Staying Healthy And Bulletproof While Traveling

Looking for advice on staying healthy, strong, mentally alert, getting better sleep, etc basically staying bulletproof on extended trips. I travel often for work and frequently take a new flight everyday for weeks at a time, so it would be great to find ways to improve my overall health while traveling.

Specifically

1. How to make bulletproof coffee in a hotel room.

2. Tips for traveling with butter

3. What supplements are best to help compensate for a fast pace, low sleep, questionable nutrition lifestyle?

4. Is bringing whey protein advisable?

5. What are some snacks or portable food to bring in cary-on luggage?

6. Tips for optimizing hotel room sleep.

7. Bulletproof exercises that can be done in a hotel room.

8. General tips for staying bulletproof during extensive travel.

Thanks everyone,

Jeffrey
Tagged:

Comments

• edited August 2012
    For the BP coffee:

1. Travel Grinder: This thing works fantastic IMO - great engineering, great quality. http://www.amazon.co...=travel+grinder and this coffee cone is great too http://www.amazon.co...con+coffee+cone

3. I like the vitamins in the BP diet to start. When I'm traveling, I also carry Emergency-C incase I start to feel a cold...

4. I put Whey in a double-zip lock bag and remove all the air - they key is to double bag and remove air so it wont explode all over your clothes!

5. I like various raw nuts and also some of the more natural/green protein bars from whole foods. I typically roll out with 6oz of nuts and 2 bars for a day trip (way more than i need, but just in case, and I might end up giving them to less prepared friends as well). For longer trips, I take 6-10 bars (a box) and 12oz or more of nuts.

6. Stay at the same type of hotel as you get points (status can help with getting better rooms) yet find the one(s) that have the best bed for you (marriots, westin, w, etc have great beds) > get a quiet room (away from elevators) > eat good foods at a time that allows you to get to bed, avoid overeating (happens when traveling) as this can keep you up > get ready for bed earlier than you think > do not drink alcohol as your bodies response to alcohol can be to release things that wake you up (yeah, can be hard when traveling) > control the temperature of the room > relax your mind > have standardized gear such as "sleep clothes", ear plugs, eye mask - the key is to be as comfortable as possible by controlling as much stimulus as possible (if you get a room on a loud street or there are 1000 people protesting outside - ear lugs become incredibly useful) > if I cannot get to sleep in 20-60 mins, I do some stretching/yoga, emails, or watch movies and this all seems to help during the wide-awake-yet-need-to-be-sleeping moments.

7. Body weight stuff - squats, push-ups, sit-ups and yoga, etc. I like yoga, and do various things i've downloaded from youtube that target the hips and back as this seems to make me feel better on planes (limber). I bring a tennis ball to roll out knots (trigger point) and also have a foam roller that is hollow

8. Hydrate > Get sleep
  • Excellent questions! Excellent answers! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

You could bring the EmWave to help calm you before sleep. SounderSleepSystem mini moves ca do the same.

I would avoid lights and screens at night.

Earthing is supposed to be very effective for jetlag and helps the quality of sleep.

You can find very thin yoga mats for traveling.

If you have your laptop you can bring exercise videos - like T-Tapp which Dave and his wife recommend.

My overall favorite is Ana Forrest "Strength and Spirit". If you like yoga I can HIGHLY recommend the simple and profound program in "The tibetan book of yoga". Once you know it it is easy to remember - and bring with you everywhere.

Bringing a coal filter for water could be a good idea. Go for glass water bottles.

Coconut chips are easy to bring with you and they don't spike your insulin.

You could make ghee which doesn't go bad easily and can be kept outside the fridge.

You can also bring coconut oil.

Dave has a video on youtube where he makes BP coffee in a café with a small handheld blender.

With a travel blender you can make smoothies with your protein powder, fats and maybe some local berries or avocados.

Maybe you can even make Get Some Ice Cream with local eggs (I would poor some boiling water over them before cracking them to kill any salmonella). You could bring the BP sweeteners and vanilla from home.

Echinacea can keep you from catching a cold. Vitamin C too.

I guess chlorella could come in handy to help the body detox possible toxins.

I find that arctic root is excellent for stress and lack of sleep.

Melatonin might help with sleep and jetlag as well.

You could also bring some greens powders to keep you alkaline and nurtured if you don't get enough greens on the road.

It might pay to bring a good travel pillow for sleeping. Often hotel rooms have way too high pillows.

The indians say washing your feet before sleep can help with good sleep image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Meditating is always a good thing image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I have read that it is a very good idea not to eat on the airplane which dries out your system. Wait till you land if you can.

You could also brings some fibers, like chia seeds. They will also give you proteins and fat.

Ok, I better stop! image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
  • Thanks for the useful and informative replies Owen and Miamaya, much appreciated!

Are there any posts out there with air travel tips? As Miamaya stated eating on a plane may "dry out your system," I recall Dave mentioning in a podcast that sleeping on a plane can be problematic unless you're in 1st class (which I assume has to do with recycled air)? Is there any information out there that address the optimum ways to travel by air: how to prepare, what to do / not do while on the plane, and post flight "hacks" to improve overall health during frequent air travel?

thanks again

Jeffrey
  • for flying:

1. be well rested. planes are pressurized to an equivalent of 9000 feet, so if you are altitude-sickness prone (bothered by lower oxygen levels and dryness, prepare for that)

2. be hydrated (I drink 1-2Ls of water on 9-14hr flights). the air on planes is dry (for me), so I drink a lot of water.

3. be ready to control your level of stimulation: sound/ear-plugs, light/eye-mask, temp/comfortable clothes to control hot/cold

4. take some high-quality foods with you (bars, nuts, something)... it can be really hard to find decent food in airports

5. get a good seat. sleeping in coach is no fun (for me). sleeping in biz or 1st tends to be much easier - in any case, check out seatguru and get the best seat possible...and keep in mind that biz on one airline could be just a little better than coach on another - for me, this means getting the max space possible that is also guarded from unwanted stimulus (being close to bathrooms can stink bad, being in the exit rows on 777/747s means people will be accidently kicking your feet as many people tend to stand and/or stretch out there, being near the galley/food-prep-areas is noisy...).

6. if you fly the high-service airlines (singapore, thai airlines), they tend to touch you a lot (wakes me up) to see if you want anything (like every 20 mins)...so when they ask, and they will, let them know what you want to do (sleep OR get checked every 20 mins)

6. think light weight and carry-on: extreme travel means lots of carrying stuff, tight connections...when you're beat down, having lots of extra heavy stuff adds up. be light.
  • To make bulletproof coffee in my hotel room next week, I'm bringing the clever coffee dripper. It's plastic which is a bad thing but it's much lighter weight than a ceramic Hario drip cone. I saw the link above to a collapsible silicone dripper.

Has anyone else figured out a portable coffee dripper?
  • Another question: my new earthing mat says it should be only used with 120V power. How do people use their mats outside the U.S. and Canada - bring a voltage transformer? If so, which one do you use? Thanks!
  • J.LordJ.Lord
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the info on air travel Owen. Very helpful. Hydration and planning ahead to bring healthy snacks are things I tend to slack on when fatigued, with my improved diet and new supplements the level of fatigue is much more manageable.

For Peter's Coffee question here's what I've been using.

This portable french press here: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B004AUDLRU/

With this Immersion Water Heater: http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000VK0DRY/

The process isn't ideal but it made great coffee for me for over a month on the road + it was nice to have a togo cup.

The process is: boil the water in the french press, (once boiling) pour water into two hotel coffee mugs, add the coffee grounds to the (now empty) frech press, then pour the freshly boiled water back into the french press.

I wasn't making BP coffee as I still haven't resolved how to travel with butter for more than a day or two, so that's something to consider. That said, I had great coffee every morning that was relatively easy to make, would work for BP coffee if you poured back into a mug etc.

For your mat, most hotels have transformers they will give you, otherwise an adaptor from a travel store or radio shack will solve your problem for under $20.
  • 'Peter' wrote:

Another question: my new earthing mat says it should be only used with 120V power. How do people use their mats outside the U.S. and Canada - bring a voltage transformer? If so, which one do you use? Thanks!

Peter, we ground it via the radiator (metal to metal) which is grounded.
  • Tiffin Metal boxes work perfectly for transporting butter because they won't get crushed by anything in your luggage. Ziplock two blocks and then clamp it shut. World Market has a good one.
  • you dont need a french press for making coffee. The coffee sinks anyway. So you just need hot water, a cup and coffee.

I would love to welcome you on my new page: www.soul-smoothies.com