Help Me Leave Carbs/bready Things

So, I've been doing the bulletproof diet...mostly.  I'm having such a hard time ending my relationship with bread/bready foods.  I have had acid reflux most of my life, so reaching for some crackers or a cup of milk has been habit since I was 6 or 7.  I was wondering if anyone had some strategies/tips and tricks for success.  I've made the coconut bread once (more like biscotti) but am open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

sk8

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I'm prone to relapse occasionally, so perhaps my advice on the matter is meaningless, however here's my two cents anyhow:

If you've got issues with heartburn, then you simply need to remind yourself that wheat is a no-no. It'll incite a lot of GI problems in people, not the least of which is nasty, nasty reflux. Remember the pain of your worst episodes whenever you want to reach for something wheaty and remember that the only way you'll effectively heal your reflux is to give it up.

As far as actually giving up the stuff goes, well, you'll get a lot of different answers from folks around these parts. Some people try and quit cold turkey. Others taper off a bit. Me? I can't taper off. Giving in to wheat cravings the slightest bit will see me transform into a wheat-packing glutton. And of course, I always feel like shit the next day. Like booze or heroin, treat wheat like a dangerous drug. Avoid it at all costs and fill up on BP foods so that you don't have to think about it. Heck, at least drug addicts don't see advertisements for black tar heroin on every street corner and television screen, haha.

Also, you don't necessarily have to avoid starchy foods in general. Do you like sweet potatoes? Starchy veggies in general? Those can have a place in a healthy diet. The amount depends on your activity level and personal needs, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of white rice or a potato now and then. It's a heck of a lot better than caving to wheat.

Stay strong and stay bulletproof! The cravings do fade in time. Tonight some of my co-workers went and ordered a ton of fast food. Ordinarily, I'd be salivating over it, however since I've been eating BP for a while now, I found it didn't really appeal to me. Baby steps!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Thanks for the support!  I realize, going out, there are a lot of things that just don't appeal to me which makes me feel good.  It is the late night carb demon that I fight.  I think the bread/crackers thing is a texture issue as well.  I am going to try some different recipes to get around these barriers, hoping that it will manage some of the cravings.  I've made the coconut bread, and that was really good!  

I will continue to stay bulletproof because I believe in it, and it really just makes sense.  And I loooove that grass-fed beef.  Can't get enough of it!

• Eat lots of healthy fats so you don't even feel like eating that crap.  I eat salads with avocados, and other kick ass vegetables with beef fat drizzled on it and I hardly feel like it's a hardship not eating breads.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Thanks for the support!  I realize, going out, there are a lot of things that just don't appeal to me which makes me feel good.  It is the late night carb demon that I fight.  I think the bread/crackers thing is a texture issue as well.  I am going to try some different recipes to get around these barriers, hoping that it will manage some of the cravings.  I've made the coconut bread, and that was really good!  

I will continue to stay bulletproof because I believe in it, and it really just makes sense.  And I loooove that grass-fed beef.  Can't get enough of it!

Ah, yeah. I'm familiar with late-night carb cravings. It may not always be feasible, but if you're able, try and go to bed when those cravings strike. Take a swig of MCT oil or something and head to bed if you can. Doing this consistently for a few days will begin to shut down those cravings. Also, save your carbs for your last meal. Might help cut down on the cravings as well!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• So, I've been doing the bulletproof diet...mostly.  I'm having such a hard time ending my relationship with bread/bready foods.  I have had acid reflux most of my life, so reaching for some crackers or a cup of milk has been habit since I was 6 or 7.  I was wondering if anyone had some strategies/tips and tricks for success.  I've made the coconut bread once (more like biscotti) but am open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

sk8

sk8_k8: I, too, am a serious carb addict that's made it through to the other side. A bulletproof hack that really helps is L-Glutamine. It's great to take post-workout, etc, but it also helps curb alcohol and carb cravings. Try 20g around the time you're going to hit the afternoon crash and head for the cookies, pizza, crap in general.

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• I would just stop trying to make substitutions for bread because nothing really copies it well anyway.  Drink smaller amounts of water in one sitting, because drinking a whole 8 oz glass of water is a recipe for heartburn in many people.  As you become more bulletproof, you will find these annoying symptoms will just disappear.  Have a nibble of some really good dark chocolate when you are craving carby foods.  I have found from my experience with BP eating, my obsessions and addictions for various types of food have completely disappeared.  I eat to live now rather than living to eat.  If you are close to your weight goal, just enjoys some homemade meatball/vegetable soup with lots of "rice stick"  noodles added.  Make sure you're getting enough quality sea salt as well.  Cravings are usually related to some kind of deficiency.

• Thanks everyone!  I feel better prepared with your feedback and tips.  I'll be sure to post as I go!

• You could also have some extra dark chocolate -- approximately 90% chocolate (low sugar).  Yum!  You don't need much and it's a big cravings-buster.

Mary

• So, I've been doing the bulletproof diet...mostly.  I'm having such a hard time ending my relationship with bread/bready foods.  I have had acid reflux most of my life, so reaching for some crackers or a cup of milk has been habit since I was 6 or 7.  I was wondering if anyone had some strategies/tips and tricks for success.  I've made the coconut bread once (more like biscotti) but am open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

sk8

Hey Sk8

Maybe you can try some gluten free bread?  My kids are eating Udi's:

http://udisglutenfree.com

It's made from rice, is a bit pricey but is the only GF bread I can tolerate in terms of taste.  Is it 100% bulletproof?  Probably not but it's a LOT better than regular breads and carbs.  I don't have cravings like I used to with Udi's.

Also if you have acid reflux than you might want to supplement with some apple cider vinegar (http://www.bragg.com - my favorite brand).   I measure 1 tbsp in a glass of water (about 8oz) when I first started.  Try some of the advice here - I have had very good luck using mastic gum, dgl and ACV from time to time:

http://betterhealthx.com/my-struggle-with-acid-reflux-and-low-stomach-acid

http://betterhealthx.com/mastic-gum-and-dgl-an-alternative-to-acv-and-betaine-hcl

Good luck!  I still break down and cheat :-)!