Substitute "organic" Butter For Grass-Fed? (Canada)

edited August 2012 in Bulletproof Coffee
I'm in Canada, and subject to our ridiculous dairy laws that keep our supplies and options limited- and the prices high. I understand that we can't get grass-fed butter here, so I wonder how much of a downgrade of Bulletproof coffee would using "organic" butter be? has anyone tried that at all? Any comparison between using grass fed and organic?

Comments

• PaigePaige BPIF
    edited August 2012

I'm in Canada, and subject to our ridiculous dairy laws that keep our supplies and options limited- and the prices high. I understand that we can't get grass-fed butter here, so I wonder how much of a downgrade of Bulletproof coffee would using "organic" butter be? has anyone tried that at all? Any comparison between using grass fed and organic?

I'm in Canada too, in a small town near Kingston and Ottawa. THe only store brand that I have found near me (through MUCH research) is Organic Meadow. Our Canadian Superstore carries it, but it sells out quickly. They claim that their butter is ALMOST 100% grass-fed in the grass-growing season (now). I've been using it for 3 weeks and done well.

Otherwise, I did find ONE local farm that makes their own 100% grass-fed butter but its been too hot for her to produce it yet. I'm patiently waiting!

I have read a few places on dave's posts that NON-grassfed butter is CRAP and cannot be substituted. Organic or not.
  • Thanks Paige, I will look for Organic Meadow! So I guess that would put this as an OK choice until around mid-October at latest.
  • Brokerfang where are you located? You may want to try whole foods if you are in a major city.
  • I have read a few places on dave's posts that NON-grassfed butter is CRAP and cannot be substituted.
    2.gif
  • I've found the Organic Meadow butter. It's Okay, but I'd still prefer to find some grass-fed!

Deeperinit, I'm in Canada and due to government controls, we don't have grass fed butter up here, never mind a Whole Foods location.

I've seen the references to making Bulletproof with Ghee. Does that have to be grass-fed Ghee as well?

• I've found the Organic Meadow butter. It's Okay, but I'd still prefer to find some grass-fed!

Hey BrokenFang, are you near Brockville by any chance? I may have some grass fed butter for ya! If you are interested let me know.
  • edited September 2012
    'Paige' wrote:

Hey BrokenFang, are you near Brockville by any chance? I may have some grass fed butter for ya! If you are interested let me know.

Oh wouldn't I love that! Unfortunately I'm just north of the GTA in Aurora! Thanks!
  • WHY MUST CANADA HAVE THESE DAIRY LAWS?!?! image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

I'm in Winnipeg and I have no access to grass-fed butter. I guess [font=Georgia, serif]Organic Meadow butter is my only option... how does it compare for all the anti-oxidants and whatnot? [/font]
  • Just got introduced to this entire new world of BP nutrition very excited about getting started. Unfortunately by reading the above post as one who lives in Ottawa, Canada What exactly are my options for grassfed butter ?
  • I'm in Toronto and am having a hard time finding grass fed butter too..
  • edited October 2012
    I've found a place in Ontario.

http://www.brookersm...69&category=717

I haven't tried it out yet. My brother is placing a order with them and i'm going to order the butter when he does.

Also their eggs are from chickens that are grain free.

• I've found a place in Ontario.

http://www.brookersm...69&category=717

I haven't tried it out yet. My brother is placing a order with them and i'm going to order the butter when he does.

Also their eggs are from chickens that are grain free.

Could you keep us updated on this. I'm having the same problems as everyone else finding grass fed butter. If this farm really does make 100% grass fed butter, that would be amazing. Just sent them an emailing inquiring about it.
  • lav2klav2k Comic Creator
    edited December 2012
    Great thread. I can't believe how ridiculous our dairy regulations are.

Anybody in the Edmonton area have luck finding any organic butter suppliers?

I'm gonna check my local superstore for organic meadows this weekend. I'm excited about that.

I'm fairly new to the BP diet. I've been using Lucern brand unsalted butter in my coffee for the past month. I've noticed an increase in mental energy since doing so. It's been pretty noticable.

Has anyone else had any positive effects from Lucern butter, or non grain-fed? What are the negative effects of non grass-fed butter?
  • I'm in Vancouver and I drive down to Trader Joe's in Bellingham, Washington. less than an hours drive(give or take border lineups) for KERRYGOLD butter. about $3-4USD per stick.

Dont know about other locations close to the border across Canada but check out their site to see if there is one relatively close to you.

And I agree, the import laws/dairy laws in Canada are fairly ridiculous
  • edited January 2013
    Has anyone in the Ottawa area gone over the border in Cornwall or Brockville to buy to Kerry Gold ? Seems like it would be our only option .. we should organise a group and take turns going once a month to load up !

Are we allowed to do this or are we going to run into problem when we cross the border back into Canada ? I found this :

http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/brirape.shtml

does this mean we can only bring back 20$ worth of butter per person .. or 20 KG ?

Cheers,