Supplements For Stress/anxiety

I've been having this fidgeting/nervousness problem during Early afternoon and sometimes late night where I'm fidgity and can't stop moving. I tend to move my left arm a lot and touch the

middle of my chest to calm my self down. It's definitely worse after I drink and lack of sleep.

I'm trying to find nutritional ways to help me relax. I've started using Magnesium but it seems to

have finally lost it's effect. I recently purchase Gluathione Force and that helps a little.

My diet is mainly 40% fat 30% carbs and 30% Protein. My carbs mainyl come from rice and potato

with the occasional bread. I do work a fulltime job and go to school and get around 6-7 hours of sleepa night.

I'm looking for ways to reduce my anxiety and stress through supplements and nutrition. I've

tried some of the bulletproof principles and have had some success but looking for more towards

stress and anxiety. Thanks.

P.S. For the best thing that has worked for me so far is this tinyteatox by yourtea after 5 days I felt relaxed but it's quite expensive so any alternatives would be great.

Comments

• L-theanine seems to help, I take 400mg in the morning before work. Or you can get it straight from.... green tea! which I tend to grab in the afternoon. 

• Do you happen to know if it matters what kind or brand of green tea? I take 200mg of L-Thenine but drink 3-4 cups of green tea during the day....

• L-Theanine occurs in tea within the range of 5mg-49mg per cup. When tea is grown in the shade, L-Theanine levels tend to be higher. Black tea has the highest content.

Do you happen to know if it matters what kind or brand of green tea? I take 200mg of L-Thenine but drink 3-4 cups of green tea during the day....

It's all relative.

• GarrettGarrett
    edited December 2013

I know it's not supplements but have you considered looking into meditation, as well as yoga? Breathing exercises are great for reducing anxiety. Being present helps too. How much Mag are you taking?

What kind of exercise are you doing? Exercise is a great way to burn through anxiety and fidgeting :) 

Also, depending on where you are, it might be worthwhile to check around for a Float Tank centre nearby. They're very very good for helping to reduce stress and anxiety, on a deep level. You're floating in a tank filled with water that has 1000 lbs of Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) dissolved in it) :) Very relaxing.

Are you drinking ample enough amounts of water? Enough Sea Salt? Have you considered doing a Salt Water Flush first thing in the morning? Your adrenals may be a bit overstimulated, potentially. 

Have things in your life changed? Do you know what the source of your stress and anxiety might be? 

You might want to also consider bumping up the fat %, and lowering the protein and carbs. BP is closer to 60/20/20 or 70/15/15'ish, not 40/30/30. It might be your body still trying to get lots of its energy from carbs (since you have that at 30%, with your fat only at 40%), and not switching properly over into Ketosis, which might be causing it stress. Since it doesn't know which molecule to use as fuel (fat or carbs) (you're not feeding it ample carbs to keep it in carb burning mode, and not enough fat for it to be in Ketosis, it might be freaking out.

Choose carbs or fat. You can't safely have both as main fuel sources :)

• Evan BrandEvan Brand Writer and Explorer

Supplements for anxiety and stress work, but are band-aids to underlying problems in handling these things.

Anxiety and stress can stem from so much stuff, even the shape of your facial structure!! Stay tuned for a podcast on that..

I can give recommendations such as Rhodiola Root or a combination of L-Theanine and Phosphatidylserine, but ultimately the underlying problem needs to be addressed!

I used to promote supplements more often for treating these things short term, but lately, I've started to focus on helping people reshape their schedules (mainly quit overbooking their own life), working on a morning and evening ritual and taking epsom salt baths in clean water.

Evan Brand, NTP, CPT

Functional Medicine Practitioner and Podcast Host at NotJustPaleo.com

Author of REM Rehab and Stress Solutions

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Daily use of the emWave is good too.

• Isn't the Emwave just breathing essentially?

• How much kava kava? Is it better than Rhodiola? Maca?

Isn't the Emwave just breathing essentially?

=====

You breathe in and out in line with a pacer that keeps the breaths the same, while the device measures your heart rate variability and helps you reach a state called coherence. This has had impact in a number of studies in reducing anxiety. You do it on your own, just breathing, but you don't get any biofeedback.

• I've been diagnosed with some anxiety and my psychiatrist, who's super cool with all the BP mentality, has suggested vitamin D supplements (I don't get outside during daylight as much as I should) and making sure you get enough water from a supplementation standpoint. Not Just Paleo is right though; there's other stuff like meditation and physical activity which should do a lot more for you.

• Definitely make sure you're supplementing with Vit D. Tyleroi is spot on. Dave recommends 1000 IU's per 25 LBS of body weight. I even managed to find a Vit D supplement, liquid, which has the Vit D suspended in MCT oil. WIN!!!!

And yes, definitely make sure you're keeping adequately hydrated. If you're dehydrated, your system WILL freak out and panic. Very significant!!

• Definitely make sure you're supplementing with Vit D. Tyleroi is spot on. Dave recommends 1000 IU's per 25 LBS of body weight. I even managed to find a Vit D supplement, liquid, which has the Vit D suspended in MCT oil. WIN!!!!

And yes, definitely make sure you're keeping adequately hydrated. If you're dehydrated, your system WILL freak out and panic. Very significant!!

I see you're from Canuckland, as a fellow Canuck where'd you find the Vit D supplement in MCT oil?

• What's a good brand of L-Thenine or does it really matter?

As far as Green Tea I'm open for all options. Preferably the best quality of course.

@Garret_K, I was doing those things before and they definitely help. I've just been so busy lately but that's giong to change soon.

I'll have a good month of more free time wheere I can slowly implement these habits back into me again.n I'm using an app called

"lift" for accountability. I will be doing Crossfit as far as excercise 3x a week. I definitely need to find a Float Tank near me.

I drink plenty of water and do a dab of Pink Salt in the morning. But I haven't tried the Salt Water Flush? What is that?

I do know the source of my stress and anxiety and will be using my downtime to work on those. It'll be a big relief.

@Not Just Paleo Looking forward to that podcast about facial structure. I do have a little bigger head than most people.

What sort of regime and amount of those supplements do you reccomend? I agree they are just a band-aid but definitely help.

I want to be as bulletproof as possible.

@Dkonop92 What probiotic are you using and what brand of kava kava?

I do take a Daily Vitamin D about 5000 Uis. I weigh aruond 220 and I notice after two days of not taking it I feel a bit down.

Especially now since it's winter and there is less time spent outside.

• GarrettGarrett
    edited December 2013

tyleroi - I found a NOW brand Vit D-3 at one of the healthfood stores where I live. I was pretty jazzed when I saw it. They're 100 IU's per drop, so I just take 70 drops per day, alongside with my morning coffee. 

xJudgex - Sweet. Perhaps bumping up your D count even more. If we're going by Dave's recommendations, of 1000 IU's per 25 lbs of body weight, you'd want to be taking ~9000 IU's per day. 

Also, yoga. Yoga yoga yoga yoga yoga. And meditation. Up-tempo exercises are great, but if you want to deal with stress and anxiety, and really CHILL OUT / balance your brain to be able to examine your sources of stress and anxiety, then I can't encourage you enough to look into both yoga and meditation. Yoga will work out your body on a deep level, and strengthen your nervous system, plus balance both hemispheres of your brain. And, if you're doing yoga at a public yoga studio, you'll experience some of the... extra.. awesome benefits of yoga :D

Meditation will also help balance your brain, calm your mind, and bring you back to the present moment, through breath. It's damn powerful.

And yeah, I'm sure there is a float tank near you. :) That'll be the ultimate de-stresser!

As for the Salt Water Flush, Stevo's link puts it quite well - http://thatstevenbaker.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/how-to-do-a-salt-water-flush/ Follow his instructions. They're worthwhile.

• I strongly support the yoga and meditation recommendations. Meditation is the single most powerful thing I do, especially for anxiety I had in the distant past. It takes about 15-20 minutes of meditation for the everything to calm down mentally and physiologically. Developing a daily practice creates a certain momentum and spillover effect.

It's all relative.

• I've been saying this a lot, and I'm not sure what your sex life is like.. but consider what Dave and some others (including myself) have done / are doing - 30 days of holding off on ejaculation. I'm on day 15'ish, and I'm finding that I'm becoming a LOT calmer, more focused, able to get more stuff done. And energy.... stable energy. More perky mood, higher creativity, general well-being improvement.

Your testosterone spikes up, and balances at a higher level once you hit day 10'ish. Then things just become a lot more awesome :) Stoked to see what happens closer to day 30!! :D 

Definitely recommend it.

• Tian Chi and/or a serving of Natural Calm Magnesium work great for me. 

What's a good brand of L-Thenine or does it really matter?

=====

As long as you get Suntheanine it doesn't matter what brand.

• =====

As long as you get Suntheanine it doesn't matter what brand.

agreed. i take one capsule before my morning cup of BPC. life-changing. i reap all of the benefits of increased focus and energy without the racing heart and anxiety i had before.

i use the now foods brand suntheanine 100mg, i believe.

• I use Theanine that I bought from Liftmode (I don't work for them and have no affiliation).  It's not "Suntheanine", but that doesn't matter (I always carry around Jarrow caps, so I'd know if there was a difference).  I put 200mg my BPC just about every day.  You'll save a bunch of money using the powder.

• I use Liftmode L-Theanine as well and it definitely works.

It's all relative.

• Do you take L-Theanine first thing in the am or when you break your fast? I work out in the morning and don't usually eat until after the workout around 10am.... but feel anxious immediately upon waking..... should I take it first thing or with food?

• edited December 2013

Personally, I take it 3x per day. It's best to take L-Theanine with caffeine, if you consume caffeine, because there seems to be a synergistic effect. Indeed, that is how L-Theanine naturally occurs in tea, but in much lower levels. In general the recommendation is 200mg L-Theanine to 100mg caffeine. I take it with caffeine and without, and its one of the first things I take in the morning.

This is a really good resource talking about the studies:

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/45950-l-theanine-with-caffeine-underrated-nootropic/

It's all relative.

• Literally toss the powder in the blender with your BPC - I do 200mg, but play around until you have a good mix.

• Your body uses up a lot of magnesium when you're stressed (ie: finals week). Doubling to 2 800mg doses most def helps (I use 3x200mg bisglyc and 1x200mg citrate). Also take melatonin 1hr before bed to get deep sleep. Cheers

• I know it's not a supplement... and I've mentioned it before, but I feel it's very strongly worth mentioning (I came from a float earlier, so i'm in zen mode).

Deep Breathing. Slowing down. Using your own body as a tool, and connect with it. Yes, it's great to take supplements for stress and anxiety, but when it comes down to it, YOU have a LOT of tools readily available. Nose breathing, sitting/lying down, deep slow breaths into your stomach. When you do this, it actually gives you physiological benefits, as well as psychological benefits.

Breath. It's a powerful powerful thang. Don't underestimate retraining your own nervous system.

• Yep. Walking and deep breathing are so powerful, especially together ;)

Thanks for the reminder. I think I'll go take a walk outside later today. And speaking of walking outside... consider, if you can, going out to nature. Nature is verrrry calming. Especially if you're surrounded by electronics / city life constantly. There's a reason why parks and 'the lake' are so awesome. We're creatures of nature. Animals, essentially. Trees and plants and stuff are super good for us. Consider even getting some live plants for your home, if you don't have some already. The air exchange that they do can be very calming.

Environment can have a huge effect on your mental / physical state.

• Mg (big), zinc, sea salt

• Evan BrandEvan Brand Writer and Explorer

I just spent the day with my lady in the woods here in Austin. 

IMO, some level of stress and anxiety are caused from a nature deficiency.

Evan Brand, NTP, CPT

Functional Medicine Practitioner and Podcast Host at NotJustPaleo.com

Author of REM Rehab and Stress Solutions

• anxiety can result from an excess of glutamate in the brain. Glutamate is the dominant excitatory neurotransmitter and is a precursor of GABA which is the dominant inhibitory neurotransmitter.  The key cofactor for converting glutamate to GABA is vitamin B6. Inflammation from gliadin antibodies (gluten sensitivity) can interfere with the conversion as well. There is usually a corresponding excess of ammonia and a deficit of glutathione. Various cofactors are important to the methylation cycle.

Raising glutathione levels via the supplementation of NAC (N-acetylcisteine), vitamin C, selenium and niacinamide supplements is preferred as cisteine is the rate limiting amino acid in glutathione production - if it is deficient ammonia levels will rise. It can also cross the blood brain barrier - glutathione cannot. Epsom salts for the magnesium and sulfate also helps. Additionally supplementing with l-citrulline helps to drive the urea cycle and clear the ammonia.

Glutamate in excess is excitotoxic so reducing it's levels is essential for the long term health of the neurones.