Ketogenic diet and metcon

I've recently switched to more of a ketogenic diet, and I've also maintained a fairly good workout regime consisting of about an hour of Muay Thai training 4-5 days a week, the occasional lift heavy stuff, or sprint session... I walk 1/2-1 hour a day at a relaxing pace, and If I do jog it's usually not more than a 5k.

A typical day of eating would be:

Breakfast: BP Coffee

or

BP coffee with colostrum and high end (bp-esque cacao powder)

or

a smoothie... coconut milk, mct, a couple raw eggs, colostrum, protien powder, herbs and magic stuff (playing with supplements to increase libido and testosterone like maca and pine pollen and fo-ti/ tonic type herbs)

Lunch: 1 lb GF chopped meat over greens and 1 avocado

Dinner: GF steak, or fish with Brussels sprouts and bacon cooked with coconut oil

I've only really focused on a ketogenic diet for a few days but I've kept the intense workouts...

I'm a bit sluggish... is this adaptation to ketosis? Will it go away? Should I be adding post workout sweet potatoes or something?

I've always been overweight (currently 6' 225 lb) with the exception of when I was eating a raw vegan diet... that diet messed my whole hormone system up.. so.. well, that's why I'm here.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• BrianHKerrBrianHKerr Quantified Biohacker
    Sounds like a lot of movement. I don't know how intense you work out, but I was super sluggish my first few days, hitting hard walls in the afternoon, sleeping 9-10 hours, feeling great in the morning, but then sluggish again the next day. I did this for two weeks, and my body kicked into another gear, it was ready for fat. You can wait till you feel the your body start using fat for fuel, or you can simply eat some sweet potatoes after your exercise, but you do not need to eat much of them!

I binged on Christmas, started back to being bullet proof and I workout, ~20 minutes, every other day doing Squats, Bench, DL, Pull-Downs.... that's it.

Since then.... well pictures speak louder than words. (Christmas, I ran 10 miles, New years, I ate a whole Cheesecake, beer, and other terrible things... so a cheat day.)

weight132012.jpg
  • BrianHKerr wrote:
    Sounds like a lot of movement. I don't know how intense you work out, but I was super sluggish my first few days, hitting hard walls in the afternoon, sleeping 9-10 hours, feeling great in the morning, but then sluggish again the next day. I did this for two weeks, and my body kicked into another gear, it was ready for fat.

Thanks for the reply man... yeah.. I think I'm going to push through this.. give it another week or two and see what happens... I was confused about a transition period vs just not having enough energy.. but I think I'm just being a bit of a wimp while my body adjusts...
  • BrianHKerrBrianHKerr Quantified Biohacker
    People will argue with me on this, but try less meat, it could be putting you into food comas... also you can do b-1 supplements morning and afternoon to avoid that energy crash.
  • dtyler21,

Yeah, hang in there. I do Crossfit a lot of the time which is obviously heavy on the Metcon side of things. Your body will adapt. Everyone's different but personally I don't like being in Ketosis for long periods of time. Currently what I am doing is staying in Ketosis all week, doing Metcon workouts will deplete your muscle Glycogen. Then at the end of the week I do a carb load. I just ate like 5 yams throughout the day. Great way to cook them is to cut them up, melt some coconut oil on top, mix in some cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and a little salt and pepper, then bake them. This will refuel your glycogen levels and will help you through the next week when you go back into ketosis. This cycling will help you lose fat again the following week if that's your main goal. If you are interested in learning more about cyclical diets for fat loss I highly recommend Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0. It's a little old, but great book. It's a quick read too, only like 80 pages: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ultimate-diet-20
    Sean Buck
    "You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great."
  • Sounds to me like carb depletion... (first impression) because of the extra exercise, so it could go away with some small carb meals (daily) on the afternoons. Here you need to measure what works for you in terms of portions and source.

You should consider having a free day from dieting once a week to carb load and eat whatever you want (including candy, desserts and whatever). It will restore the balance of oxidative/reduction your body is trying to achieve, and WILL MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER.

Also may be related to thyroid problems. Would be good to have your thyroid hormones checked. Your primary physician can order those. Having carbs once in a while is important so not to mess up thyroid stuff.....

cheers

clownfish 8-) :geek:
  • Hey dtyler:

Besides my las post, I think you would benefit greatly from a high quality enzyme supplement. I followed a fellow bulletproofer's advice (adamfiddler) and tried nature's plus ultra-zyme enzymes and with just 2 days of using it, I've noticed increased energy and performance without having to carb load that much. The trick seems to be the Enzyme suplement has ox bile salts, which would support sluggish gallbladder production of bile, along with high quality lipase and others. It will assist you in digesting the extra proportion of fats and protein.

You drink one when initially drinking your bulletproof coffee or high fat meal, and then a second one as soon as you finish. That way you support initial digestion and post-prandial digestion of the meal. It's an economical possible solution, and you can get it at most health food stores. I got it from the vitamin shoppe.

Cheers

Clownfish