Filter

romansbromansb BulletResistant

I was surprised to see this wasn't already discussed. Aware that the gold standard is a french press, but the one I have is for single cups. When I'm making a large batch for my thermos I used a percolator, without a filter because I've heard Dave talking about how filters can absorb some of the beneficial oils in the coffee.

What's every ones thoughts on this? Is it a big enough of a difference that I should bite the bullet (ha) and purchase a larger french press?

Where I post my research:
buildingabetterhuman.com

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci

Comments

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited November 2013

there's been a few threads discussing filters. You're not looking hard enough.

French press is one of the worst! I use a Gold filter during the week and a single cup paper filter at weekends to get the benefits of both and the paper takes longer when I have more time at the weekends.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/3747-dont-use-a-paper-filter/?hl=%2Bpaper+%2Bfilter

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• edited November 2013

French press is one of my favorite brand. The sweetner in the french press feels great to our lips. Stick with the french press. It makes a better cup of coffee for you since you already are use to it (sludge).

• romansbromansb BulletResistant

there's been a few threads discussing filters. You're not looking hard enough.

French press is one of the worst! I use a Gold filter during the week and a single cup paper filter at weekends to get the benefits of both and the paper takes longer when I have more time at the weekends.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/3747-dont-use-a-paper-filter/?hl=%2Bpaper+%2Bfilter

Ah alright. Need to get into the habit of using Google site:forum.bulletproofexec.com (or whatever site) found threads on it then.

Use a metal filter with the percolator. I'll move the rest of my thoughts to the thread you linked to no reason to fragment the discussion.

Where I post my research:
    buildingabetterhuman.com

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci

• French press is the best method for retaining the diturpene oils (cafestol & kahweol), which you would want to do for inflammation but the tradeoff being that the diturpene oils raise your LDL.  If you don't want the oils, use a Hario method with a paper filter.  Hario method with a gold filter is a compromise between the two spectrums.