Self Help Tests You Can Do At Home.

NickatNickat
edited December 2013 in General Discussion

If anyone knows of any self help tests that can be done at home, please post here.

Thought it might be a start to document easy self help tests in one place.

e.g.

In Dr. Wilson's book, Adrenal Fatigue , he lists 3 tests you can do at home to help determine if you have Adrenal Fatigue. This might be helpful for those who can't afford a Cortisol test.

Test #1: Iris Contraction Test

Equipment required: chair, small flashlight, mirror, a watch (with a second hand), and a dark room.

In a darkened room, sit in a chair in front of a mirror. Holding the flashlight at the side of your head, shine it across one eye (not into the eye). Watch what happens in the mirror.

You should see your pupil contract immediately after the light hits the eye. The pupil will normally stay contracted, but if you have adrenal fatigue, the pupil won't be able to hold its contraction and will dilate. This dilation will take place within 2 minutes and last for about 30-45 seconds before it contracts again. Time how long the dilation lasts and record it along with the date.

Retest monthly as it serves as an indicator of recovery.

Test #2: Blood Pressure Test

If your blood pressure drops when you stand up from a lying position, this almost always indicates low adrenals. This can be measured with a blood pressure gauge (a sphygmomanometer), which you can buy at a drug store. Make sure to purchase the type that doesn't require a stethoscope to take your blood pressure.

Make sure to do this test when you are well hydrated or it could give you a false positive. Lie down quietly for about 10 minutes, then take your blood pressure (while still lying down). Then stand up and measure your blood pressure immediately upon standing. Normally blood pressure will rise 10-20mmHg from standing up. If your blood pressure drops, you likely have adrenal fatigue. The more severe the drop, the more severe the adrenal fatigue.

Test #3: Sergent's White Line

This is only present in about 40% of people with Adrenal Fatigue, but if the test is positive, it's a "slam dunk" confirmation.

With a ballpoint pen, take the cap end of the pen and lightly stroke the skin on your abdomen, making a mark about 6" long. Within a few seconds, a line should appear. In a normal reaction, the mark is initially white, but reddens within a few seconds. If you have Adrenal Fatigue, the line will stay white for about 2 minutes and will also widen.

Tagged:

Comments

• NickatNickat
    edited December 2013

Vitamins D, B12, B6 and vitamin A indication tests.

Sternum Thumb Test

This will indicate if you are getting enough vitamin D. This vitamin is crucial when it comes to activating your immune system. It helps to keep the “guards” of your immune system alert. Vitamin D is also important for bone and muscle health.

All you need for this test is your thumb. Take your thumb and press it against your breastbone, which is your sternum. You can also press on your shinbone as an alternative. If it feels tender or if it hurts when you press down, you may have a vitamin D deficiency. Though there are many dietary sources of vitamin D, it has been estimated that 90% or more of our required vitamin D comes from exposure to sunlight.

Balance Test

This will indicate if you are getting enough vitamin B12. Having low levels will not only compromise your immunity but also lower your energy levels, potentially making you feel depressed. Low levels of B12 also alter your ability to think clearly.

Stand up. Put your feet together with your hands on your sides. Then, close your eyes and stick out one of your legs in front of you, and try to hold it for three seconds. You may want to do this near a wall or near a loved one for support if you need it.

If you start to lose your balance, it could mean you’re low on vitamin B12, though there are many reasons for this.

Mouth Sore Test

This will indicate if you are getting enough vitamin B6. This important nutrient also strengthens your immune system. Not having enough B6 can cause confusion, depression, irritability and mouth/tongue sores. Low levels of vitamin B6 have been linked to chronic inflammation in the body. At home, check your mouth in a mirror. Start with the outside of your mouth and look around its edges for signs of cracking. Then, open your mouth wide and look for any sores. Don’t forget to look under your tongue. You may need to the help of a flashlight. If you notice any sores, it could mean that you aren’t getting enough vitamin B6.

Skin Test

This will indicate if you are getting enough vitamin A. This important vitamin helps your body form and maintain healthy skin, teeth and bones. It also helps your immune system stop and kill germs as soon as they come in contact with your body.

This test will require you to do a full-body examination. Look for dry spots around your body. You should especially check for dry, rough and cracked skin, brittle hair, and peeling or splitting nails.

If you find any of those, you may have a deficiency in vitamin A.

• Low Stomach Acid Test (Betaine HCL Test for a healthy immune system)

Replace the lost stomach acid until you figure out the root cause. 

One of the most common methods of supplementing for low stomach acid is using Betaine Hydrochloride (HCL).

You must find the right dosage for you situation.  If you fail to do the trial and error you’re wasting your time and money.

1. Eat a meal that contains at least 15-20grams of protein (about 4-6ounces of meat).
    2. Start by taking 1 pill (650mg of less) of Betaine HCL during the beginning of the meal
    3. Finish the meal as normal and observe your body for any changes in feeling associated with the stomach and belly button area.  Things to look for: heaviness, hotness, burning, or other GI distress.
    4. Stay at this dosage of 1 pill for another day of meals with protein and if you don’t notice anything on the 3rd day, try 2 pills.
    5. Stay there for another day and then try 3 pills.
    6. Keep increasing the number of pills taken with each meal until you notice some GI discomfort described in step #3.
    7. When this happens, you will know your ideal Betaine HCL dosage is 1 pill less.  For example, if you felt the discomfort going from 5 pills to 6 pills, then 5 pills is your proper dosage for a normal meal.

A couple points to clarify:

If you eat a snack or a meal without much protein, you won’t need as much Betaine HCL (for a small snack like a piece of fruit you won’t need any at all)

When you experience the GI discomfort finding your correct dosage, you can mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda in 8oz of water and drink it to help lessen the pain.

• The Coca Pulse Test (Food allergy or food sensitivity test)

Get a small piece of the food that you want to check and sit at a table.

Rest for a few minutes to allow your pulse rate to drop. Then check your pulse. Once you have your resting pulse rate, put the piece of food on your tongue (only one type of food at a time) and keep it there for at least 30 seconds before you check your pulse rate again for a full minute with the food staying on your tongue the entire time.

If your pulse increases 4 or more beats per minute (3 if you have type O blood), the food is causing a stress response because it is an irritant to you. Don’t swallow that food!

You can repeat this test with another food once your pulse has returned to its resting rate.

This method cannot determine if you have a food allergy or just a food sensitivity. But, that doesn’t matter. Every food that increases your pulse rate is potentially contributing to your health conditions. Avoid each of the foods that cause a reaction for one month and then test it again. If it still raises your pulse, avoid it for another month and test it again. If it raises your pulse three months in a row, avoid it forever.

Once a food that gave you a reaction no longer increases your pulse, you can add it back into your diet on a limited basis. However, be sure to test it again after a month. If it increases your pulse rate again, you’ve added too much of it back into your diet. Avoid it for another month and retest again. Each time you retest, add less back into your diet. Repeat the testing/avoiding process until it no longer increases your pulse. Be sure to retest it on a regular basis once you think you have discovered the minimum amount you can eat.

• That's what Dave's Iphone app does for you? right?

• NickatNickat
    edited December 2013

It sure is Megs.

Here`s a link for anyone that wants to read more about Dave and this method:

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/find-your-kryptonite-with-the-free-bulletproof-food-sense-iphone-app/

There is a free app download link on his page too.

• A bit concerned. I've just done the Iris contraction test and as soon as my pupil contracts it dilates immediately after and then goes back and forth from contracted to dilated in very quick succession. What does this mean?

I was diagnosed with yeast and bacterial overgrowth along with "leaky gut". I have had an adrenal stress profile from Genova Diagnostics and that came back normal. 

I have been trying to heal my gut for over 2 years with absolutely no progress whatsover and am intolerant to all vegetables, so I believe this emphasises there still is a stone unturned causing the lack of progress. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• A bit concerned. I've just done the Iris contraction test and as soon as my pupil contracts it dilates immediately after and then goes back and forth from contracted to dilated in very quick succession. What does this mean?

I was diagnosed with yeast and bacterial overgrowth along with "leaky gut". I have had an adrenal stress profile from Genova Diagnostics and that came back normal. 

I have been trying to heal my gut for over 2 years with absolutely no progress whatsover and am intolerant to all vegetables, so I believe this emphasises there still is a stone unturned causing the lack of progress. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you following BP protocol?   Add some resistant starch to each meal.  Make sure you are getting enough GF butter.  Stay away from any foods containing carrageenan because of its destructive nature.  I had adrenal issues that were rectified once my thyroid problems were addressed.  After 6 months of BPing I've been able to reduce my thyroid glandular slightly as well. 

• NickatNickat
    edited December 2013

If anyone knows of any self help tests that can be done at home, please post here.

Disappearing Iodine Test.

The "test" of putting iodine on the skin to watch how fast it disappears is not an indicator of anything. The iodine disappearance rate is unrelated to thyroid disease or even iodine content of the body.(1-2) Meticulous research by Nyiri and Jannitti in 1932 showed clearly when iodine is applied to the skin in almost any form, 50% evaporates into the air within 2 hours and between 75 and 80 percent evaporates into the air within 24 hours. (1) A total of 88 percent evaporates within 3 days and it is at this point that the evaporation stops. The remaining 12 percent that is absorbed into the skin has several fates. Only 1-4% of the total iodine applied to the skin is absorbed into the blood stream within the first few hours. The rest of the iodine within the skin (8-11%) is slowly released from the skin into the blood stream.

re: http://thyroid.about.com/library/derry/bl2a.htm

• Anyone have experience with home testing of glucose/insulin please post here.

• Are you following BP protocol?   Add some resistant starch to each meal.  Make sure you are getting enough GF butter.  Stay away from any foods containing carrageenan because of its destructive nature.  I had adrenal issues that were rectified once my thyroid problems were addressed.  After 6 months of BPing I've been able to reduce my thyroid glandular slightly as well. 

Interesting, no I'm not doing the BP protocol atm. When you have an overgrowth of bacteria and candida you don't want to be feeding the pathogenic bacteria. I've read that if you have SIBO or Yeast issues using resistant starch will only make it worse, right?

• When I stick my tongue out it twitches at 2-3 times a second. Definitely feels like something isn't right. 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

When I stick my tongue out it twitches at 2-3 times a second. Definitely feels like something isn't right. 

I think this is normal, it would be a problem if it was twitching when you didn't stick it out.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Morning guys,

Here's a great assessment to check their dominances in the brain? 

I found this on a previous thread mentioned by brainstorm11.. Shout out!!

http://advancedpsych...verman.test.pdf

Apparently I'm Serotonin Dominant (which explains me to a tee) I read through them all to avoid the Barnum effect of them all being exactly me!

I have slight deficiency in Gaba and Acetyl-choline.. There are a list of supplements that you could take to address the deficiencies. 

I did this to find out if I should take Choline and Aniracetam, looks like I can!

Interesting quantified brain quiz.

\m/(>.<)\m/ www.trucke.co.uk - my rockband!! \m/(>.<)\m/

• If you are taking creatine (like me) and a whole bunch of vits (like me) and eating your grass fed fats and meats (like me) and now and again you like a social drink (like me) you may be interested to know how your kidneys are working.  So I bought some Urine dipsticks for about £5 and went here to learn how to analyse my results

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0010405/

You can find a whole host of info.. Ketones, PH (ref daves recent podcast), and stress on organs.. Worth a look, I was getting a pain in my back so this put my worries to rest.  It was actually from lifting my bands bassbins.. Ouch! 

• Would anyone know how to simulate a heart stress test without going to the docs, to check cardiac response etc..?

• NickatNickat
    edited December 2014

SAGE is a brief self-administered cognitive screening test used to identify Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) and early dementia.

(Average time to complete the test is 10 to 15 minutes).

A few examples can be found here: http://wexnermedical.osu.edu/patient-care/healthcare-services/brain-spine-neuro/memory-disorders/sage

Your help with posting self help tests always welcome. Your experiences are also valued.