How To Leash A Creative Mindset?

Hello every one this one is more a request for advice then anything else to help me take control of a two headed gift.

I have a creative mind, naturally I have constant streams of ideas and have a very handy talent for being able to come up with projects and solutions to things very quickly, as soon as I am given a project even if its just a few words I can literally feel my brain 'rev' up and a stream of ideas start forming and evolving become complete projects in my head. This is very good and I am glad of this ability as it does give me a distinct advantage but it also hiders me as I find it difficult to complete a projects and tasks before a new idea forms evolves and I lose motivation and effort in the other project.

I have taken steps to take advantage of this;

• Returning to education - Learning how to code and develop applications and programs (already self taught web programming) I am using the education to evolve my skills, Programming is a good way to be able to develop an idea into something tangible.

• I have also started taking modafinil (200mg) - I do not get anywhere near the levels of concentration others report, in fact what it gives me is motivation start working and a clearness to my mind which allows me to pick up on previous trains of thoughts straight away even after long times away from a computer/project. It also seems to clear up my mind allowing me to see a solution to an analytical problem quickly. Without it I can confuse my self following my code with it I seem to process the information and organise it better in my mind.

• I now write down ideas - to try and clear them out of my head, I know I can always pick them up at a later time which seems to help stop myself from developing them further and further.  

These are helping but what I really need is to improve my ability to stay more focused on a project and to finish something before starting other things, If i could do this I would have unlocked this gift and be able to really use it. I don't want to reduce my creativeness just focus it more.

Thank you for advice, tips or hacks

Comments

• GarrettGarrett
    edited November 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc7NNr8KnYs might be helpful for you :)

Also, are you doing all of your projects alone? Have you thought about finding somebody whose skills might compliment your own / make up for your 'apparent' weakness of 'completing the projects, as new ideas come up'? It really does sound like your gift is visionary-esque / firestarter.

I definitely agree that there's huge viability in being able to finish projects, but there's also something so powerful about the visionary ability. Often it's the visionary / 'idea person' who does get that flow happening, and then works on showing others that vision, and getting them jazzed on it, and working with it... as a 'we' project. Perhaps, once it's going, you'll have ideas to keep filtering in to the project?

I have a definite idea of where you're coming from on this :) 

• This sounds more like a basic inability to focus that we all have to some degree.  The brain has tons of inherent strategies for self-distraction when it comes time to buckle down and get to work.  Happens to everybody.  If you were less creative, you'd find your mind drifting to something besides new ideas, like getting a drink of water or checking email, etc. 

There's a method of focusing attributed to Einstein called the Distraction Index.  It's a simple enough technique, but tons of people swear by it.  Here's the technique as I found it described here:  http://theinvisiblementor.com/einstein-distraction-index-a-method-of-deep-focus/

• On a blank piece of paper, write the phrase “I won’t be distracted by that anymore” at the top of the page
    • Set a timer for five minutes and start to read the magazine [or whatever you're doing]
    • Each time you’re distracted, make a note of it and read the phrase you wrote out, silently to yourself
    • Start reading your material again
    • When the timer goes off, count the number of distractions that you had in five minutes

If you’re honest when doing this simple exercise, you’ll be surprised by the amount of distractions that you have had in five minutes. When you can be focused for five minutes without distractions, repeat the process for seven minutes and then for 10 minutes. If you keep on doing this you’ll be able to learn how long you can be distraction free.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc7NNr8KnYs might be helpful for you :)

Also, are you doing all of your projects alone? Have you thought about finding somebody whose skills might compliment your own / make up for your 'apparent' weakness of 'completing the projects, as new ideas come up'? It really does sound like your gift is visionary-esque / firestarter.

I definitely agree that there's huge viability in being able to finish projects, but there's also something so powerful about the visionary ability. Often it's the visionary / 'idea person' who does get that flow happening, and then works on showing others that vision, and getting them jazzed on it, and working with it... as a 'we' project. Perhaps, once it's going, you'll have ideas to keep filtering in to the project?

I have a definite idea of where you're coming from on this :)

I have had business partners in the past and to a point it works, but I am a perfectionist and find it hard to stand by and watch someone do a bad job of something. I hate to see someone ruin something I have worked on. Perfectionist another personal flaw I guess lol

This sounds more like a basic inability to focus that we all have to some degree.  The brain has tons of inherent strategies for self-distraction when it comes time to buckle down and get to work.  Happens to everybody.  If you were less creative, you'd find your mind drifting to something besides new ideas, like getting a drink of water or checking email, etc. 

There's a method of focusing attributed to Einstein called the Distraction Index.  It's a simple enough technique, but tons of people swear by it.  Here's the technique as I found it described here:  http://theinvisiblementor.com/einstein-distraction-index-a-method-of-deep-focus/

• On a blank piece of paper, write the phrase “I won’t be distracted by that anymore” at the top of the page
    • Set a timer for five minutes and start to read the magazine [or whatever you're doing]
    • Each time you’re distracted, make a note of it and read the phrase you wrote out, silently to yourself
    • Start reading your material again
    • When the timer goes off, count the number of distractions that you had in five minutes

If you’re honest when doing this simple exercise, you’ll be surprised by the amount of distractions that you have had in five minutes. When you can be focused for five minutes without distractions, repeat the process for seven minutes and then for 10 minutes. If you keep on doing this you’ll be able to learn how long you can be distraction free.

Very interesting!

Ordered! Thanks looks like a great read