Hacking Vocabulary And Fluency

Morning guys,

I'm deep into hacking my life.. Ill try to analise (make anal) everything I'm doing..  Ha thats a ridiculous thing to write... 

Anyway.. I wondered if you had any tips or tricks you employ when it comes to using vocabulary and the fluency of thought when it comes to conversation.  I am pretty wordy, I have been a fan of Russ Brand for years and that sparked me to increase my vocab by finding new words and trying to use them often, which helps and has stuck... Where I fall short is in conversation my mind sometimes screeches to a halt or I will forget words that I know but they dont come to me quick enough which annoys me.  My writing and text messaging etc is fine and my imagination while using this has been said to be surreal and abstract which is what I love to be like, it's just that I want to be quicker so I can be like this in conversation.

Are there any books or kinda improv type stuff that I could investigate?.. I would love to go to an improv class but I live in South Wales Uk and there really isnt much about.. 

\m/(>.<)\m/ www.trucke.co.uk - my rockband!! \m/(>.<)\m/

Comments

• Ah nice.. Just checking that out now.. !! How do you yourself use the site? just for the vocab? 

The only thing I think of with things like this is in my mind, they have a load of food all waiting to go to these hungry mouths and they are like "uh huh, not until someone in the world tells me where you wear a Stetson" 

But a good incentive to increase your vocab.. Ill use this a lot.. thanks bud!! 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

For this, I'd recommend a couple of things. Firstly, READ. Read a lot. It's a phenomenal way to build up your vocabulary, while also broadening your intellectual horizons. Read widely, in many genres. Read a mix of fiction and non-fiction. Most importantly: Read stuff that's completely over your head. Deep philosophical works. Technical writing. Highly-regarded literature by renowned prose-stylists. By immersing yourself in more challening material and striving to grasp it, you'll see gradual, but definite growth.

Fluency? Surround yourself with intelligent, confident people. People who are good at conversation. For me, it was only when I began challenging myself intellectually and surrounding myself with other people who did the same that I saw gains in this area. Fluency in writing can be accomplished simply by writing a lot, and mastering the mechanics of language will also go a long way towards this.

I know that you said your writing is fine and whatnot, but I would suggest refining your skills in those areas further, as such refinement will lead to gains in every area-- including your conversational skills. Speak with a lot of interesting, intelligent people. Also, read difficult literature out loud. This sounds dumb perhaps, but as your reading aloud improves, you'll not only become more comfortable using great words and discussing difficult subjects, but you'll pick up the natural rhythmn of language. So often those blanks in your memory during conversation are caused by a lack of familiarity with the words or subject matter you wish to discuss. Other times, it's due to a lack of confidence. Becoming a better reader and reading a lot will go a long ways towards addressing both of these things.

Dunno if any of that is helpful to you, but best of luck, mate. I see you starting a lot of threads like these and I think it's awesome that you're striving for excellence in so many different aspects of life. I love communities like this one for that very reason; those of us with a hunger for self-improvement can come together and compare notes, as well as encourage one another.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Cheers man, its prob the first time I've met people who seem to have the answers I've been searching for.. It is a great community, very excited bunch of people..  Also cheers for the answer.. Its what ive been looking for ! ha 

I started reading all the american classics.. I read books like The Great Gatsby, To Kill and mocking bird, catcher in the rye, the fountainhead etc... I found I didnt have a whole lot of time to read the books, so I downloaded the audio books and listened on my commutes to and from work, bout hour and halfsworth a day.. this although entertaining doesnt have the same vocab impact as reading using a kindle app as you can check the meaning of words on the fly.. I need to make more of an effort to read my books, I have loads.. 

I think thats what it is, its consciously challenging yourself and getting out of your depth as often as your comfortble with if that makes sense, like a controlled almost syllabus type approach to it.. Ive found if I want to do something it really helps me to know where I am in conjunction with the mastery of that subject, kinda like guitar or piano grades, it gives me a sense of progression and more clarity on what I need to do next for continued progression.. Things like a scattered knowledge or a subject where I'm not measured I find it hard to find the point in applying myself because I dont get that feedback, which is exactly why im so interested in bio feedback and making excel forecastings of my money, which puts into perspective why I'm saving this month.. 

Maybe in the same light as this forecasting/feedback type life I could apply it to language fluency and / or book reading.. Like forecast based on my reading speed how long it would take me to read a list of books.. Hmm, ridiculously anal, but if thats what seems to make me work then roll with the punch.. I love excel! ha! 

My buddies are pretty intelligent, none are doing things like I do tho, and I really fear outgrowing people, and I really dont mean that in a Im better than them style, I scare myself as with my forecasts from every aspect of my life I can totally see that I will be a very different person in a relatively short space of time.. Im up for it tho!! :-) 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Level 47. Addictive. 2580 grains of rice. Do they really donate it?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    I assume so! The site is run by the World Food Program so you would hope they actually send it :-D

I think they make money to buy the rice as you play rather than sitting on a stockpile. That's just my guess though!

I'd also recommend reading Great Expectations and other Dickens books. I noticed the way I wrote totally changed while I was reading that.
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

I assume so! The site is run by the World Food Program so you would hope they actually send it :grin:

I think they make money to buy the rice as you play rather than sitting on a stockpile. That's just my guess though!

I'd also recommend reading Great Expectations and other Dickens books. I noticed the way I wrote totally changed while I was reading that.

Yep, surround yourself with better writers than you. 

Right now I'm on Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. Man, you gotta read the intro. 

When it was released, there was a huge public backlash "it's immoral, it's disgusting, you shouldn't publish this rubbish" etc So he prefaced the book with an introduction. It's the best literary middle finger ever. He turned the whole thing around on the critics. I actually burst out laughing in the bookstore and bought it straight away, even though I was looking for a Sherlock Holmes set. 

No sorcery, just science. 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited November 2013

The Picture of Dorian Gray is my favorite book of all time. Excellent, excellent story by an awesome author. Recommended!

@Hotspoons-- I kind of know what you mean about "outgrowing" people. When you spend so much time focusing on self-improvement and the people around you seem focused only on burrowing deeper into terrible habits, it can be really hard to relate. Sounds arrogant perhaps, but I find I have less and less in common with most people these days. I feel like a completely different animal.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!