What To Ask My Doctor

Hey folks, 

I am on my first official day of BPD (doing IF). I have been researching and trying things for about a week, but not perfect enough to call it official. I weigh just over 300 lbs and am hoping to lose weight through BPD, focusing highly on toxin reduction.

I see a lot of people (esp women) having little success with weight loss because of hormonal issues, thyroid problems, and other medical conditions. I have not seen a doctor for quite some time, and I want to go in prepared to ask all the right questions and discuss all the right tests. 

So far in my notes, I've got that I should ask my doctor about:

-Hormonal Imbalances - Potentially getting tested for low thyroid and testosterone, high estrogen

-Severe micronutrient deficiencies

-Extreme toxin accumulation

-Glutathione depletion

-Allergies

Can you recommend anything else that could help me identify issues that could affect my weight loss success with BPD? Thanks so much. -Laura

"Most women in our culture, then, are disordered when it comes to issues of self-worth, self-entitlement, self-nourishment, and comfort with their own bodies; eating disorders, far from being ‘bizarre’ and anomalous, are utterly continuous with a dominant element of the experience of being female in this culture."— Susan Bordo 

Comments

• I have added these to the list of things at least worth discussing. I don't quite have the funds to just go around getting tests. 

-A helio-bacter test (where you breathe into a bag and they test for the bacteria that you have)

-A test for H pylori via stool test. If negative, a full GI panel to see about parasites or candida etc..

-DNA

Anyone learn about themselves from another type of test?

"Most women in our culture, then, are disordered when it comes to issues of self-worth, self-entitlement, self-nourishment, and comfort with their own bodies; eating disorders, far from being ‘bizarre’ and anomalous, are utterly continuous with a dominant element of the experience of being female in this culture."— Susan Bordo 

• Congrats on deciding to make a change and reclaim your health. It isn't always easy but it will be worth it.

Depending on the type of doc you are seeing and your insurance/willingness to pay for testing you may leave the doctor feeling disappointed. Most docs have 7 minutes to make sure you don't have a terminal illness and off you go.

You will most likely have a better experience if you explain that you are committed to healthy weight loss and lifestyle change (whatever that means to them), but you want to make sure you are healthy enough to embark on such a program.

Bring a list of symptoms, previous meds or medical issues and they can help point you in the right direction.

At best you can probably get blood pressure, standard lipid panel, vit d, thyroid, possibly some of the sex hormones, liver, kidney and electrolytes.

Even if you did have some of the other "wacky" stuff running amuck it's possible that it fixes itself as you approach a healthier size.

I don't want to wish you luck, because you can do this if you want. No luck involved!
  • I am lucky enough that I don't have too many symptoms other than dry skin (which might point to microfauna or autoimmune). I think I am just kind of assuming that I could run into trouble since there seem to be many more men's success stories on this site than women's (apart from fertility results). 

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice. So far I feel really good on this diet/lifestyle so that is a good sign. Well, except heartburn from so much oil but i am trying to counter it with ginger and vinegar. 

I love eating really high quality beef, fish and eggs.