Newbie, Tia For Your Patience - Modafinil/aniracetm Etc

So I got started on this because of what I've seen Dave speak about online, and I got Alertec in Canada by prescription.

My first day, I took two at 1pm and nothing happened well until the evening, when I got super focused and could feel everything that I was expecting in the forums. I was a little disappointed it took so long, as I gave one to my friend and he was off to a running start in just 30 mins. 

So I took two more in the morning at 6 am with no food, and it worked wonders until I would say about 2 pm. Then nothing. It's been like this for days (200 mg each time, the third day was 300 mg but now I'm back on 200 mg).

My question is how do I find out if this works for me? Learning about my genotype, etc etc? I'm pretty brand new so any direction would be very helpful. 

I'm using it for the side benefits of controlling my ADHD and I have never and will never try Adderall/Ritalin etc. 

I've been thinking about getting some Aniracetam with it or maybe doing some gingko to promote blood flow to the brain but I also don't know if that would help. I've considered getting Armodafinil as well. 

Any advice to start would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• GhastlyPrezGhastlyPrez Ghastly Prezence

With nootropics and some other supplements it works on a "hit-n-miss" type strategy. So basically you need to tinker with your dosing amount and see what is effective for you.

Aniracetam is a great nootropic however I've had a few friends complain about mild drowsiness when they first started taking it. I would suggest starting with Piracetam since it is a great building block for creating a nootropic stack. Piracetam also has the added benefit of stimulating your corpus callosum. You can find a pretty good deal of information about various Racetams and a handful of nootropics on the "What is" pages at Smart Drugs for Thought.

• With nootropics and some other supplements it works on a "hit-n-miss" type strategy. So basically you need to tinker with your dosing amount and see what is effective for you.

Aniracetam is a great nootropic however I've had a few friends complain about mild drowsiness when they first started taking it. I would suggest starting with Piracetam since it is a great building block for creating a nootropic stack. Piracetam also has the added benefit of stimulating your corpus callosum. You can find a pretty good deal of information about various Racetams and a handful of nootropics on the "What is" pages at Smart Drugs for Thought.

Thanks for the response. I was looking into getting my genotyping for cyp3a4 and see if such drugs would work for me. 

I've been thinking about trying the armodafinil since most people say if one doesn't work, the other usually does, and maybe stacking that with some gingko and Aniracetam.  

What works well for you?

• GhastlyPrezGhastlyPrez Ghastly Prezence

I take a lot of racetams, and cycle between cdp and alpha gpc as my choline source. Adrafinil works well for me in the morning, along with some coffee and either phenylpiracetam or oxiracetam. L-theanine and sulbutiamine help with my "nerves". And I'm looking forward to trying Tianeptine some and seeing how that works for me.

• Where do you recommend I learn about cycling and how I can find out what works for me? Cause I know that Moda works for me, although I may not be able to do it on a regular basis as Much as I had hoped I would, so it's all about finding that right balance. I also want to stack it with Aniracetam.

• You may want to consider trying CILTEP rather than Modafinil. I've never tried modafinil, but I do know it is probably a more effective version.

Alternatively, look into the right dosages of caffeine + L-Theanine. I'm not sure why this gets pushed aside so easily. It's incredibly effective.

• I just started CILTEP last week (artichoke + forskolin) with BPC and my normal AM stack (D3/K2/Krill/COQ10/PQQ/ALCAR/RALA) and had ridiculous alertness after the addition of CILTEP.  

Be careful with CILTEP about optimizing forskolin (abelard's version has only 4mg which comes from a 1% extract of a 400mg dose).  Most forskolin is 20% extract in a 100mg cap, so you would be getting 20mg which may just be an unnecessarily large dose.  On the other hand, not knowing what is in 80-99% of your supplement isn't the most BP thing, so I would read up as much as possible on this if you're going to do it. Start here: http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/51732-chemically-induced-ltp/

• Hey pizzabagel, glad to see you're having results with CILTEP. As I understand it, not only is it "overkill" to use 20mg of forskolin, but it actually doesn't provide the same effect. It is 4mg for a reason.

• One serving of Natural Stack's CILTEP has 4mg of forskolin (from 20mg of coleus forskohlii (root) extract, standardized for 20%).

After years of experimenting with dosages, 4mg of forskolin was found to be the sweet spot.  Anything more than that can diminish the desired cognitive effects and might cause afternoon fatigue.  

Forskolin increases transcription of acetylcholinesterase (AChE).  Acetylcholinesterase breaks down acetylcholine in the brain.  Simply put, acetylcholine controls the brain's speed of processing information, and low levels of acetylcholine can cause sleepiness.  This is why acetyl-l-carnitine (ALCAR) is including in the formula.  ALCAR increases the levels of acetylcholine in the brain and thus counteracts the increased transcription of acetylcholinesterase from the forskolin. 

A "white paper" on CILTEP written by Abelard Lindsay is available as a free download on our website (naturalstacks.com). It's a great summary detailing stacks' development and how it works. 

Co-Founder of NaturalStacks.com - creators of CILTEP®, SmartCaffeineâ„¢, MagTechâ„¢, and BioCreatineâ„¢ 

• I emptied out my 100mg capsules of Thorne forsklin and will start measuring out 20mg (at 20% extract should standardize to 4mg).  There is talk in the thread of a 98% version of forsklin - I'll check this out when I'm out of the Thorne.

• Wow, glad to see some people know about the CILTEP stack. I'd like to know what you guys do on the off days to resensitize your receptors.. I took CILTEP for about 6 months straight without any days off and the effects wore off and left me with brainfog so I'm taking quite a large break atm (2 weeks so far) so overuse/abuse can have its toll. Abelard recommends taking 1g ALCAR and either NALT/L-phenylalanine  on off days to prevent low dopamine levels if I remember correctly, I think in the past replies in his topic he recommended galantamine as well.  Are there any other additions to an "off CILTEP stack" during weekends or times when you don't need it to help prevent those nasty side effects of low dopamine levels?

• I came back to CILTEP today after about 5 days off.  I put 20mg of forsklin (emptied out from Thorne caps - 20% so 4mg total) into my BPC (5 tbps of butter + 15ml BOO + 45ml MCT) along with 200mg of Theanine (which I usually do anyway).  I took a 500mg cap of Artichoke extract (Jarrow - 5% so I guess 25mg).  My normal morning stack also includes ALCAR/RLA/Ubiq-PQQ/VitC as well.

I wasn't sure how spacing out the forsklin would work (i.e. drinking the BPC over an hour) with taking the artichoke cap.  Just finished the BPC after an hour and the CILTEP magic is definitely kicking in - MAJOR FOCUS.  This ironically happened while reading the CILTEP thread (the 71 page one on Longecity).  I'm not at all distracted by the things that usually get me off my game in the morning (i.e. people walking in and out of my kitchen while I'm reading).  I pretty much just want to go to work now.

I should also say that I did 5 mins of HRV training on the emwave prior to consuming (trying to make that my new ritual while I'm making BPC).  I'll report back later - this focus is so intense that i can't see myself wanting to do this all the time, so I'm pretty content to do this sporadically and continue to see how I feel afterward.

• I never really cycle the CILTEP as I use it (along with any other smart drug) for acute purposes only. Looks like I need it for a project, I take it - otherwise try to back off. I do the same thing with caffeine.

• Yeah - I couldn't ever see myself using that full time, though it is a nice tool to have in the chest.  I really like Phenylpiracetam (+ Ashwaghanda) as well for focus but that is for selective use as well.  I'm going to continue to tweak this CILTEP thing to my specs - gonna try to see if Phenylalaline makes a difference.

I never really cycle the CILTEP as I use it (along with any other smart drug) for acute purposes only. Looks like I need it for a project, I take it - otherwise try to back off. I do the same thing with caffeine.

• I take CILTEP every weekday (usually 3 capsules, sometimes 2) and I always take the weekends off. I've never experienced feelings of low dopamine levels. 

Co-Founder of NaturalStacks.com - creators of CILTEP®, SmartCaffeineâ„¢, MagTechâ„¢, and BioCreatineâ„¢ 

• I take CILTEP every weekday (usually 3 capsules, sometimes 2) and I always take the weekends off. I've never experienced feelings of low dopamine levels. 

May depend on your type. I know Abelard and I are both dopamine dominant.