Ketogenic/if Diet For Crossfit/olympic Lifting?
I'm a CrossFitter + Olympic Lifter. I want to get super freaking strong and also super freaking fit. It seems like most of the postcasts and discussion is around using the bulletproof diet for fat loss, healthy living, and greater energy. I'm not really interested in fat loss, since I already only have around 6-8% body fat (at 5'11", 180lbs). And of course, I want to live my life with crap-tons of energy and enthusiasm. But my main goal is to prepare for the CrossFit games in March (and therefore increase strength, and dominate metcon workouts). My questions relate to whether the ketogenic and/or IF diet is right for me, and when do optimally position my workouts. Here is a quick rundown of what I'm doing.
- I work out 5 days a week (3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off).
- 3 of these days, I do 2-a-day workouts, with strength/accessory work in the morning (ex: Wed: 5x5 Back Squat; Thurs: 10 minutes of 5 weighted pullups and 5 weighted dips; Sat: 4x4 snatch pulls, 4x4 push press), and CrossFit metcon + Snatch/C&J work in the evening.
- 1 day, I do exclusively Olympic lifting (ex: work to 1RM for Snatch and C&J, 3RM Front Squat, 4x4 Clean pulls)
- 1 day, I do static contraction training for strength
Example of diet during a day with 2 workouts:
- 5:30: coffee + butter (getting BPC tomorrow!), BCAA
- 6:00: strength workout (5x5 Back Squat)
- 7:00-12:00: fluids, wheat grass extract
- 12:00: 1 oz almonds, 1/2 avocado, 15g protein (Phormula-1)
- 2:30: 4 eggs, coconut oil, 2 cups veggies, 2 slices bacon, coffee + butter
- 4:30: BCAA
- 5:00: CrossFit (ex: 5 rounds for time: 20 wall balls, 20 chest-to-bars), Oly Lifting (7 rounds, every 2 minutes, 3 snatches at 85% 1RM)
- 6:30: 30g protein (Phormula-1), 1 egg, 1 cup almond milk, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 2 fish oil pills
- 8:30: 3.5 oz grass-fed beef or wild salmon, 1 tbsp butter/coconut oil, 2 cups veggies, 1 oz almonds
- Based on my performance goals, is a ketogenic diet right for me? Should I add more carbs in the evening like sweet potatoes to make up for my training volume to build muscle/strength?
- Is some form of intermittent fast right for me? Since I workout in the AM, should I be fasting after to increase growth hormone spike, or eating protein and fat (and even carbs) afterward to refuel?
- Assuming an intermittent fast is beneficial, should I do CrossFit in the morning or the evening?
Any and all help would be super appreciated! 10 bonus points for links to data references!
"Let him that would move the world first move himself." ~ Socrates