Best Mattress Cover?

I've heard that there may be health advantages to using a mattress cover that fully seals your mattress (i.e., not just a topper).

If you have experience with this, or have heard this issue addressed by Dave or elsewhere, please take a minute to share your thoughts on which type, brand, etc. might be optimal.

Thank you for sharing!

Comments

• edited June 2016

Ancient thread now, but also interested in this - looking at a few options online.  Full encasement covers - some have polyester which could release formaldehyde?

Others are "terry cotton facing" for the sleeper.  Not sure it makes a difference, but perhaps polyester has some negatives.  

$20-50 is well worth it to easily upgrade an old mattress or protect/preserve a new one.    

Was never sure how to actually clean a mattress w/o getting it wet.  Vacuuming only goes so far.  Having a removable layer to wash that gets the dust and other uncool things floating around instead of the mattress is the biggest sell unless I'm missing something about mattress cleaning.  

• In terms of cleaning the mattress, you can put it in direct sunlight if possible as much as possible.
    I think it has to do with the UV rays but don't really know the science behind it.
    It's supposed to help against dust and mold.
    You can dry brushin with a strong brush too, better in free air, but maybe vacuum cleaning more effective.

In terms of the cover I am intersted as well.
    Probably a cover which goes over the edges and is water repellent but breathable would be good to keep your mattress dry and airy and prevent mold.

In terms of the cover containing plastic and leaking toxins would probably a normal cotton sheet on top help but I am not sure if any of the plastic couldn't make it through the sheet somehow.

Those are just some of the thoughts.

If you found something really cool let us know.

Greetings!

• The St Dormier is one I used and it's both thin (for a wool protector) and stretchy and would have less effect on a memory foam mattress than others that were thicker and less stretchy but by the very nature of having a thin wool layer it would affect the memory foam a little more than the other two types (the thinner membrane type and the stretch cotton type).

• I Suggest you top 5 mattress cover for your regular use

1.Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper.
    2.Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Topper.
    3.Grand Down All Season Down Alternative Topper.
    4.Sleep Joy 2″ ViscO2 Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper.
    5.Slumber Cloud Nacreous Mattress Pad.

• https://www.lifekind.com/certified-organic-dust-mite-bed-bug-barrier-mattress-cover
    We invested in a Lifekind rubber mattress and are super happy. We visited the factory in Grass Valley and were impressed at the cleanliness. You could eat off the floors.