Sunflower Lecithin

edited November 2013 in Bulletproof Coffee

So lately I've been doing just ghee, MCT, and hot water - occasionally adding some collagen in there.  I know... gross haha.  I'll get back on the coffee one day but I'm avoiding caffeine for now.

So basically I've been drinking hot water with a layer of ghee and mct on top... BUT, I just added some sunflower lecithin for the first time.  And its nice and creamy and delicious!

Something to consider.

Lecithin is an emulsifier for those who might not know.

Comments

• Good to know I can use Soy Lecithin to bind shit together. Are you going to buy that?

---

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Egg yolks also do the same thing if you prefer those.

• Egg yolks also do the same thing if you prefer those.

Yeah egg yolks would be better but I'm taking a break from eating them right now due to a sensitivity.

• Good to know I can use Soy Lecithin to bind shit together. Are you going to buy that?

If you're asking if I'm going to buy soy lecithin, I am allergic to soy, so no.

• I've been wondering about adding sunflower lecithin to my coffee so I don't have to shake it up constantly. My only concern about adding it to hot coffee was that most of the fats listed on the nutrition label are polyunsaturated.

Looked it up in the Better Baby Book, and sure enough he says not to heat it because the fats oxidize quickly. Good source of choline if you want to emulsify cold, egg-free salad dressings though.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer

• I've been wondering about adding sunflower lecithin to my coffee so I don't have to shake it up constantly. My only concern about adding it to hot coffee was that most of the fats listed on the nutrition label are polyunsaturated.

Looked it up in the Better Baby Book, and sure enough he says not to heat it because the fats oxidize quickly. Good source of choline if you want to emulsify cold, egg-free salad dressings though.

==========================

Does he mean to use it at cooking temperatures, or heating in general, though? I'd be interested to know the oxidation temperatures. We aren't supposed to cook with butter, but putting it in coffee is fine, as the temperature is much lower than a grill-top.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• Good question, I'd be interested to know too. PUFAs are notoriously unstable not just in heat but also light, air, moisture, etc, so I doubt they oxidize at one set temperature specifically.

Butter is also not really a viable comparison as it's primarily saturated, where lecithin only has about 1 gram of saturated fat to every 7 or so grams of PUFAs.

Obviously adding it to your coffee in the morning is better for you than hitting up McDonald's for an egg mcmuffin, but is it the most bulletproof thing you can do? I would probably guess it's more towards yellow on the scale.

==========================

Does he mean to use it at cooking temperatures, or heating in general, though? I'd be interested to know the oxidation temperatures. We aren't supposed to cook with butter, but putting it in coffee is fine, as the temperature is much lower than a grill-top.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer

• Thanks for this!  For no good reason I just assumed the lecithin was heat stable. 

I've been wondering about adding sunflower lecithin to my coffee so I don't have to shake it up constantly. My only concern about adding it to hot coffee was that most of the fats listed on the nutrition label are polyunsaturated.

Thanks for this! For no good reason I just assumed the lecithin was heat stable.  Although I'm only using a minimal amount, it is probably not ideal.