Recommended Protocol For Starting Modafinil?

rmathesrmathes ✭✭
edited November 2013 in Cognitive Performance

After reading everything I could find from Dave on this subject and doing some other research, I decided to try Modafinil. Found a few online sources on these forums and ordered from an Indian pharmacy. Finally got my order. I received 60 200mg tablets.

From what I read, my plan is to cut them into quarters, 50mg each (roughly, tough to be exact). Then start taking one in the morning with breakfast, do that for a few days, see how I react, then if there are no adverse effects after maybe 3 days, either take a second 50 mg piece at lunch, or go to 100 mg in the morning if I feel like I'm not getting any positive change from the 50mg. And if I have no adverse effects and like the effect of the 50mg, then just stay there.

For those who have gone down this path, does that seem reasonable? Any suggestions on how to better do it? I appreciate any input, thanks.

One note: in case it makes any difference, the packaging says "Modvigil: each uncoated tablet contains Modafinil U.S.P 200 mg"

Comments

• I won't tell you what to do, but I'll tell you what I did. 

I started with 200mg in the AM, with no caffiene and a regular breakfast.  I am pretty much immune to stimulants so I wanted to see what the upper limit of dosage felt like.  200mg is too focused for me.  Not wiry or jittery, just focused.  Just make sure you have something interesting to do planned out ahead of time.  You need to organize the diretion of your focus before you take provigil.  I don't like this dosage for any task involving manual dexirity because I am too focused on the minutae.

From there I dropped to a 100mg dosage taken early in the morning.  This seems to be a good dosage for me.  At 100mg I don't start nodding off while driving or reading a book.  50mg does nothing for me.  For someone that really has some issues, provigil helps immensely.  Before provigil, I had to take a nap every 30 minutes while studying.  Now I take 0-1 naps per day.

I wouldn't recommend a split dosing regiment if you have any sleeping problems.  People say you can sleep on provigil, but I suspect some people have trouble with getting quality sleep that restores hormones etc.  If you've googled around enough you've probably read stories about people going off the deep end while on provigil...  My guess is that this is partially due to long term sleep deprivation.

Also before changing your dosage, make sure to take a few days off to wash it out of your system.  Don't drink alcohol, stay hydrated, take magnesium and get good sleep.  The most effective way to take it in my opinion is to enhanve a healthy baseline, not use it to return to baseline.

• jmayer.....thanks for your post.

So started with 50 mg in the morning for two days in a row. Felt nothing. Bumped to 100 mg this morning. Nothing.

Going to 150 mg tomorrow morning. If still nothing, will go to 200 mg. 

I"d rather ramp up continuously than take days off before upping the dose.  Feels like it would better allow my body and brain to adjust to this new variable.

I don't have the issues you have. I work in my clinic seeing clients most of the day, have to be very focused and I greatly enjoy what I do. My energy level stays pretty consistently decent through the day. Having a cup of BPC in the morning and then sipping on another two cups through the rest of the day up until about 3pm helps there, too.

I'm not trying this to remedy some problem, but because Dave describes it as a way to feel 'really good' and increase alertness, mood and productivity. So it's an experiment.

• I am having an issue with Nuvigil and sleep. I am only taking 150mg, over 12 hours before sleep yet cannot get in to a deep sleep. Anyone have any experience with this?

Last night I even upped my melatonin from 3mg to 6mg to no effect.

• Reduce the dosage and take it as early as possible.  Also try and take some days off every week. 

Have you tried modafinil?

I would avoid melatonin supplementation. 

If you are consuming caffeine, make sure it's early.

I am having an issue with Nuvigil and sleep. I am only taking 150mg, over 12 hours before sleep yet cannot get in to a deep sleep. Anyone have any experience with this?

Last night I even upped my melatonin from 3mg to 6mg to no effect.