Bp Coffee Safe For 19 Year Old?

Hey guys!

Pretty new to the site and I absolutely love it!

I'm a financial copywriter so something like BP coffee looks great for what I do.

All the benefits Dave talks about make me want to try it so bad with the MCT oil and butter.

I have a couple concerns though... first of all is this safe for 19 year old to drink?

I'm afraid of burning out my thyroid or becoming dependent on stimulants.

Second... with this make my acne break out? I actually have eating bulletproof before even seeing this website

and it cleared my acne up tremendously. But I have read that coffee can cause acne, and should be avoided like the plag.

That article can be read here http://www.clearskinforever.net/coffee-acne-does-coffee-trigger-acne/

If anyone could answer either of these questions I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!  

Comments

• From personal experience, no, coffee doesn't cause acne breakouts.  Dairy would be at the top of my list, followed by the caramel color in diet soda and some other foods, and then too much sugar and refined junk food in general.  Also, perhaps nutrasweet/aspartame and some other chemicals and food additives cause acne as well (the waxy stuff the food manufacturers put in cheap chocolate also messes with my skin).

Others may have a different opinion about coffee and/or caffeine and whether or not it causes acne.  In my 20's, I worked in an office where the temperature fluctuated, depending on which employees were currently getting their way with the building maintenance.  When my office space felt like the arctic zone and I resorted to drinking caffeinated coffee and tea all day long just to feel comfortable, my skin cleared up.  When the office felt like the French Riviera in July and I resorted to 3-4 (or more) diet cokes during the workday, my skin erupted like Mt. St. Helens.  I've gone through periods of time where I drank lots of coffee, and then times where I cut it out altogether and my coffee consumption has never seemed to correlate with acne.

If you are 19, your acne is probably still at least partly hormonal.  Try getting rid of sugar, even limiting your fruit to a couple of servings per day, and see what that does.  My 19 year old nephew eats fruit like it is going out of style and when I suggested he cut down on the fruit to help his acne, his response was:  "Aunt Mary, I think it's just hormonal.  In a few years, if I still have acne, then maybe I'll cut down on my fruit.  Maybe." 

Mary

• From personal experience, no, coffee doesn't cause acne breakouts.  Dairy would be at the top of my list, followed by the caramel color in diet soda and some other foods, and then too much sugar and refined junk food in general.  Also, perhaps nutrasweet/aspartame and some other chemicals and food additives cause acne as well (the waxy stuff the food manufacturers put in cheap chocolate also messes with my skin).

Others may have a different opinion about coffee and/or caffeine and whether or not it causes acne.  In my 20's, I worked in an office where the temperature fluctuated, depending on which employees were currently getting their way with the building maintenance.  When my office space felt like the arctic zone and I resorted to drinking caffeinated coffee and tea all day long just to feel comfortable, my skin cleared up.  When the office felt like the French Riviera in July and I resorted to 3-4 (or more) diet cokes during the workday, my skin erupted like Mt. St. Helens.  I've gone through periods of time where I drank lots of coffee, and then times where I cut it out altogether and my coffee consumption has never seemed to correlate with acne.

If you are 19, your acne is probably still at least partly hormonal.  Try getting rid of sugar, even limiting your fruit to a couple of servings per day, and see what that does.  My 19 year old nephew eats fruit like it is going out of style and when I suggested he cut down on the fruit to help his acne, his response was:  "Aunt Mary, I think it's just hormonal.  In a few years, if I still have acne, then maybe I'll cut down on my fruit.  Maybe." 

Awesome Mary! Thank you for the great response... my skin has been great since eliminating dairy, grains, and gluten. I don't eat to much fruit, but i'm a firm believer in some of the benefits of certain fruits! 

How about my other question? As far as it being healthy and or safe for a 19 year old to drink coffee?

• I can't address that one, although I started drinking coffee at age 15 against my parents' wishes. I know plenty of people who lived to be very old who drank coffee daily for most of their lives.  Coffee does contain some powerful antioxidents.  If you do decide to start partaking in coffee, maybe start out slowly -- 8-10 ounces per day -- and drink only really good quality coffee, like Dave Asprey's BP coffee.  If it's cheap coffee, skip it.

Mary

• I don't know specifically.  You might want to ask your doctor.  

I personally embrace Dave Asprey's coffee philosophy -- I love it!  But there are others in the health sciences world who do not.  One is the "brain doctor", Dr. Daniel Amen, who is very credible and knows his stuff.  You might read what his work from the other perspective.  I think Dr. Sara Gottfried is another who is not a coffee fan.

The other thing to consider.  If you ever do the 23andMe genetic test, you can find out if you have the genes to be a fast or slow caffeine metabolizer.  Go figure.  I am a slow metabolizer.  So I just try not to go overboard, and especially, no afternoon caffeine without a really good reason.  I am taking young adult niece, nephew and a couple of their friends for some late night/early morning "Black Friday" shopping and I think I will offer BP coffee to everyone who wants it before we go and see how we all fare :)

Namaste'

Mary

Mary

• I know the high levels of fat have caused acne breakouts for some people on this forum.
  • edited November 2013

Ask your mother first.

---

• I know the high levels of fat have caused acne breakouts for some people on this forum.

On the other spectrum, if I don't keep my fat content up, I start to break out.

• Did you ever find your answer to this? Coffee is usually problematic for me, but then again, I've never had bulletproof coffee, so maybe there's a difference?

Second... with this make my acne break out? I actually have eating bulletproof before even seeing this website

and it cleared my acne up tremendously. But I have read that coffee can cause acne, and should be avoided like the plague.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited December 2014

Did you ever find your answer to this? Coffee is usually problematic for me, but then again, I've never had bulletproof coffee, so maybe there's a difference?

I had worse / more frequent acne before drinking Bulletproof coffee and eating cleaner, but I never correlated acne with coffee when I had it. 

My first reaction was that it's likely stuff that comes along withe coffee that causes acne, primarily the sugar and milk so commonly used.

But I Googled this and found this article, that claims coffee causes acne for 7 reasons. Not that it's necessarily a valid source, but the general "X causes acne" type assumptions generally aren't supported by data any more academic than this sort of blog post. If you come up with any peer-reviewed studies, I'd be happy to look at them. (EDIT: I now see my Googling found the same article Andrew originally cited. All the better.) 

Below are the reasons from that article

and why they don't apply to Bulletproof coffee

1) "Coffee Magnifies the Body's Stress Response" (it goes on to say there are adrenal and cortisol issues which cause excess insulin)

This is true to a very small extent. If you have serious adrenal issues coffee is not right for you. However, it is fine for most people, and the claimed mechanism by which it makes acne worse, insulin, is a non-issue when you don't put milk/cream or sugar in your coffee. In fact, one of the major reasons to drink Bulletproof coffee is that you get a full breakfast without any insulin response. 

2) "Coffee Impairs Glucose Response and makes you Insulin Resistant" (makes it harder to process carbohydrates)

This is a dubious claim, but it doesn't matter since you won't have carbs anywhere near your Bulletproof coffee

3) "Milk and Sugar in Coffee Drinks Cause Acne"

No milk or sugar in this coffee drink. 

4) "Coffee makes you Crave Sweets"

Not if it's clean coffee, and certainly not when you blend fats in

5) "Coffee Interferes with Absorption of Minerals in Food"

Dubious, no minerals in Bulletproof coffee anyway. Most of us take our morning supplements with it, and the fat aids absorption

6) "Coffee can Disrupt your Gut Flora, Leading to Acne" (due to too much acid)

There is a lot of information in the Bulletproof Diet book on how Bulletproof coffee can help your gut flora by forcing them to run on fat for a portion of the day. In any case, the acid hypothesis is dubious.

7) "Coffee Contains Mycotoxins which can Trigger Acne"

Not Upgraded coffee beans

If you choose to buy Upgraded beans and are disappointed by them, I'll buy the remaining beans so long as they are whole bean. 

• my 17 yr old brother has acne issues and bulletproof has helped immensely coffee and diet.. when he follows it lol