Clean Diet For Months, No Results.

Start weight and body fat: 240, 29%. Current weight and body fat: 240.8, 29%.

I have been 99% on the green zone of bulletproof for months, I have not lost an ounce and have not lost body fat. I don't understand how on earth I haven't lost any weight, not only have I been eating bulletproof I've also been keeping track of how much I eat- not too much, not too little. I should be seeing SOME kind of loss shouldn't I?

I have been low carb for over a year now, bulletproof for about 2-3 months, I have been semi-plateaued for over a year, being able to fluctuate from 235-245. I thought this diet may help me get past the plateau, but it has done quite the opposite, it seems to have stabilized my weight and is not allowing me to lose any weight no matter what I eat or how much I eat.

I'm going to try the rapid fat loss protocol starting on the 30th for a month, hopefully that will work. From my own experience, bulletproof seems more like a maintenance diet, does not seem to help with weight loss- at least not for me.

Comments

• You may want to try some longer fasting indeed. Start with 24 hours, then next week 36 hours, and if it goes well you could do the RFLP.

For me fasting is a good way to break through a plateau.

Are you doing any exercise?
  • I'd recommend HIIT (such as sprints) once a week, the day after your re-feed day. You are *doing* the re-feed day, right? Also, check your postprandial glucose. You may be low carb, but if your glucose is still spiking significantly you won't drop the weight anyway.
  • edited July 2012
    Lisa, I'm getting so many different suggestions from so many different people that I'm not sure what I should and shouldn't be doing anymore.

I tried a refeed, seemed to work correctly as I gained 5-6 pounds and it came off mostly within a week.. But then someone told me refeeds are for people with low body fat content and are not good for someone my weight.

As per the bulletproof diet, the only time the diet seems to mention the refeed is on the rapid fat loss protocol (which I am preparing to do for a month.) I will be following the protocol strictly including the refeed day every 5-6 days.

I will also try the sprinting ( I have been meaning to do so, hard to find the time. )

Flying, I have already tried fasting for up to 36 hours with no negative outcome. A few years ago I did a three day fast as well and again I felt great, so I'm not so concerned with negative outcomes as my body seems to tolerate fasting very well. On top of that, I will still have calories from fat and nutrients from supplements, so my body will not even be as taxed as my 3 day fast (I am assuming.) Glad to hear that fasting helps with your plateaus, very encouraging to hear.

• Lisa, I'm getting so many different suggestions from so many different people that I'm not sure what I should and shouldn't be doing anymore.

I tried a refeed, seemed to work correctly as I gained 5-6 pounds and it came off mostly within a week.. But then someone told me refeeds are for people with low body fat content and are not good for someone my weight.

As per the bulletproof diet, the only time the diet seems to mention the refeed is on the rapid fat loss protocol (which I am preparing to do for a month.) I will be following the protocol strictly including the refeed day every 5-6 days.

I will also try the sprinting ( I have been meaning to do so, hard to find the time. )

Flying, I have already tried fasting for up to 36 hours with no negative outcome. A few years ago I did a three day fast as well and again I felt great, so I'm not so concerned with negative outcomes as my body seems to tolerate fasting very well. On top of that, I will still have calories from fat and nutrients from supplements, so my body will not even be as taxed as my 3 day fast (I am assuming.) Glad to hear that fasting helps with your plateaus, very encouraging to hear.

What type of work do you do? If you are sitting all day long, this could be a problem.

Have you had your vitamin/mineral levels check, as well as hormones? Maybe your issues are with a deficiency.

What is your gut health like? Poor digestion or out of control bacteria or fungus can potentially cause weight issues.
  • I own a jewelry store, normally the most activity I get is walking/short runs but I'm going to add weekly sprints. I had blood tests recently and do not have any deficiencies nor do I have any issues with stomach health to the best of my knowledge.
  • I can't remember if you've said previously on other posts, but are you doing any weight workouts? If not, twice a week is all you need. I used to scoff at the old-fashioned workouts, but now I'm getting more results from these - than from hitting the gym and doing tons of stuff on elaborate equipment, 3 times a week. They say that Hershell Walker only did pushups and never went to the gym. I never believed that until I started doing the old school routine on a regular basis. 3 sets of old-style pushups (the $30 perfect pushup thingy is a great purchase - no carpal tunnel from traditional pushup wrist strain), 3 sets of palms forward pullups or palms facing you for more bicep work(same thing - only $30 for the thing that hangs in a doorway), 3 sets of planks and 3 sets of squats. do all of these as intense as possible - as many as you can do. this plus the once-per-week sprints mentioned earlier might spark your metabolism a bit.
  • one other side tip that might help shake things up. try doing workouts on an empty stomach - and (against conventional wisdom) don't eat for an hour after the workout. supposedly, once you do ... you stop the fat burning process in it's tracks. I haven't done this often enough, but I've heard it from a number of sources that it is a powerful fat burning "trick".
  • Personally, I do not feel like Id be seeing any weight loss results from the BP diet save for water weight if I wasnt doing T-Tapp in conjuction with it. I do almost no other workouts and usually skip breakfast and drink BP coffee and tea and eat on the green side of the chart with the occassional day of white rice and sweet potatoes.

• I own a jewelry store, normally the most activity I get is walking/short runs but I'm going to add weekly sprints. I had blood tests recently and do not have any deficiencies nor do I have any issues with stomach health to the best of my knowledge.

What did you test for? Just the basics? Maybe you need to dig deeper.

How many calories are you getting per day?
  • I checked for the following:Panel (CMP), Complete Blood Count with Differential (CBC),Lipid Profile and Urinalysis. My only issue was with triglycerides (240something) and low HDL (42? or 44.)

I am devising a plan...

A plan to get through this damn plateau...

First, I will do the bulletproof rapid fat losss protocol to lose a minimum of 15 pounds (I will be on the protocol for 30 days, I expect at least 1/2lb of fat/body water/etc per day to come off.)

I will be refeeding every sunday and sprinting every monday (as well as a short hike with the sprints, my sweetheart will be joining me!)

On my refeed days I will eat white rice, sweet potatoes, possibly some fruit, I am starting to understand that high glycemic index foods are actually beneficial for refeeds as they are processed by your body faster than low gi carbs (bananas vs sweet potatoes for example), thus the negatives of the carb intake is gone sooner (correct me if I am wrong please!)

After the thirty days is completed, I will switch to BP intermitten fasting- at this point I am unsure if I need to do a carb refeed as I will likely be low carb (please advise, are refeeds necessary on low carb with body fat over 15%?)

I will also be adding weight training, as recommended by Dave. Likely once or twice a week (I will listen to my body, when I feel 100% recovered I will train again, usually 3-5 days.)

I will continue the HIIT with my hikes, weekly - possibly increasing to twice a week for the sprints.

Now, I have fresh information in my head- eating a lot of carbs after a muscular workout is very beneficial and not detrimental - source comes from John Kiefer. If this is correct, I will be eating more carbs after my workouts, avoiding carbs earlier in the day as I normally do. The same source stated the high glycemic index carbs should be consumed after a work out as they will be burned before you begin sleeping usually.

I am supplementing the following:

Krill oil

Kelp Powder

100% cocoa

Selenium

D3

K2

B12

Folate

Vit C

Magnesium

Any suggestions to benefit my plan beyond its' current potential?

and in regards to calories, I am probably eating around 2500-3k/cal/day

Also an update, made a point to drink more water as I haven't been drinking enough, gained 3 pounds. Water weight is fun!
  • I'd be interested in seeing what your levels of leptin, insulin, and ferritin are.
  • oy gevald, more blood tests? I'm starting the bp rapid fat loss protocol tomorrow morning, we'll see what happens after a month of that.

my MCT oil hasn't arrived and I'm curious if coconut oil will be sufficient for the first couple days.
  • I'm no expert in the BP diet, so I may be talking rubbish here. But isn't 3k calories a little bit much? Specially for a lady trying to lose weight?

Like I said, I'm a beginner here and still haven't shed all my prejudice against high calorie diets.

But if it's not working for you, maybe you shoud lower the calorie intake (by a thousand, at least) and see what happens in a week or so. I'm a 5"10 guy and 185 lb and I can go by with 2000 easliy.

• bigduckkbigduckk MyFitnessPal- craigmac1991

Totally agree lower calories and weight will go down. I need to track my calories even when eating bulletproof because I will massively overeat on any diet (maybe no one hugged me enough as a child). It's a testament to the bulletproof diet that you can eat 3000 calories a day and not gain weight.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

My weight goes up even on a full bulletproof diet if I eat too many calories. I need to be around 2500-3000kcal and training hard to maintain my weight, if my training slows up or I eat too much I'll start putting on weight easily. I still track my food in myfitnesspal everyday and weigh myself each morning.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• I like you imperator am 5'10", what bf% would you say you are at being 185? 

I have usually around 2500-2700 calories on a workout day, if I have more than that I will for sure gain weight and if I have that much on rest days I will gain weight as well.

• My weight went up when I switched from 4HB to BP diet too.  But it's all good. I never count calories but for once I did the math.  On the average weight training day I eat 271 g of fat, eat altogether 3218 calories and consume 81 carbs(less than that if you minus carbs derived from fiber).  So I consume 76% of my calories from fat.  What has this yielded?  This morning <8% body fat(BF%).  Now, I am a desk jockey so if I was moving around during the day I would likely get away with even more calories.  

I have put zero effort to counting calories until now and only did it this once as I am concerned I was not eating enough fat.  I could easily up the dosage, I might enjoy eating more.

I think that if you are not getting the BF% you want, you need to look at the carbs consumed carefully(as has been said here and there).  Either that or maybe you are just meant to be heavier than you want to be and it's gonna be a constant battle staying under it.  Which I assume is the case with you katolotus as you need to make weight I would presume.

• Amen, damn desk. I also don't count calories, I just happened to do so because a female friend who just started the diet asked. I just look at macros, but it always seems I have higher protein than everyone here. I follow 1 g per lean lb of mass., which is tons less than I used to eat