and black). We both tested positive. 

We are both eating bulletproof and have been eating the same thing for a long time. Before moving we did not have any problem with diet or anything else.

• BP-RoninBP-Ronin
    edited November 2013

Instead of Fifty Shades of Grey they only get about ten. ;)  But seriously, that sounds un-fun.

I'm also wondering what to do about mold. I can't say for sure that mold is the culprit in some of my ailments, but I do have various issues and I figure getting rid of mold should be on the agenda. After attacking a previously existing mold condition in my shower drain area I've discovered a pretty serious mold condition in the tank of my toilet as well. Here in japan old style toilets have a faucet on top of the tank so that you can wash your hands with the refilling water. As delightfully frugal as it may sound, It turns out not to be a very smart idea because it creates a colony inside the tank. My landlord says that she might let me switch to a different apartment in her catalog but I'm not sure if I can go through the hassle of moving at the moment. Unfortunately the inside of the tank has styrofoam insulation ... difficult to clean. A bleach pellet of some sort could help. H2O2 would be preferable but I doubt that it comes in pellet form.

The repair man that my landlady sent around to look at the problem just said, "this is pretty normal over here".

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Hi Yojik,

I am a fellow mold survivor named Rob. I'm glad you got out of that house you were living in. That stuff will just tear you down to nothing. There are definitely some things you can do to take care of your residual mold problems in your body. First of all, keep eating Bulletproof. Avoid beans, cheeses, vinegar, grains, and moldy fruits. Don't eat leftovers. I've been eating like this for almost a year, and it helps me a great deal. When I don't follow this, I have serious issues.

One of the most important things is to get a support group that you can turn to. Please watch this wonderful documentary about mold called Black Mold Exposure. It is informative, entertaining, and very uplifting. It even has an interview with Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker in it! You can obtain the documentary at:

www.blackmoldexposure.com

I did a pretty strong anti-candida protocol of low carb and antifungal supplements/medications, but you have to make sure that when you're doing these things you are taking care of your gallbladder and liver. Please be sure to take a quality molybdenum and some milk thistle. Digestive enzymes with HCL/pancreatic enzymes/pepsin/ox bile help you to digest if you're having digestive issues.

Clearing out toxins is key. You can either do the natural stuff like activated charcoal (use the bulletproof kind) and bentonite clay (find a quality brand), or you can get a very powerful and proven mold/lyme detoxing agent called cholestyramine or Welchol. I recommend Welchol. It is a cholesterol-lowering drug that also just so happens to clear out mold toxins. It's almost unbelievable, but it really works.

Do antifungals like SF722 (works like a charm with little side effects), monolaurin, coconut oil, and other stuff.

Dave's recommendations for baseline supplementation, especially Vitamins C and D are very helpful in building up your immune system again after having it torn down by the mold.

I have recently learned that pantethine (B5) is very good for protecting your liver, similar to molybdenum and milk thistle.

Keep believing and fighting. You will be fine. Please watch the movie. It is very helpful!

Thanks,

Rob

Before moving we mad sure to invite some mold detection. Our entire bathroom floor was covered with one of the most toxic black molds. Upon moving to this apartment, we both got acne (tons of it after not having it at all before). We did feel better after moving and the skin conditions were also gone. The brain fog dizziness and hair loss are still here though .

We also both took the he visual contrast test (VCS) which tests the nerves that run from the eye to the back of the head (those harmed by biotoxins will lose their ability to detect the subtle differences between white, grey, and black). We both tested positive. 

We are both eating bulletproof and have been eating the same thing for a long time. Before moving we did not have any problem with diet or anything else.

• Was hoping to get some advice on this topic.  My GF and I noticed mold in our apartment and we have had itchy eyes, throat, and lower energy than normal after moving here.  We contacted landlord about the issue and are hoping to be able to get out of our lease but in the meantime what should we be doing?  I'll watch that documentary.  I've been spraying vinegar/lemon mix to clean cause I don't wanna create a mutant mold leviathan.  Bleach or no bleach?  Would air purifiers help?  Is the mold a lung threat or GI or both?  I'm really naive about this topic so any input from those with experience is helpful. 

Rob: you mentioned avoiding vinegar.  Does this include apple cider vinegar?

• I just recently barely escaped a highly toxic, moldy place, that I was in for a year in a half, slowly being poisoned. A few months ago, it reach a crescendo. I had violent reactions. When I moved, I was 95% better within 24 hours.

Mold can cause basically any symptom. There are hundreds of species of toxic mold that produce thousands of different mycotoxins. That's why my health slowly diminished and then snowballed into oblivion, despite doing everything right like going outside, inhalers, gas masks, respirators, taking supplements, and paying very close attention to diet. I was lucky in retrospect. I know people who have had it infinitely worse than I did (tumors, heart attacks, etc). Here is a list of symptoms compiled from people suffering mold toxicity:

In alphabetical order, this just about covers every possible symptom. Only those afflicted would not be surprised at the number of symptoms experienced by the average mold victim. Others may think you are crazy when you mention your symptoms. Some people actually believe they are crazy but, in reality, having 20, 30 or more of these symptoms is not uncommon. What is uncommon is finding a Dr who believes you and can treat for these symptoms. How can they possibly treat an illness that they refuse to diagnose.

abdominal pain

abnormal pap smears

acid reflux

acne

allergy symptoms (wide variety of)

mild to severe and from transitory to chronic - Ref: Middleton and assoc.

Allergic bronchiopulmonary Aspergillosis - worsening of underlying asthma or cystic fibrosis,

coughing up blood, weight loss - uncommon

Allergic Rhinitis and asthma are associated with responses mediated by immunoglobulin E (IgE)

altered immunity

anaphylaxis

apnea, sleep

Aspergilloma (fungal growth in lung), cough, coughing up blood, weight loss. Uncommon.

asthma and asthmatic signs

asthma, adult onset

asthma, sudden onset, any age

asthma, increased symptoms or renewal of previously diminished symptoms

Asthma due to fungal allergens: chest tightness, wheezing, cough, dyspnea. Worsens w/ exposure. Cx typically occur within 1 hr of exposure

B

balance, loss of

bladder and kidney pain

bleeding lungs

blood pressure irregularities

body aches and muscle pains

boils on skin, especially neck, especially following disturbance of moldy materials (S. chartarum) (photos on file)

breathing difficulties

Bronchopulmonary aspergillosis / allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis: inflammatory disease caused by immunologic response Aspergillus sp., usually A. fumigatus, growing in bronchi of asthmatics reported in immunocompromised patients and patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and has been linked to building-related illness (BRI)

bruising easily

burning mouth

burning eyes

burning throat

burning lungs

C

cancer

candida, systemic

Chronic Candidiasis FAQ - see Dr. Fungus: doctorfungus.org/mycoses/human/candida/Chronic_Candidiasis.htm

central nervous system disorders (CNS)

chest pain associated with excessive coughing

chills

choking

cholesterol or triglycerides unusual variations

chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)

chronic sinus infections

coated tongue

coccidioidomycosis

colds, recurrent

constipation

cough, dry hacking

coughing up blood

cryptococcosis

D

dandruff resistant to usual treatments

dark urine

death in extreme cases (humans, other animals)

depression

Dermatitis: red, itchy skin, rashes

diarrhea

difficulty concentrating

difficulty in swallowing

dirt-like taste in mouth

disorientation

dizziness

E

endometriosis

eye infections, (beware of undiagnosed fungal eye infections), loss of vision

eye irritation

F

face flushing intermittent

facial movements, unexplained twitching

farmers' lung disease

fevers

fibrous discharge from the nose, nasal fibers, mucosa - (See Morgellon's syndrome or Morgellon's disease below)

fibromyalgia - numerous websites and articles discuss possible connections between mold exposure and

Fibromyalgia - including these:

http://www.mold-survivor.com/fibromyalgia.html

http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/SigmaXi/docs/PosterSummaries2003/zagory-

jessica.pdf#search=%22Fibromyalgia%20mold%20%22 - Swarthmore study

http://www.personalconsult.com/cgi-bin/htsearch - free clinical search

we have also corresponded with people who report suffering from Fibromyalgia and significant mold exposures, though the identification of genera/species and level of exposure were lacking.

flu-like symptoms: WARNING: flu-like symptoms can be a sign of potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning! Immediate help may be required.

food allergies

frequent bloody noses

frequent infections

fungal infections, systemic such as histoplasmosis, coccidioidomycosis, and cryptococcosis, responding to contaminated bird droppings or construction dusts

G

Glucan sensitivity: Glucans are glucose polymers that are components of most fungal cell walls, and exposure

to airborne 13-beta-D-glucan has been known to cause irritation symptoms due to airway

inflammation (7). However, these irritant effects are transient and self-limiting

H

hair loss

headaches

heart attack

Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis - (Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis) - tightness of chest,

difficulty breathing, cough, fever, muscle aches, reactions occur 6-8 hrs after exposure. - Uncommon.

hemorrhagic pneumonitis

Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis - (Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis) -

heartburn

histoplasmosis

hives

hypersensitivity to airborne allergens or house dust

hypersensitivity to mold

hypersensitivity pneumonitis, associated with T-cell responses and responses mediated by

immunoglobulin G (IgG). hypersensitivity pneumonitis is characterized by recurrent symptoms of

fever, cough, and chest tightness and the presence of pulmonary infiltrates on a chest radiograph.

Chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis features progressive dyspnea, fatigue, interstitial pneumonitis, and

pulmonary fibrosis (Farmer's lung)

Alphabetic Index I

immune system deterioration, decreased resistance

indigestion

infertility

invasive pulmonary aspergillosis - pneumonia, fever, bone pain, chills - occurs in immunocompromised patients - uncommon

irritation: aggravated existing allergic rhinitis or asthma

irritability

irritable bowel syndrome

itching skin, eye, nose, mouth

J

judgment, loss of ability to think clearly and make decisions

K

kidney pain and failure

L

learning difficulties

leaky gut syndrome

liver pain

long lasting flu-like symptoms

Alphabetic Index M

memory loss

menopause, unanticipated onset

metallic taste in mouth

migraine headaches

mood swings, sudden

Morgellon's syndrome or Morgellon's disease: symptoms including fibers in nasal secretions

fibers in skin and scalp particles or scrapings - skin lesions

mucous accumulation on back of the throat

multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS)

mycosis - various mycoses ascribed to mold exposure including

Aspergillosis

Blastomycosis

Candidiasis

Coccidioidomycosis

Cryptococcosis

Histoplasmosis

Paracoccidiomycosis

Sporotrichosis

Zygomycosis

also see Trichothecene poisoning (below)

mycotoxicosis - Mycotoxins, which typically are cytotoxic, disrupt cell membranes and interfere with the synthesis of protein, RNA, and DNA The only well-documented human mycotoxicoses have been the result of ingestion rather than inhalation

also see Trichothecene poisoning (below)

Alphabetic Index N

nasal discharge, green slime, fungus, mucous, other (See Morgellon's syndrome or Morgellon's disease above)

neck boils or round rash spots (see online photos)

night sweats and hot flashes

nose irritation

nosebleeds

numbness in face and limb

O

odors, increased sensitivity to (See ODOR DIAGNOSIS CHECKLIST)

Pungent odors may initiate avoidance reactions, a generalized feeling of discomfort, breath holding, and a burning sensation on the skin

open skin sores and lacerations

open sores on head

organic dust toxic syndrome

Alphabetic Index P

peripheral nervous system effects

personality changes

pets, sudden odd behavior, aggressiveness, disorientation, running in circles,

stumbling, falling, respiratory disorder, sudden death, incl8uding death of pets due to pulmonary hemorraging [area of ongoing research by DJF - web author] See: circling disease in sheep. See "The Toxic Effects of Mycotoxins on Humans, Sheep, & Possibly on Pets" discussed at MOLD EXPOSURE STANDARDS

pets, Cryptococcosis of Cats

poor appetite

puffy or droopy eyes

Pulmonary hemorrhaging:

Stachybotrys chartarum (S. atra) is a large sticky spore not easily made airborne. Stachybotrys mycotoxin was thought to cause acute pulmonary hemorrhage and death in infants, but the CDC has stated that the association has not been proved).

About 10 ng of mycotoxins are produced for every 1 million mold spores [Probably widely variable from zero to high numbers based on environmental variables as well as species variation--DF].

Assuming the exposure is cumulative, inhalation of 109 spores per hour would be required for toxic effects. [This is a very low level and easily obtained in circumstances where occupants are exposed to moldy building materials during demolition or cleaning.-- DJF]

Therefore, [in the opinion of some experts--DF] it is unlikely that inhalation of fungal parts presumed to contain mycotoxins could produce significant human illness--particularly in a nonagricultural setting.

Alphabetic Index QR

rashes

redness of eyes

respiratory distress

rhinitis

ringing in ears

runny nose

Alphabetic Index S

seizures

smells, increased sensitivity to

spleen pain

shortness of breath (see Asthma, COPD, respiratory disorders)

sinus congestion

sinusitis, cronic

skin rashes or irritation

skin redness

sleep disorders

slurred speech or verbal dysfunction (trouble in speaking)

sneezing fits

spitting up or vomiting mucous

swollen glands

swollen lymph nodes

Syndromes, mold-related

Chromoblastomycosis

Eye Infections

Lobomycosis

Mycetoma

Nail, Hair, and Skin disease

Onychomycosis (Tinea unguium)

Piedra

Pityriasis versicolor

Tinea barbae

Tinea capitis

Tinea corporis

Tinea cruris

Tinea favosa

Tinea nigra

Tinea pedi

Otomycosis

Phaeohyphomycosis

Rhinosporidiosis

Systemic candida infection

Alphabetic Index T

Throat irritation

Tightness in the chest (this can be a common symptom of many complaints including mold-triggered asthma attacks)

Tinea: most common fungal disease is this superficial mycosis, not linked to IAQ/building-related illness

Tremors (shaking)

Trichothecene poisoning (Alternate names: Mycotoxins, T2, Yellow rain) - possibly related to mycotoxin exposure from some molds.

The US CDC offers lab criteria for diagnosis of Trichothecend poisoning including:

Biologic: Selected commercial laboratories are offering immunoassays to identify trichothecenes or trichothecene-specific antibodies in human blood or urine (2, 3). However, these procedures have not been analytically validated and are not recommended.

Environmental: Detection of trichothecene mycotoxins in environmental samples, as determined by FDA.

References for poisoning by mycotoxins, T2, Yellow Rain, or Trichothecenes:

Clinical Guide to Bioweapons and Chemical Agents, Vincent E. Friedewald, Springer, London, ISBN 978-1-84628-787-9 (online),

Trichothecene poisoning is discussed in depth at the US CDC website where the following references are also provided:

Wannemacher RW Jr, Wiener SL. Trichothecene mycotoxins. In: Zajtchuk R, Bellamy RF, eds. Textbook of military medicine: medical aspects of chemical and biologic warfare. Washington, DC: Office of the Surgeon General at TMM Publications, Borden Institute, Walter Reed Army Medical Center; 1997:655-77.

Croft WA, Jastromski BM, Croft AL, Peters HA. Clinical confirmation of trichothecene mycotoxicosis in patient urine. J Environ Biol 2002;23:301-20.

Vojdani A, Thrasher HD, Madison RA, Gray MR, Heuser G, Campbell AW. Antibodies to molds and satratoxin in individuals exposed in water-damaged buildings. Arch Environ Health. 2003;58:421-32.

Tuomi T, Reijula K, Johnsson T, et al. Mycotoxins in crude building materials from water-damaged buildings. Appl Environ Microbiol 2000;66:1899-904.

US CDC: "Case Definition: Trichothecene Mycotoxin", http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/trichothecene/casedef.asp

U

unexplained fevers

upper respiratory symptoms (eg, nasal congestion, sinus headache, episodic dyspnea)

urinary tract infection (UTI)

3/30/09 discusses the possibility of making weapons from Trichothecene mycotoxins.

Alphabetic Index V

vaginal yeast infections - wee Women' health problems (below)

vertigo or dizziness

VOC sensitivity:

volatile organic chemicals may reach levels sufficient to produce central nervous system symptoms such as headache, inability to concentrate, or dizziness

vomiting (nausea)

WXYZ

weakness, loss of strength

wheezing breath

women's health problems, nonspecific

yeast infections, vaginal, (other?) symptoms: Vaginal. Recurrent episodes of Candida vaginitis associated with the classic symptoms of pruritus, burning and abnormal discharge.

Gastrointestinal. Heartburn, bloating, diarrhea or constipation.

Respiratory allergy. Rhinitis, sneezing and/or wheezing.

Central nervous system. Anxiety, depression, memory deficits and/or loss of ability to

concentrate.

Menstrual abnormalities. Severe premenstrual tension and/or menstrual irregularities.

Other Systemic Symptoms.

Fatigue, headache and/or irritability.

The worst ones are Stachybotrys, from black mold and the group of mycotoxins called "trichothecene" which are and were used in biological warfare.

There is also a difference between mold allergy and mold toxicity, For me, I showed allergic symptoms at first but then I clearly was overloaded and showed signs of toxicity. I found this question and answer useful in differentiating:

Would you please define for me the

difference between being allergic > to mold vs. suffering from

toxicity?

Date: 12-01-2001 01:08

You have asked an excellent and difficult question. I will answer it

from a clinical point of view from my own experiences, from

experience gained by discussing symptoms with those afflicted and

from my reading of the literature.

Allergic symptoms to mold would include sneezing; a running and itchy

nose; watering and itching of the eyes; nasal stuffiness; respiratory

symptoms such as wheezing and coughing, especially in asthmatics;

itching of the skin.

Toxic symptoms are due to mycotoxins on the mold spores. They can

include: memory loss ; attention deficit/concentration problems ;

personality changes such as irritability or depression; neurological

disorders such as tremors; tingling or burning of nose, mouth;

chronic fatigue; dizziness; nausea/vomiting; bleeding in the lungs;

suppression of the immune system; headache; flu-like symptoms; red

eyes (without watering or itching); incoordination; muscle spasms

and cramps; damage to internal organs. Toxic symptoms from these

mycotoxins have similarities to toxic symptoms from poisoning.

Stachybotrys spores produce multiple mycotoxins, including

trichothecenes. Trichothecenes have been produced commercially for

use in biological warfare. These are strong neurotoxins. Mycotoxins

are nearly all cytotoxic, disrupting various cellular structures such

as membranes, and interfering with vital cellular processes such as

protein, RNA and DNA synthesis

If you were to meet a person suffering from allergy to mold, that

person would most likely complain of symptoms similar to those

of `hay fever'. Those symptoms are detailed above under "allergic

symptoms". The symptoms would most likely be described as annoying

(with varying degrees of annoyance); they would not, however, be

described as devastating. Their symptoms would be rather straight

forward , easily observable and easily understandable.

If you were to meet a person suffering from toxicity due to mold

mycotoxins, your first impression might be that the person is

affected by a mental problem. Your first thought might be that the

person would be best off consulting a psychiatrist or a

psychologist. The person might have a lot of vague symptoms –

symptoms way out of proportion to what you could observe – symptoms

that might be difficult for the affected person to explain and for

you to understand. But, the underling theme, if you listened

carefully, would be that of toxicity. Most likely the toxic person

would complain of extreme fatigue, weakness, tiredness, flu-like

symptoms, and often respiratory problems: but not usually coughing or

wheezing. Instead, he/she would complain of terrible burning or

soreness in his/her lungs, possibly aggravated with exertion or

exercise. And, instead of telling you that the experience was one of

annoyance (to a lesser or greater degree) as allergy sufferers would

tell you, the toxic sufferer would more likely describe her/his

experience as a hellish nightmare.

The toxic sufferer's behavior would more likely be that of a frantic

effort to get away from the contaminated source and an almost

paranoiac effort to rid themselves of contaminated materials. This

is in stark contrast to the allergic sufferer who would most likely

find the offending mold to be more of a nuisance rather than a

substance sent from hell.

I hope this will be of help to you.

Joseph P. Klein, Sr., M.D.

It's all relative.

• edited February 2014

I had no testing done, not in the apartment or in my body because it is so expensive, but the landlord had some guys spray a chemical they couldn't pronounce. I think it was ammonia chloride... something along those lines. I had black mold, yellow mold in multiple places and the entire building I was in was infested with it. One apartment 2 doors down from me had flooded and the guy said there was black mold 4 feet up the back wall and the carpet was "multicolored with fuzzy mold"... which is completely terrifying to me due to how I reacted.

What I learned is that bleach is no good. I'm under the impression that certain molds "eat bleach" (someone verify this?) and that the water from the bleach mixture can "soak into the walls" essentially feeding the mold mycelium network that is in the walls even if you kill the surface mold (again, verification please). Apparently ammonia is the way to go. Luckily, all I had was ammonia products anyways. You can buy cleaning products that have ammonia inherent in them or put some in water at a concentration of 1%.

Some say that you should leave everything behind when you move or throw everything away. I'm not sure I buy that. I'm sure it is circumstantial, but the idea is that spores come with you and can cross contaminate, and that makes sense to me. I threw away a lot of porous items that were near moldy areas and all my cleaning products. Everything else I essentially soaked in ammonia. Some people put ammonia in with their clothes in a washer.. I didn't. Some are even taking ammonia baths which can cause rapid detox... that makes me nervous, so I didn't do it.

What I did:

I was already eating bulletproof and learned about mycotoxins... which is kind of ironic since I then proceeded to be attacked by mold. I imagine that is why I bounced back so rapidly; I was already taking detox supplements as maintenance as well, so there was this built up resiliency. I was taking calcium D-glucarate but ran out in the early stages. Other than that, lots of upgraded charcoal and bentonite clay. Bentonite clay was the #1 thing that made me feel awesome within 30 minutes of taking. Just don't use a metal utensil! I also took between 2 and 10 grams of vitamin C a day and my normal supplement regimen.

Air purifiers definitely help. Make sure they have a HEPA filter and to clean the filter and the purifier with ammonia because they will accumulate mold. I suggest keeping the heat up and running a dehumidifier (and cleaning it with ammonia) where the mold was found. Put HEPA filters in furnace, air conditioners, and vent covers. You could use a P95 or better face mask.

I've heard of everything that others suggested above as well and haven't tried some of them. I did start taking Betaine HCL and enzymes because my entire digestive system was broken, basically. Nothing was digesting, just sitting there and I was having histamine problems.

This is a very good video by Dave. He explains a good detox protocol for mold toxicity:

He mentions in the video that coconut oil is susceptible to mold growth...

It's all relative.

• edited February 2014
    Wow I just joined the forum and just in time. I've been Paleo/bulletproof for over 2 years and proud of myself that I have only had one brief cold in that time. I work very hard at keeping toxins/chemicals out of my life. I recently moved to a new town and although working as an artist at home I just took a bs job a couple weeks ago to supplement my income. I came down last week with a sore throat and cough. It's not consistent and I don't "feel bad" otherwise...like a cold. Just the sore throat with a burn and some stuffiness. I've upped my vitamin c and d, upped my MCT oil and more bone broth. I came into work and noticed all underneath the wallpaper in this place is black mold. Horrified!! Does anyone know how quick this affects of you and if I can cure myself with what I'm doing? Cost is very much and issue. From what I hear the owners of the business won't do anything about it.
  • You seem pretty resilient already. It's hard to pin down exactly if mold is what is causing a symptom because it's such a wide possible range of symptoms. I believe I had mold allergies already, which manifested as asthma symptoms. Then, over time, living in a moldy place with almost no air circulation, toxins built up and caused toxicity symptoms, causing my body to attack itself. I think this is partly why bone broth made me feel so amazing... all that extreme stress probably rapidly depleted electrolytes and minerals etc.

How rapid it affects you probably depends on many variables like what kind of mycotoxins are being released, previous exposures increasing your sensitivity, how many toxins you avoid already so that your system isn't overloaded as fast, how long you are exposed, if you have methylation issues, genetics, etc...

I think there are some people who have had lifelong health issues, who can never find an explanation, then find mold and blame it for their problems. I think some people hyperbolize. Some people are exposed to mold, clean it up, and they are fine. Some, like me, have some build up period then a violent meltdown. The worst case scenario are the people who have 10, 15, 30 or more on the above list of symptoms/health issues. I know a couple of families - husband, wife, a few kids and a pet or two - they are all sick with similar symptoms, some with tumors developing in similar parts of the body, some with the same autoimmune conditions developing. It's all very real and obvious - yet these people are stigmatized and cast aside by the medical community, left to fend for themselves... it can be very sad/brutal.

If they won't clean it up and you suddenly start having major issues, you could probably get litigious. Be aware that the medical community is not educated in mold issues in general and there are legal arguments by some, like on Quackwatch (paid for by pharmaceutical industry), who try to say there is no "valid scientific evidence" as if that is proof against. These are the same people who release studies to mass media from time to time trying to say that supplements have no effects. The same organizations and doctors who attack integrative/alternative medicine:

http://www.anh-usa.org/eliminate-integrative-docs/

Unfortunately, I had to stumble through all the information myself after wasting time and money on doctors.... barely made it out.... learned a lot, though...

It's all relative.

• Can someone please please PLEASE help me!  Labor Day weekend of 2013 my boyfriend and I moved into a place together. Prior to moving in neither one of us had any type of allergy or dermatology issues. Both of us were in good health. Two weeks after moving in we went on vacation. About two weeks of coming back from vacation I started breaking out in a terrible rash/hives. They itched something awful! It literally tore up my neck, chest, stomach, arms and legs. I have been in and out of the ER several times. Doctors completely baffled because the rash didn’t resemble anything such as mites, bed bugs, scabies, etc. And I was the only person getting it. In that time frame the rash never completely went away. It would settled down a bit, but never fully go away, then flare back up. Sometimes if I had a glass of wine it would start itching terribly about an hour afterwards. During that time I felt extremely tired, I got several nose bleeds and my vision started becoming an issue (itchy, watery and hard to see). I noticed my moods changing dramatically. And it seemed I just didn’t feel good in general. In Nov/Dec I noticed my boyfriend started feeling tired and not good most days. To the point where he’d just want to come home from work and go to bed. I made him go to the doctors and all of his blood work came back good. I had a bad rash/hive flare up about three weeks ago. Went to the ER and a specialist who didn't want to do any blood work or biopsy for another month. About three weeks ago my boyfriend started developing the same itchy rash. Not quite as bad as mine, however in all of the same areas and the initial pattern looks like my initial pattern. Mine got progressively worse over the past 6 months. He went to his primary care doctor and they tested him for all allergies and infections. His blood work came back negative for all allergies. And was clear from infections. So his doctor prescribed a fungal medicine for us to try. That has helped tremendously. But they are referring him to an allergist because they believe it could be mold! We bought two home tests from Home Depot. One for the basement and main floor. And one for the third floor where our bedroom is. The test for the basement and main floor had quite a bit of activity. The test upstairs had nothing for a week. We decided to stay away from the home over the weekend, leaving Friday morning. However, we left the test on the table (covered!) in the basement. When we stopped by the house yesterday to pick up a few things the test dish was covered with mold! I know some companies have said they are unreliable because mold is everywhere. However I’m concerned because nothing showed for a week upstairs. And both test for the basement/middle floor show tons of activity. We spoke with our landlord and she informed us when the prior tenants lived there, there was a pipe bust from the dishwasher and they didn’t hire anyone to take care of it because the last tenant worked in construction. I’m worried that maybe it wasn’t cleaned properly? However, we can find no signs of mold anywhere in the home. And it is a townhouse and not that old? Maybe 7-10 years old. What could possibly be going on? I am afraid we are running out of options and I’m afraid to put my 4 year old daughter in a home that is making us sick! Considering we had NO problems prior to moving in!!!

• I can't really figure out all of the technical jargon on sites for european vs us and mycotoxin allowance.  I'm trying to figure out what the guidelines are for both EU and US in terms of allowance of mycotoxin for human ingestion (if that even exists).  All I am finding is that there a multiple toxins that fall under mycotoxins and what's allowed in food sources.

Do any of you have an idea?