Athletic Performance And Nursing

I am fairly new to Bulletproof and hoping that some of you can help me become more "Bulletproof."

I am a 34 yo Breastfeeding mother of 10 month old twins. I am a CrossFit athlete (non-competitive) and middle distance runner (up to 13.1, planning for 26.2 in 2014). And I am a resident physician working up to 86 hours per week.

I work out for about an hour at 5:30 am, following a cup of a "mini" BP coffee (with 1 only Tbsp MCT and 1 tsp Kerrygold, as this to be all my stomach can handle right now).

Post-workout is often a whey protein smoothie with coconut milk, berries and either banana or avocado, or a bowl of "oats" made from eggs, banana, ground almonds, and spices with some fresh berries. The rest of the day is grassfed steak or salmon with lots of veggies and usually 1 Japanese sweet potato per day.

While I still have some baby weight to lose (I am 5'6" and 149 lbs, about 10 lbs higher than my pre-pregnancy weight) my #1 priority is my milk supply, and #2 is building strength (I was on bed rest for 3 months at the tail end of my pregnancy).

How can I improve my strength and post-workout recovery, and maximize nutrition, without over stressing my body so that it adversely affects my twins?

Comments

• Looks like you need to improve your fat digestion.  Maybe some Lipase would help.  Milk Thistle would boost your liver function but I'm not sure whether you can take this while nursing.  I certainly hope you are getting some assistance with your lovely twins.  The last ten pounds often are not the easiest to lose.  It will happen.  Don't weigh too often because with BP you automatically increase muscle mass even if you weren't exercising. 

• @crossfit mom.... thank you for the healthy attitude = #1 being good milk and care for the babies!! @Jason... why no fruit? There are soooooo many vitamins and minerals and antioxidants in fruit that she could use for her own body which is working out on top a 80 hour work weeks?!?!?!? I would say you need more carbs....

• Because of all the fructose I believe. Veggies and those sweet potatoes and white rice have those same good points, not the negative ones.
  • Thank you all so much for the recommendations and kind words! I have no problems drinking 2 servings of decaf Bulletproof coffee (each with 2 Tbsp Kerrygold and 1-2 Tbsp MCT) on rest days, or with large servings of "get some" ice cream, it's just the pre-workout fat ingestion that doesn't sit well with me. I tried a full BP coffee with some betaine HCl before a short run yesterday and it went well, so I'll keep working on it! And cutting the fructose as well, an avocado & berry smoothie is sounding pretty delicious right now.
  • Jason I tried your recommendation this morning with a small sweet potato, 3 egg yolks, 1 Tbsp MCT, and 2scoops grassfed whey in coconut water after strength and a 20 min met-con WOD. It was delicious, but I was still quite hungry afterwards. I'm wondering if it was the relative lack of carbs in my dinner last night. Thoughts?