Women And If

I am surprised to not see this topic covered in this section!

I am relatively new to BP and have been doing several days per week of IF. I have done juice fasts before and really don't have a problem with not eating all day. With my BP coffee in the morning I stay energized all day with no crashes, etc.

The only problem I've had is positional dizziness. When I am squatting down to do something and get up I get very lightheaded and have to grab something to steady myself. Also less frequently when I go from a stiing position to standing I get the same result. I am a nurse and I am pretty in tune with my body. Once I stand there for a moment it goes away and life goes on. I do not have a blood sugar monitor to see if this is the issue but I suspect not since it goes away as fast as it comes on. I have never had BP (blood pressure not bulletproof :) issues.

I wonder if anyone else has had this symptom doing IF?

I've heard women should not IF for hormonal reasons and found this article discussing it further:

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

Any thoughts/experiences?

And can anyone speak to why women should NOT do IF?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• This article is a little different because it's assuming you're fasting with no fats or calories whatsoever, where the idea BPIF is to keep your body in a fasting state (no insulin spikes) while still supplying energy from the fat in the coffee. Dave discusses the topic of women on IF here http://www.bulletproofexec.com/a-bad-combination-for-women-intermittent-fasting-and-paleo/

How much and what kind of water do you drink? I noticed when I switched to reverse-osmosis water from my co op I was getting dizzy when I stood up in the morning, so I tried the saltwater trick and it helped a lot. Then my naturo told me to add a little sea salt into every glass of water I drink (I can't taste it) to remineralize it, because RO systems take out EVERYTHING including trace minerals. It could also be that you are dehydrated.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. --Arthur Schopenhauer

• We are out in the country on well water and have installed a whole house water filter. Its no RO but has a carbon filter that filters out contaminants while retaining minerals using some type of coconut husk media.

http://www.pelicanwater.com/whole_house_water_filters.php

Its possible I may be a little dehydrated with the increase in use of our wood stove but my pee is always pretty light colored so I don't think that is it. I typically drink about 6 glasses/day plus ~2cups kombucha several times per week.

Thanks for the link! I forget to search the blogs for info.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Perhaps not consuming carbs (they retain water) lower your blood pressure. Do you have coffee? Do you consume salt?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• You may be right. I have been eating a small amount of carbs the last few days and gained 3 lbs and do not feel lightheaded as much (maybe just a handful of times). I eat a ton of salt and drink 1 cup of BP coffee daily. I noticed after over 5 days of very low carb (25g or less/day) my eyes tend to get dry as well. I may need to play around with carb re feed days and daily intake. Thanks for the advice.

Another thought is the amalgam fillings (I have 3) in my teeth are getting old and for the past 2 years I have been getting one done at a time since it's 100% out of pocket to go to the hollistic dentist that does safe removal. The mercury has so many non specific side effects I suppose my dizziness could be from that. I have the last one removed in December.  

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

It's great that you got rid of them. You can do a search here to find some excellent protocols for detoxing from the traces of those fillings.

• in the most recent podcast dave and JJ suggest that they do not like long term sustained IF for women. Should give that one a listen. 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I've been IFing almost every day for I guess at least three years. Since I found BP I do it with fats & coffee. Makes me feel great, focused, not hungry. Weird that usually they say that how you feel is a good indicator whether something is working you or not.

Though I started Jason Miller's athlete protocol two weeks ago and I since then I only IF a few days per week. Feeling great just the same.

• in the most recent podcast dave and JJ suggest that they do not like long term sustained IF for women. Should give that one a listen. 

I don't Intermittently fast.  I listened to the Podcast, and the recommendation by JJ, supported by Dave Asprey, was that women shouldn't engage in intermittent fasting with no food, but it might be okay with a fat-only meal, such as BP coffee (JJ Virgin doesn't to a BP intermittent fast).  JJ also suggested that if a woman wanted to skip a meal, dinner would be a much better choice than breakfast.  

I exercise in the early am.  While I don't eat before I work out (I have a little black coffee), I have some BP coffee and a small protein meal afterward.

Mary

• No one has mentioned cyclic ketosis method that makes it especially important to do re-feeds every few days.

Intermittently fasting and that is a huge must do.

• I think that's very true -- if you engage in IF, you especially need refeeds.

Mary

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Why do they feel they have to make things harder for us females?  :-|  Skipping breakfast and having just BPC is so much easier for me than not eating in the evening.

• Why do they feel they have to make things harder for us females?  :-|  Skipping breakfast and having just BPC is so much easier for me than not eating in the evening.

Totally agree, I sleep better with an evening meal and feel by far better with just BP coffee in the morning.  No evening meal = deprivation

• Honestly, skipping dinner every few days is pretty easy for me because I lose my appetite for dinner, especially if I eat breakfast for a few days. 

Last week work was stressful and I needed to bring all of my energy, so I added raw eggs and whey powder to my breakfast coffee for a few days. I was hungry for lunch, but lost my appetite for dinner starting on the second day. I probably won't move my IF to the evening permanently though because I like the social/emotional parts of eating dinner with my partner after a long day. 

"Most women in our culture, then, are disordered when it comes to issues of self-worth, self-entitlement, self-nourishment, and comfort with their own bodies; eating disorders, far from being ‘bizarre’ and anomalous, are utterly continuous with a dominant element of the experience of being female in this culture."— Susan Bordo 

• I listened to JJ & Dave a few times too. So fine, women shouldn't fast. But what should we do? How many carbs & when. I tell you, the longer I do this, the more confused I am!

About a year ago, I lost all my extra weight doing the "men's version" of BP. Textbook following the diet- kerrygold, ordering my grassfed beef online, everything. I was new, I missed the women shouldn't IF blog at first. So I did BP coffee only until 2pm most days. Done to goal weight & feeling awesome.

So then I heard I was doing several things wrong: I started doing refeeds 1 or 2 x a week after the creative live talks said I should. I added Upgraded collagen to my coffee a few mornings a week. I made myself eat a protein & fat breakfast a few morning a week. So now I have gained back 10 lbs, I am having hypoglycemic episodes/blood sugar huge swings (those dizziness attacks that started this thread). and my adrenals are whacked. WTF? Do I go back to IF every morning?? I am having trouble finding answers on the podcasts, the forum or anywhere else.

I am on bio identical hormones & thyroid, so those aren't really the issue. I am going to try going off eggs & butter (the only virgin diet eliminations I still eat) I bought a ketone meter & I am testing it first thing in the a.m. & 1pm, but I am still not certain how to play the ketosis game as a woman. I tested at .3 this morning & .7 before lunch today, btw.

So can anyone help me? I feel like I am doing everything right & it's going all wrong! I am so uncomfortable. I know more about the BP diet than anyone else in my circle, so there is no one else to help me! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!
  • edited January 2014

You have been doing this longer than I have, but from my experience it is best to just listen to your body.

Does it feel good to eat breakfast or do you have to force it? I only eat breakfast on days when I am craving food and otherwise I start the day with just bp coffee. 

I find that keeping my refeeds in a small window of the day is better than all day, so I will rock out an awesome rice or sweet potato dish a couple evenings. Again though, I can tell my body is down for this because I put a bunch on my plate and happily finish it.

I stopped wanting to take my B vitamins and then found out from testing that I don't really need to supplement these. 

Sometimes your body's intuition is wrong (if your adrenals aren't working right you crave sugar for example) or sometimes your intuition is too quiet to notice and in those times you probably need professional help.

At the risk of loud, obnoxious skeptic backlash from haters, I am going to suggest looking for an applied kinesiologist, which is a certified professional that sort of combines a chiropractor, nutritionist, and therapist into one, since these systems are all related. My applied kinesiologist drinks bulletproof coffee every morning because she knows how vital healthy fats are. Where are you located?

"Most women in our culture, then, are disordered when it comes to issues of self-worth, self-entitlement, self-nourishment, and comfort with their own bodies; eating disorders, far from being ‘bizarre’ and anomalous, are utterly continuous with a dominant element of the experience of being female in this culture."— Susan Bordo