What Brand Of Coffee Do You Buy?

Buying coffee from the Upgraded store seems like it would be very expensive. What brands of coffee do you all use regularly? I was thinking of giving someone coffee beans as a Christmas gift, but $25 (including shipping) for 3/4 lb is pretty pricey. What other high quality coffees are out there?

Tagged:

Comments

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013

Where do you live? Not much point in telling you about stuff from a coffee shop thousands of miles away where shipping will be as expensive as the upgraded stuff.

You should look to following the recommendations for non-toxic coffee that's supplied. There's already 100s of threads about 'which coffee' on this site. Try looking around.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Thanks. I did search, but since every thread contains the keyword "coffee," I didn't get very far lol.

I live in NY. Any local recommendations or something I could order online. Thanks.

• if you're in the states, portland roasting company is pretty much identical to daves, if not the same (I think)

• I do the 5lb bag of BP for Decaf.  For regular ol' caffeinated coffee, I get mine mostly from George Howell / Stumptown / Intelligencia and like to try out new roasters.  From a personal performance perspective, the George Howell coffees are consistently the cleanest.  By contrast, BP would be a bargain but I don't  feel as good on Dave's beans so no go.

• stumptown (they have an organic one from nicaragua that i like) and desert sun (guatemalan, organic)

• how do you now portland roasters carries the same farm coffees as daves? I think that they are just the roaster, but dave brings his own beans.

• I think taht fogers. It is very delicious and have a heavenly good smell.
  • Might want to consider doing the 5 lb bag, and go in on it with some people. 70 + 15'ish? in shipping = 85 / 4 = $22 bucks'ish for a pound of coffee. Then you might get some people on BPC as well, which is a win in everyone's books :)

• Ugh, a 5 lb bag of coffee seems like such a waste to me.  I like my beans freshly roasted and since I'm the only coffee drinker in the house, and only drink one 12 oz cup per day, a 5 lb bag would be stale way before I finished it!  As for the original question, I really like Tonx.  Look them up (I think it's www.tonx.org), they are a subscription based service and I get a new variety of fresh roasted beans every two weeks.  Pretty awesome.

• get a 5-lb bag, freeze what you're not using in the next week. We put ours in individual quart-sized freezer zip locks, then put all the quart size bags into a larger freezer bag so they're double bagged. When you're almost out of beans to grind, take out a quart-sized bag, leave it at room temp for 24 hours before opening, and you're done.

Only way it makes sense to buy the smaller bag is to try the beans out. Dumb to continue buying that size.

• Kim -

I have seen this posted on another thread, but there is a GREAT website for whole bean coffee at gocoffeego. Check it out! There is a roaster near Boston named Atomic Cafe Coffee Roasters. I have gotten a single origin whole bean coffee from them that was pretty good. So, I am sure you could find one you like and try it out, since they are not too far from you. What I like most about this site is you get the beans directly from the roaster. And, the beans are roasted to order! So, the beans are FRESH!! 

• so, apparently questioning the claims of Upgraded coffee on this forum is off the table, only talking about other brands is allowed I guess. I've recently tried some Solar Roast coffee from guatemala with no ill effects (a bit of a different taste but I think i prefer a lighter roast). there are some good suggestions in this thread, but anybody else wanna offer up any favorite brands of coffee that are sold in stores in the US? anyone tried Jim's Organic single origins?

also, looking at the Portland Roasters site, their single origin beans from guatemala have the exact  same flavor description as Upgraded beans, except the mention of caramel: 

this fantastic single origin begins with a fruity aroma bringing to mind cherries and apples, with just a hint of vanilla. It has a very well balanced flavor, combining a full body with sweet chocolate undertones. With a creamy finish, this coffee will leave you with a smile on your face.

I think i might give them a shot. Potentially the same quality of beans for half the price? Sounds good to me!

while i was looking for some info on Portland Roasters I came across a thread on another forum where someone said they got the guatemalan beans from Portland Roasters and they couldn't tell the difference between these beans and the Upgraded beans. Dave (I think, or someone claiming to be him) chimed in to say that they aren't the same (and emphasized that Upgraded beans are lab tested!). 

• Found this for UK:

http://www.xbrain.co.uk/bulletproof-upgraded

get all your bulletproof stuff in the UK.

Not sure if its been shared before?

E-commerce and Webdesign Agency
    www.nowaydesign.com

Email "Bulletproof" to [email protected] and get a discount now!
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014

I feel fairly convinced that I could drink gas station diesel coffee and not suffer any ill effects (except for the foul taste, of course). I would suggest that other BPers try the same; buy a few different brands of cheap coffee and make them up like you would the more expensive stuff. How do they make you feel? If they actually make you feel like crap, then that's one thing. But I think some here who complain about cheap coffee are kind of like those orthorexic folks we see all throughout the paleo community who claim the mere sight of gluten makes them have seizures. I think many in this community have an overblown fear of cheap coffee.

For the record, I intend to start roasting my own pretty soon here. There's a nice thread on this very board for that topic, for the curious.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• edited February 2014
    Dave apparently uses Portland Roasting Company to at least roast and package the upgraded coffee (and possibly to source the beans as well, he won't say). Probably worth trying them for $9.50 and comparing. Not sure about other cheaper coffees, but you can find other good coffees in the same league and general price range as upgraded: Intelligentsia, Stumptown, Counter Culture, Ceremony.
  • That thread is here: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/9428-bpc-is-unique-just-confirmed. If you look at what she said it's not inconsistent with what I wrote. She says "they roast beans for Dave, beans that Dave selected. The beans are grown and processed and roasted etc per Dave's requirements." That still could mean that Portland sources a bunch of different beans and has a bunch of different roasting methods, and Dave picks the beans and roasting methods that are most bulletproof. There's nothing wrong with that. Indeed, if we trust Dave's expertise, there is a lot of value in that.

• I buy a brand I like at my local grocery store. I feel no different than when I drank Dave's. I can buy 10lbs for the price of Dave's 5.
  • My own personal brand is my favorite. hehe

• LavAzza Espresso Premium Arabica so freaking tasty! x

Do only what you really want to do.

• My personal favorite is Phil & Sebastian, particularly this one. It's very expensive, but after finishing my first 5 lb bag of upgraded beans I think it's worth the price for the mental gains over upgraded beans. I feel like a superhero after a cup of it.

• Early on, I wanted to see if the Guatemalan Single Origin beans were the same as the Upgraded Beans. I have bought from Portland Roasting several times, and have spoken with them on the phone about their single origin Guatemalan, which even they admit, is incredibly close to Upgraded Beans but assured that there are minor differences. From my personal experience ordering from them, the Upgraded Beans seem to be a tad more smooth than the Portland Roasting single origin Guatemalan, but the taste is incredibly close. Both beans are just superb with stellar results in how you feel. For $9.50 a bag, you really owe it to yourself to try them. I don't feel any noticeable difference between the Upgraded Beans and the Portland Roasting. Since I like Dave's MCT Oil better than any other I've tried, I just buy the kit, so that includes the Upgraded Beans.

My favorite blend from Portland Roasting is the Costa Rican single origin. Just fantastic and I will continue to buy from time-to-time for a different taste.

I do not complain about the cost of Dave's beans, because as he has stated many times, the cost really isn't that much more than what a pound of Starbucks will run the consumer and the quality is second to none.

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014

funny coincidence, i ordered the guatemalan beans and the costa rican beans, so i'm glad to hear that you specifically found those to be really good. they'd be here today if it weren't for damn presidents day. i'm looking forward to trying them, i've been really enjoying Upgraded coffee for quite a while now, but if I could find something comparable at  a lower price I'd totally go for it. i've been trying out some Solar Roast coffee for the past couple weeks, which didn't taste bad but their medium roast is apparently a lot darker than any other medium roast and the beans are oily. i don't know if its a coincidence but i've had some sinus issues the past couple days. MAYBE an accumulated effect of bad coffee? or maybe just the change of the seasons, cause i've heard a few other folks complain about colds the past few days as well. 

• funny coincidence, i ordered the guatemalan beans and the costa rican beans, so i'm glad to hear that you specifically found those to be really good. they'd be here today if it weren't for damn presidents day. i'm looking forward to trying them, i've been really enjoying Upgraded coffee for quite a while now, but if I could find something comparable at  a lower price I'd totally go for it. i've been trying out some Solar Roast coffee for the past couple weeks, which didn't taste bad but their medium roast is apparently a lot darker than any other medium roast and the beans are oily. i don't know if its a coincidence but i've had some sinus issues the past couple days. MAYBE an accumulated effect of bad coffee? or maybe just the change of the seasons, cause i've heard a few other folks complain about colds the past few days as well. 

Ha! Well, tell me what you think of both. I absolutely love the Costa Rican beans. I'll be interested to see if you can tell an appreciable difference between the Upgraded beans vs. the Guatemalan beans. 

To your sinus issues, it could be a lot of different factors. If it persists, then I would be more willing to blame the beans than I would it being just a temporary bout with allergies or a cold.

• been using my portland roaster beans the past couple days. i had the guatemalan yesterday and the costa rican today, both super delicious. i'm not exactly a coffee connesuir  but might be slowly becoming one trying to notice the subtle differences in the flavor of these beans. its funny, i DO notice the subtle hint of pipe tobacco and graham crackers in the costa rican beans, and the guatemalan does taste a little more fruity. the hard part is not drinking an unnecessary amount of coffee just cause its so tasty. i think it'd be interesting to do some blind taste tests with the portland roaster guatemalan beans and the Upgraded ones to see how much of a difference there is. i'm all loaded up on coffee now though and not lookin to buy any more for a while. 

• Have you felt any difference in your brain clarity and performance? Obviously I want the best tasting coffee, but we do Bulletproof for the performance results. Just curious. :-)

• not that i've noticed. yesterday i did maybe feel a little overly amped up but i drank more than usual ...too excited to try the new beans i guess. 

• Drumminangoleiro, do you taste or feel any difference between the Guatemalan coffee from Portland Roasting Company and upgraded? I've heard people suggest they are the exact same beans.

• edited February 2014
    BP for this cowboy.

Creme de la creme.

5lbs bag gets me 8-10 weeks.

Now that they have the shipping under control I have no problem paying extra for the best.

Used to drink Kirkland coffee before.

I can not believe how rancid that stuff smells now that I know what fresh clean coffee smells like.

Holy shit I'm awesome.

• It's hard to say, I ran out of upgraded before my Portland roaster beans arrived, so I can't do a blind test. They may have the edge on upgraded as far as taste, but i might just be paying more attention now that I'm comparing stuff. Good energy so far, no headaches, jitteriness, cravings, or anything like that that I've noticed.