Using Adaptogens For Cognitive Stress

IQ boosting techniques like playing chess, doing Image Streaming (based on Einstein Factor by Dr Win Wenger) or Dual N Back (devised by Dr Susanne Jaeggi) stress the brain in order to improve it upon recovery.

As a result, anyone can only do the above IQ methods so much in a given time daily (under an hour) before the brain tires or stressed out. Then, brain recovery happens for the rest of the day before continuing the next day up to an hour.

Otherwise, brain development will regress beyond the brain stress limit. This sort of iQ boosting activity occurs over a period of time in months up to a year even. Therefore, diligence and patience seem to be the requirements. I discovered about adaptogens that can act as nootropics and handle stress faster.

My question is...

Is it possible to really stress the brain so much in doing prolonged periods of IQ boosting activity daily while on adaptogens to accelerate the brain development process (up to genius perhaps) in days or weeks?

For example, doing Image Streaming or Dual N Back for hours in a day till too much cognitive stress sets in (that may impede IQ boost) where taking adaptogens may help to prevent the regression and initiate brain stress recovery quickly.

Certainly appreciate any opinions on it or results encountered if tried. .

Comments

• My hypothesis is that they would boost your stress threshold, but you'd still want to balance what you're doing to your brain. Rest is good. :)

• Read this article at http://lifestyle.sulekha.com/raise-your-stress-threshold_591719_blog about improving stress threshold. Hence, I assume increasing stress threshold can raise the length of time in doing any IQ activity. However, that means more recovery time is needed as well. I conclude that a required time span facilitates brain development so shorter time may not be possible. Stress and recovery periods need to balance each other.
  • Evan BrandEvan Brand Writer and Explorer

Rhodiola Rosea would be my preferred herb for this application

Evan Brand, NTP, CPT

Functional Medicine Practitioner and Podcast Host at NotJustPaleo.com

Author of REM Rehab and Stress Solutions

• I, too, am a fan of Rhodiola.  I feel like I get a little energy/mood boost from this herb, so I take it daily in the morning.  I also have tried Ashwaganda, but this adaptogen didn't do much for me, at least that I noticed.

Mary

• Both Ashwaghanda and Rhodiola give me a feeling that I can't really describe but I feel a pull in my stomach, almost coercing me to breathe.  I definitely feel relaxed when I'm on them.  On occasion, I'll also get that same feeling after heavy exercise.  I also stack Phenylpiracetam with Ashwaghanda when I have to present at an important meeting. 

• SindreSindre

I use a pretty extensive cocktail of adaptogens, and it's such a major upgrade to my cognition and productivity the only thing that's more important in my regime is sleep and exercise.

I have a friend who is an alchemist, he makes elexirs for me from wildcrafted adaptogens to suit my specific needs.

I highly recommend someone who's specialized in adaptogens as most of what you buy in the stores is total crap in comparison to the real deal. It's like cornfed beef with white bread vs grass-fed beef with grass-fed butter. Really.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014

I have a friend who is an alchemist, he makes elexirs for me from wildcrafted adaptogens to suit my specific needs.

This sounds hilarious and badass. How would you introduce such a guy to your other friends? "Hey, this is my buddy, the alchemist. He transmutes stuff and basically wanders the wilderness in search of raw materials for his esoteric tinctures. When he's not making blood sacrifices in an effort to appease demons with unpronounceable names or communicating with wildlife, he can usually be found chilling in his rustic domicile at the base of Mt. Doom. Guy tells some great jokes, too. Hey, man, why don't you tell them the one about the lawyer and the high priest Cthulhu who waits dreaming in his house at R'lyeh?"

But yeah. Adaptogens. I like 'em.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• SindreSindre

Have you been spying on me man?

That's exactly how i introduce him. Although i add that they probably should not work with him and warn them to keep their distance. For safety reasons.

This sounds hilarious and badass. How would you introduce such a guy to your other friends? "Hey, this is my buddy, the alchemist. He transmutes stuff and basically wanders the wilderness in search of raw materials for his esoteric tinctures. When he's not making blood sacrifices in an effort to appease demons with unpronounceable names or communicating with wildlife, he can usually be found chilling in his rustic domicile at the base of Mt. Doom. Guy tells some great jokes, too. Hey, man, why don't you tell them the one about the lawyer and the high priest Cthulhu who waits dreaming in his house at R'lyeh?"

• One of my good friends out on the west coast of Canada is like that ;) Spot on!

• I use adaptogens, but you need to look out for harmful fillers.

Don't get the cheap ones, your body will thank you

• SindreSindre

yeah, fillers, no thanks to that..

I want to know where it was picked and prepared by a guy who knows how to be around this process of making adaptogenic tonics. Taoist herbalism man, and it works so well once the stuff is really high quality (harsh climate wildcrafted) and extracted properly it's like magic for crativity, flow and regeneration. I also feel that after using it everyday for 3 months, even with a 2 month break, the effects were sustained, until i played a little too hard a weekend and i dropped more back to baseline.

But, I'm back on for another round with some tweaks and upgrades and the second step of his program for guys. 

There is a reason ancient yogic texts mentions herbs as a way to enlightenment, (Although it also mentions that it's inferior to breath yoga for example)