In Depth Guide To Natural Detox

I wanted to share this comprehensive guide on detoxing, foods, and toxins. I hope some of you will find it helpful! It's a bit long, but very detailed.

After living for thousands and thousands of years in chemical balance, mankind, in the last 100 years, has literally changed the chemistry of our environment through the progressive poisoning of nature with the chemical by-products of modern agriculture, industry, power generation and transportation. Human body is exposed to a wide variety of toxins daily. There are two kinds of toxins: endo- and exotoxins.

Exotoxins/Xenobiotics are substances foreign to the body:

Organic chemicals: pesticides, solvents, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons/benzopyrene (combustion compound and cigarette smoke), dark beer, cooked foods, heterocyclic amines(meat fried or cooked at high temperatures), dioxin (byproduct of paper bleaching), benzene (30,000 tones released into the environment every year), rancid fats (lipid peroxides).

Inorganic chemicals: beryllium, asbestos (magnesium silicate), cadmium, lead, mercury. It has been estimated that as much as 25% of the US population suffers to some extent from heavy metal poisoning.

Medications and “lifestyle” chemicals: alcohol (a carcinogen), drugs (recreational and prescriptive) such as acetaminophen.

Microbial toxins: mycotoxins (aflatoxin), tetrodotoxin (puffer fish and newts)

Biologically active chemicals in foods such as antibiotics that make cows fatter, salicylate (can cause hives, wheezing, anaphylaxis), tyramine and other amine containing foods can trigger migraines, etc.

Over 10,000 xenobiotics are used in foods legally. They act as immunotoxicants, carcinogens and endocrine disruptors. Many of these compounds must be metabolized with help of specific enzymes produced by liver to facilitate their clearance.

Approximately 911 million pounds of pesticides are applied to U.S. crops every year. Less than 0.1% of these actually reaches the target pest. The remaining 99.9% circulate in the environment. Greater than 50% of cattle has detectible levels of pesticides in their bloodstream.

Produce that has highest content of pesticides: strawberries, coffee, bell peppers, spinach, cherries, peaches, cantaloupe, celery, apples, apricots, green beans, grapes, peanuts (aflatoxins), cucumbers.

In United States we allow over 10,000 food and chemical additives into our food supply. The average American eats about 14 pounds of additives a year. In addition to colorings, preservatives, flavorings, emulsifiers, humectants and antimicrobial agents, we consume on average 120 pounds of sugar and eight pounds of salt a year.

Endotoxins come from internal pollution:

Metabolic by-products primarily from GI tract: ammonia, nitrites, secondary bile acids (come from fermentation), lipopolysaccharides that cause toxic shock. They are result of poor diet (low fiber, saturated fat and sugar),deficient HCL and enzymes and increased mucosal permeability.

Oxidative stress – “the soup base” in which chronic inflammation is likely to occur. Oxidative stress is the source of toxicity and inevitable byproduct of:

Overgrowth of pathological microorganisms in the GI tract is the cause of dysbiosis. Humans have 3-5 pounds of bacteria in the gut. There is an opinion that amount of bacteria in the human body outnumbers amount of human cells in the body. These bacteria release metabolic by-products; some of which have healthful effects for humans, while others can be toxic. Unfriendly bacteria produces about 1/2 ounce of alcohol in our intestines every day. Just like a garden that needs constant weeding and pruning, our intestines also need regular maintenance otherwise the resulting imbalance of these microorganisms can have a major impact on one’s overall health. When there is an excess of unhealthy bacteria, the metabolic toxins they produce – in addition to xenobiotics, tend to subtly poison the rest of the body.

Respiration (via mitochondria)

Detoxification of liver and gut

When antioxidant stores are inadequate to neutralize the free radical load, the result is direct tissue damage, especially to circulating fatty acids and fatty acids containing membranes of cells and nuclei. This is what starts the chain of chronic, low grade inflammation that speeds up aging process, and leads to atherosclerosis.

Health consequences of chronic toxic exposure is a problem of increasing significance, still not fully recognized by the medical profession. Toxic load has been linked to numerous chronic diseases such as:

Chronic fatigue. A typical symptom of patients with chronic fatigue is the vague sensation of being “toxic” along with a “foggy head”, most certainly a result of accumulated toxicity.

Fibromyalgia

IBS

Chronic allergies

Multiple chemical sensitivity

Trouble loosing weight because of toxicity.

Autoimmune disease

Infertility and birth defects

Cancer

Autism (toxins are mostly generated in the gut)

Chronic neurological diseases (Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s)

In fact almost any chronic diseases most likely has toxic component. Impaired detoxification has been shown to play a major role in the onset of pathology.

Toxins are body’s biggest consumer of energy. Detoxification takes a load off the system. A nourishing diet and nutritional supplements assist detoxification. Depending on the severity of the toxic load and the overall health of an individual, improving the vitality of the tissues can take from several months to several years. Detox is a huge effort for people with systemic and chronic disease.

Strategies for detoxification:

Stop putting toxic things in. Active cell garbage removal is the key to detox. Remove offending cause via elimination diets, chelation (oral and intravenous) and elemental diets (liquid nutrient fasts). Elemental diets provide needed nutrients in predigested form.

Remove compounds in GI tract that weaken health. First clear up the gut. If there is malabsorption supplement pancreatic enzyme and hydrochloric acid. If there is hyper-absorption (leaky gut syndrome) supplement L-glutamine. Aloe vera juice.

Exercise, saunas and sweating therapies are traditional ways to facilitate waste elimination through the skin and circulatory system.

Bowel cleanses and liver “flushes”. Nutrients and herbs which help the liver, lymphatic, hormonal and metabolic systems clear toxins from the body are valuable additions.

Cruciferous vegetables enhance detoxification and decrease risk of colorectal cancer as well as Turmeric (curcuminoids), glutathione powder (LR toxins decrease glutathione levels) and chlorophyll rich green drinks.

Reintroduce friendly bacteria to the gut via probiotics and prebiotic (fructo-oligosaccharides/FOS and inulin/fertilizer for probiotics).

Restore and repair gut mucosa integrity with glutamine (cabbage juice), gamma oryzanol (rice bran) and gamma linolenic acid (borage and evening primrose). Aloe vera.

Reduce oxidative stress with antioxidant supplementation that include carotene and bioflavonoids (quercitin)

We are always detoxifying so we should not look to accomplish it all at once.

Detoxification irritates nerve cells which may result in irritability or low mood. Removing toxins too quickly can cause aggressive behavior, irritability, and depression. Removing them gradually will not cause much discomfort. Milk Thistle protects liver cells from toxins.

Lower protein diets impair detoxification due to limited availability of glutathione (detoxification gold). People on protein deficient diets have trouble detoxifying environmental pollutants.

Supplements to facilitate detoxification:

Water for diluting and eliminating toxins: 2 1/2 - 3 quarts

Acidophilus/Bifidobacteria for a healthy flora to neutralize toxins and lessen colon toxicity: 1-3 teaspoons of each initially, then teaspoon day

Vitamin C to neutralize free radicals: 1-5 grams

Magnesium for generating energy and driving detoxification machinery of enzymes: 400-800 mg

Zinc for the formation of antioxidant enzyme: 25-50 mg

Vitamin E: 400-800 IUs

Fiber (Fresh Flax-meal or Pectin): 10-30 g

Selenium: 200-400 mcg

Coper: 2-6 mg

Manganese: 2-5 mg

Phosphatidyl Choline to improve bile flow and protect the liver: 1000-3000 mg (2-6 Tsp)

Lipoic Acid: 100-600 mg

N-Acetyl-Cysteine: 1000g

B Complex: 50 mg

Taurine: 1-3 grams

For Lead Removal:

Allithiamine (fat soluble B1): 50-100 mg

During detoxification avoid:

Orange, grape and honeydew.

Tropical fruits should be used in moderation.

Nightshades: potato, tomato, eggplant, pepper, and mushroom

Wheat, corn, soy, yeast and all products containing it. Cut down carbs gradually.

Peanuts, cashews, and pistachios

Sugar, salt, vinegar, caffeine, soft drinks, alcohol, and tobacco

Colloidal Silver supplements

Mercury in teeth fillings and seafood

Tylenol (acetaminophen)

Foods grown with pesticides or herbicides

Foods with additives or coloring agents

Processed meats, soups and other processed foods

Grapefruit inhibits detoxication because it increases absorption.

For 2-3 weeks detox use local, fresh, and organic food whenever possible. Fruits are sugary and should be eaten in the morning as separate meal or between meals.

Diet consists of whole vegetables, fruits and juices diluted one-half with spring water.

Leafy greens and sprouts can be eaten raw, juiced or stir-fried

Brown rice, oat, and millet

Soaked and sprouted legumes, nuts, and seeds

Olive oil and flax seed oil

Drink at least 8 cups of fluids a day in a form of spring water, fresh-squeezed lemon water, diluted fruit juices, herbal teas (dandelion root, andrographis, nettle, red clover, fennel, ginger, turmeric), chlorophyll juice or herbal purging formulas.

Make fresh daily and drink minimum 12 oz a day of trace minerals/electrolite broth. Steam 10-15 min 2 zucchinis, 2-3 stalks of celery with leaves, a handful of green beans or 2 cups of dark leafy greens, 1-2 cloves of garlic and 1-2 tsp of chopped onion. Blend the vegetables, steaming water, and handful of chopped parsley or watercress for 1-2 min. Dilute if needed and drink warm.

Breakfast: fresh fruit, raw nuts, pumpkin and sesame seeds, fresh raw vegetable juice or cooked broth. Protein shake if low blood sugar.

Lunch and dinner: salad of red (beet carrot) and green leafy(kale, watercress, parsley, nettle greens, mustard greens, arugula) vegetable. use olive oil and lemon juice with garlic or other spices for dressing. Stir-fried or steamed vegetables (cabbage, okra, brussels sprouts, kale, spinach, chards, mustard greens, collard greens, watercress and arugula) or vegetable soup, a baked yam or a cup of cooked grains (brown rice or legumes).
Zb Acupuncture Studio
Psychospiritual Acupuncture

Comments

• I like the guide - thanks for putting that together.  If I had a critique it's that the food recommendations seem to be geared more to vegans than people in the BP lifestyle.  Nonetheless, I found it to be very helpful.

Since you are an acupuncturist - I'd love to hear your thoughts on acupuncture's role in detox, or chinese medicine more broadlly.

• I started taking chlorella and a kale shake every morning a few days ago (chlorella after I wake up with fish oil and few hours later my kale shake with protein powder and coconut oil), and I feel pretty bad the last few days, also diarrhea. I do have CFS, so it might be more extreme I guess?. I also still take carbs 3/4 times a week after training. How long can those symptoms last? Also I woke up two days in a row at 5:30 after which I tried to sleep a bit again. (wake up at 7:30 always). Is this normal too? 

*Also I still eat grass fed meat, grass fed fat for lunch and dinner together with vegetables. 

• Now it is 4 days in a row that I wake up at like 5:00 and got calve cramps last night too. Started taking activated charcoal yest to help with the detox, see how that goes. I feel i might be magnesium/potassium/calcium deficient because of the weird feeling in my legs that i already have for a long long time and now the added cramps. Anyone any ideas if its normal what I experience?
  • Oh yeah when I wake up so early those four days in a row now I am sweating often too. Really weird.
  • One vitamin B6 tablet completely got rid of my leg cramps. 

• A normal one or the active form? And how much did you take? It seems weird since I did eat a lot of chicken and eggs in the past (thought it was healthy) and it has a lot of b6 afaik and back then problems developed.
  • Just a normal 100 mg one is all it took. 

• This is definitely why I drink green juice daily.

I just buy a ton of high and low yield green veggies and use different ones on different days at random. The nutrients on a random basis is also probably very helpful in itself.

• I like the guide - thanks for putting that together.  If I had a critique it's that the food recommendations seem to be geared more to vegans than people in the BP lifestyle.  Nonetheless, I found it to be very helpful.

Since you are an acupuncturist - I'd love to hear your thoughts on acupuncture's role in detox, or chinese medicine more broadlly.

The best way to detox with Chinese med is with cupping, gua sha and herbal formulas. Herbal formulas are tailored to specific patterns of "toxicity" and can clear heat, promote urination, increase circ, ect. 

-also an acupuncturist