Hormones Off?

Hi all I am new to this forum.  I've been in a detox protocol for a year now.  Was LC for that year as well.

I have been in AF, but am recovering, having more energy.  I will be 46 in April, TTC as well.  I have been reading about Matt Stone and wanted to know what any of you think.  If this subject has already been brought up..I apologize.. I dont have a lot of time to browse each thread.  

I had a very weird period last month.. spotted for two days.  I am very regular with menses for 4 to 5 days.  I have put on a little weight..probably 5 or 6 pounds mostly in my abd, butt, upper thighs.

My period is 2 weeks late.  Last 3 weeks off and on cramping, last 2 weeks nipple and breast tenderness.  I could be peri-menapausal or have a complex cyst or pregnant.  I am having an US next week and seeing my pcp.  I have no experience with perimenapause yet... so not sure if this is normal for that.  

I have been researching some stuff about thyroid.  I take my BBT early am 330am.. and it is 97.0 to 97.7.  Avg is 97.3.   I was wondering if all these symptoms could also be my thyroid.

I have been adding some starches and rice in case it is my thyroid.  Matt Stone suggests eating more to normalize the thyroid.  I have been taking a good brand of kelp as well.

I also found information about placing your face in an ice cold bath for a few minutes daily to jump start the thyroid.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I did consult with Rod a bit and I am planning on having a full profile done at his suggestion.

Thanks so much and if I am not in the right thread/forum.. sorry

Also, has anyone gained weight using MCT oil/coconut cream... I've started making the smoothies Dave and his wife suggest in the "Better Baby book".

Ive been making my dandylion root tea with butter and  MCT oil, I eat good healthy grass fed butter, good fats, veggies, and grass fed meat..

Thanks so much

Sincerely, 

Kim

Comments

• Hi all I am new to this forum.  I've been in a detox protocol for a year now.  Was LC for that year as well.

I have been in AF, but am recovering, having more energy.  I will be 46 in April, TTC as well.  I have been reading about Matt Stone and wanted to know what any of you think.  If this subject has already been brought up..I apologize.. I dont have a lot of time to browse each thread.  

I had a very weird period last month.. spotted for two days.  I am very regular with menses for 4 to 5 days.  I have put on a little weight..probably 5 or 6 pounds mostly in my abd, butt, upper thighs.

My period is 2 weeks late.  Last 3 weeks off and on cramping, last 2 weeks nipple and breast tenderness.  I could be peri-menapausal or have a complex cyst or pregnant.  I am having an US next week and seeing my pcp.  I have no experience with perimenapause yet... so not sure if this is normal for that.  

I have been researching some stuff about thyroid.  I take my BBT early am 330am.. and it is 97.0 to 97.7.  Avg is 97.3.   I was wondering if all these symptoms could also be my thyroid.

I have been adding some starches and rice in case it is my thyroid.  Matt Stone suggests eating more to normalize the thyroid.  I have been taking a good brand of kelp as well.

I also found information about placing your face in an ice cold bath for a few minutes daily to jump start the thyroid.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I did consult with Rod a bit and I am planning on having a full profile done at his suggestion.

Thanks so much and if I am not in the right thread/forum.. sorry

Also, has anyone gained weight using MCT oil/coconut cream... I've started making the smoothies Dave and his wife suggest in the "Better Baby book".

Ive been making my dandylion root tea with butter and  MCT oil, I eat good healthy grass fed butter, good fats, veggies, and grass fed meat..

Thanks so much

Sincerely, 

Kim

Hi Kim,

I am your age and have similar issues, although I am a lot further along than you in terms of menopause -- I am either "done" or in the latter phases of peri-menopause.

A really good doc in my area put me on Armour thyroid -- I am low T3 but the TSH and T4 are normal -- as well as phosphatidylserine for my adrenals (my total cortisol is normal, but my rhythms are out of whack, based on a 24 hour saliva cortisol test).  My friend is his medical receptionist -- she got me in quickly and I was pleasantly surprised to find an MD who would do this without tremendous prodding and convincing.

Anyway, in the late summer, I gained weight while I was trying out bio-identical hormones (bi-est and slow-release bio-identical progesterone) when it appeared that I might be at menopause (my body recently disproved that).  Anyway, I gained almost 10 pounds (damn it), although some seems to be muscle weight.  Now I am off the BHRT and have been for a month, my weight has stabilized, but I think I will seriously work on taking off a few pounds after the holidays.  I am a regular, if not religious, exerciser.

To make a long story short, I think women over about 40 just have sensitive bodies.  Our adrenals and thyroid become very touchy.  Weight comes on easily and comes off with difficulty.  Where calories truly don't matter for a healthy 25 year old guy (and maybe a healthy 25 year old gal, too), that might not be 100% true for you and me.  Not that we are over the hill, not that we can't stay slim, but we have to be pickier about what we put in our bodies, including the quantities.  Thanksgiving was not good to me.  Although I didn't overeat tremendously, my "gluten-free, dairy-free" pumpkin pie, which did contain raw organic honey, gave me indigestion.  Fat doesn't bother me, unless I add significant sugar and/or starch in the mix.  I also know by experience that I WILL gain weight eating lots of sugar/starch in combination with decent quantities of fat.  Even exercising.  That makes me, specifically, gain weight. That's one of my body's idiosyncrasies -- or maybe it's more common than I think.  My husband, who is in his late 40's, is not sensitive to sugar/starch and fat in combination.

Find a good doctor/Naturopath in your area and get your thyroid and adrenals tested.  Not just TSH, but T3 and T4.  After being on low-dose Armour thyroid for a month, I seem to be less temperature sensitive -- it is 70 degrees in my house and I am in a short sleeved shirt.  A year ago, I would have  needed a sweater.  It sounds like you are cold.

Experiment with your diet.  Maybe you will do better on more carbs, but if you try that, I would be careful about adding them with your fat.  If you are eating BP ice cream, you might consider the quantity you are eating as well as whether xylitol/erythritol has an impact  somehow on how you store fat.  I believe some of us might be sensitive to those type of sweeteners.   I am actually going to try going more ketogenic when I get serious about losing those stupid 10 pounds.  I luckily didn't grow out of my clothes, though some pants I have a bit tight.

Also, I have added kelp and selenium to my daily supplement regime, in addition to the phosphatidylserine.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Mary

• Ya, went for quite the RBTI ride with Matt a few years ago.  Learned some good things from that experience, aside from some really weird ideas.  I've had much better success here.  Do you have any thyroid symptoms because your temps look good?  Since you've already been LC you won't lose as fast as coming from HC diet.  I'd stick with the BP protocol because you will eventually see results.  I noticed I'm smaller even though the scales don't indicate much weight loss.  I do feel much stronger.  The longer you can keep your period happening the healthier you'll be.  Keep your fruit to a minimum, I use lots of lemon and a few berries. 

• What is the RBTI ride? I've been putting on weight ... Not via scale ( don't use one ) bit thru my clothes.. My pants are tighter .

I just found out IF is not good for women.. Not sure what other symptoms I am having that would be thyroid ...
  • Marielle,

You tend to gain weight even with exercise ..?