L-Tyrosine Vs N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine

Hey gang.  Has anyone experienced a difference between using L-Tyrosine and N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine?

Comments

• Depends on what you are looking to do, right?  In general, you're better off with NALT because it requires an extra step before it is converted to Tyrosine so your body is more able to properly regulate the serotonin production.  

• Thanks for your comment, pizzabagel.  I'm eagerly following your CILTEP adventures in another thread. 

I'm confused by your reference to serotonin production.  Isn't Tyrosine a precursor to dopamine and norepinephrine?  How would serotonin production factor in?

• My bad - I meant dopamine.  I was thinking tryptophan for some reason when I wrote the post.

• I've tried NALT 350mg once, and didn't notice any effect, whereas regular L-Tyrosine 500mg seems to have a minor effect.  Would the dosage difference explain this, or is something else at work?

• As mentioned above tyrosine is a dopamine precursor and it does break down quicker than the n-acetyl version.

NALT is longer lasting but if used for more than a few days will reduce the dopamine in your body.

Depends really on how many days your using it. It`s been some time now since your post so what did you notice?

• As mentioned above tyrosine is a dopamine precursor and it does break down quicker than the n-acetyl version.

NALT is longer lasting but if used for more than a few days will reduce the dopamine in your body.

Depends really on how many days your using it. It`s been some time now since your post so what did you notice?

Thanks for your post, Nickat.  Tyrosine seems to have a subtly positive effect on me at a 500mg dose.  I tried NALT only once, and noticed no effect.  That is about as far from a controlled experiment as one can get, but I wasn't motivated to try NALT again.  Now that I'm hearing from you that using NALT for more than a few days will *reduce* dopamine in your body, I am even less interested in pursuing that line of personal experimentation.

• NickatNickat
    edited January 2014
    Not 100% sure why your taking Tyrosine.....but have you noticed taking it early in the morning on an empty stomach is so much better in terms of alertness/mood? Taken with food or even the BP coffee seems to make it less effective. Personally taking it with iodine (small dosage nothing excessive) and selenium as it helps with my under active thyroid. Somehow it changes my body temperature (elevates it) and have read it helps with adrenal and pituitary function which is a bonus. Eating foods high in Omega-3 fatty acids such as fish and avoiding alcohol has aided the ability of L-Tyrosine and lessen the hypothyroidism further for sure. Supplementing with Vitamin C as an antioxidant could help too but nothing verified. There are plenty of warnings about what not to take at the same time as some meds so beware. No meds here so okay. The fact that foods can alter dosage in the body with additional supplementation should not be overlooked. 1000mg works well but you should regulate that with a doctor if at all possible. The 1000mg taken is once a day but you can take that amount or less three times a day if needed. If your taking it as a hunger suppressant not sure that works very well at all even if it says it does. The fat in the BP coffee works better. Lastly if your taking it as some brain hacking exercise, really would n`t bother.
  • Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Nickat.  I'm taking the Tyrosine on an empty stomach first thing in the morning as part of a general enhancement stack, and I do everything else you mentioned except drink BP coffee.  I'm actually not taking the Tyrosine at the moment, but that is a temporary pause while I tinker with L-Phenylalanine and some other variables.

• Metabolizing in the liver with L-Phenylalanine, not tried that. Let me know how you go please.

Haven`t got round to that one yet.

• N-acetyl is more bioavailable, this video goes more in depth though... 

[media]http://youtu.be/PmKR_kKn_k0[/media]

• I'm wondering how tyrosine and dopamine production effects serotonin. Anybody?

• This is an old post, but I was searching on tyrosine to find the difference between L and N-acetyl. I've been taking L for a long time, 1500 mg at a time. For me, my CBS A360A SNP is ++, causing a glitch in the dopamine part of the methylation pathway. I found long before I did 23and me (and got this info) that for some reason L tyrosine worked wonders for me. It erased my depression, and it also fixed my faint-on-stage level of stage fright that ruined a potential career as a musician on stage. I take 1500 mg in the am empty stomach, am pretty much good for the day, but if I have a performance I take 1500 mg about 30 minutes beforehand and am good for the performance, with only "normal nerves" rather than literally starting to pass out. This works better than any pharmaceutcal I ever tried, which all seem to want to raise serotonin. The tricyclics send me into mania, the SSRIs cause panic attacks.....and welburtrin had the most miniscule of effects. Welbuttin, AFAIK, acts to raise dopamine. Tyrosine is cheaper, a natural substance, OTC, and I'm in total control of how much and when I need it. People who do not have dopamine pathway problems who have tried tyrosine for stage fright, got the opposite reaction from mine, so don't take this as medical advice. It is pure anecdote.