Heart Palpitations & Gut Health

Over the last few weeks, I started experiencing what I believe are heart palpitations. They seem to be related to my coffee consumption. I have been drinking coffee with GF butter and sometimes MCT oil daily for the last 8 months. On average, I drink about 20 oz. of coffee per day (12oz. in the morning and 8 to 10 oz. around 1pm). Some days I have just the morning serving. Rarely, do I drink no coffee.

Prior to November of 2011, I never drank coffee. Prior to starting the BP coffee in November, I was a big consumer of Pepsi and 5 hour energy drinks. For many years. I believe that I probably consumed as much caffeine from those drinks, but never had this problem.

This is creating a real dilemna for me, because I love my coffee & butter. It really helps to keep me fueled with fat and gives me that added mental "acceleration".

Does anyone have any theories on why I might be experiencing this, now.

I have been eating paleo/bulletproof diet for the last 9 months, too (lost around 40 lbs so far image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':-)' /> ). If my gut health has improved, could I be absorbing more caffeine into my system? I haven't went through the process of finding a low-toxin coffee like the BP coffee, yet. Could toxins cause this issue?

Recently, I bought an Emwave2. Can the Emwave exercises help the palpitations in any way? Are palpitations the equivalent to non-coherence??

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]BilliardsBiohacker.com - [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Follow my biohacking projects and listen to my podcast, as I attempt to improve
my competitve pool performance, brain function and overall health.[/font]
Tagged:

Comments

• The heart palpitations may be a result of Ketosis and a potassium and/or magnesium deficiency. If you Google it you'll see that this seems to be fairly common. I've experienced it and after eating some carbs and foods rich in potassium/magnesium the heart pounding went away. Drank lots of water too. Not certain if it was the carbs or the potassium/magnesium.

Another theory I've seen discussed is that you can be releasing fat-stored toxins back into your system and screwing with you.

Hoping to hear from some folks much more experienced with this as well...
  • Magnesium deficiency would be my first thing to address. Try some natural calm at bed. For most of my patients, this does the trick.
  • The magnesium deficiency is interesting, because I thought the same thing. I had a really bad episode with palpitations Friday night. It was so bad that it disrupted my sleep...something that never happens to me. I woke up at 5am, wide awake. I took some magnesium supplements. Also, I did a 15 minute emwave session, trying to see if it would help stop the heart fluttering.

The last 24 - 36 hours has been much better. The palpitations have virtually stopped. I abstained from coffee on Saturday. I made a cup Sunday morning (today). I got about 1/2 way through the cup and could feel it starting to cause problems, so I stopped at 1/2 cup.

It would make sense that it could be related to ketosis. I had an extra cup of coffee w/butter on Friday and I had very little carbs that day. Maybe the extra coffee/butter w/ virtually no carbs was the source of the problem. Also, the 4 or 5 days leading into this event, I missed a lot of sleep due to work issues. I think my cortisol levels may have been higher than normal. Maybe that was a factor???

Thanks for the input David and Patel.

I'm going to take some potassium and magnesium supplements, too. Hopefully, that will help keep the flutters away.
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]BilliardsBiohacker.com - [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Follow my biohacking projects and listen to my podcast, as I attempt to improve
  • I had the same thing during exam period. Mind you, it was during exams. I thought it was stress related. But it has continued. I saw the dr and he listened to my heart and said it was fine. They are called misbeats. i havent had much success in making them better. I take plenty of magnesium. Will go and do potassium too. I find that deep breathing exercises help a little. It does unsettle me because the first couple times i thought i was having a heart attack. I have also been a large caffeine consumer. Lots of people on this forum have reported such things with heartbeats. Palpitations of some sort-whether misbeats, irregular beats, or rapid beats. Our cardiovascular system is closely regulated by the kidneys, baroreceptors (carotid, aortic etc), the central nervous system, the pituitary gland and hypothalamus. There are a lot of places things can go wrong. The balance is pretty easily upset, and luckily we have many ways to adapt.

Heart rates increase under the activation of the sympathetic nervous system and the release of adrenaline and noradrenaline. But also it can increase when you blood pressure drops, in the hope of raising it again. Your kidneys have the job of keeping or excreting salt and other ions and also for excreting water. If there is a unbalance in one way or another, that can make your heart, blood pressure, and passing of urine change.

I think we all sort of offset our bodies balance when we do things like change our diets dramatically. It does take quite a while for them to adjust. Not just weeks, months.

kittyk
  • I am 27 and awoke with heart palpitations every 1 minute one morning after a night of horrible sleep. I think they are caused by years of work stress / lack of sleep / too much caffeine. My doctor and the general consensus says that they aren't something to worry about. One day I had bad stress and low sleep after a family fight and got palpitations all the next day. I also am more likely to get one when holding a cell phone but that could be coincidence.

I now get a palpitation/double heart beat about 3x per day, mainly at random. I only drink 1-2 cups of bulletproof coffee per day. Also, after taking Vitamin D and Magnesium supplements for a month, my sleep and morning awakeness is better than ever. I was alaways one of those people who woke up feeling grouchy but one of those supplements did the trick. Hoping the palpitations go away completely someday however.
  • I hate to think that this is a condition that doesn't go away.

I have an Emwave2 and I have only used it a few times. I've been wanting to put it to the test. I'm going to put it to use to see if helps. I'll report back with my findings.
  • Mycotoxins cause heart palpitations, and so can histamine or other biogenic amines in coffee. Your'e drinking bad coffee. image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
  • Thanks Dave. I didn't know that mycotoxins could have that affect. Just another reason that I need to try some of your coffee. I need to pick up a grinder, then I'll be placing an order. I don't want to hassle with finding a local source. Thanks for the input.