Saturated Fat/bp Diet Has Delayed Or Stopped Menopause?

2»

Comments

• Update:

I've had four cycles in the first 7 months of this year. I just got some test results back from my NP. Not a 24 hour urine hormone test (which would have been ideal, but kind of expensive and not covered by insurance), but rather a blood test, which only measures one point in time. My estrogen is very low, even for a post-menopausal woman -- < 5 pg/mL (estradiol) and my FSH is quite high -- 20.7 mIU/mL (also, post-menopausal level). Why I've even had cycles this year is kind of amazing.

I'm going to hang onto my reproductive years as long as I possibly can. I've already made it 5 years longer than my mother did. Let's see if my body can keep this up until age 47!

Mary

• edited October 2014

Has anyone had any success in reducing or eliminating peri-menopause symptoms of night sweats and recently the commencement of hot flushes with the BP diet??

I have recently hit this stage and it has been overwhelmingly difficult to manage. I'm 53 and have always been fit, lean and a  fish eating lacto vegetarian. I am commencing the Bulletproof coffee regimen as soon as my coffee arrives!! BUT NEED HELP with this. I'm finding it extremely debilitating and have been trying to manage it without bioidentical hormones or HRT, simply eating well, exercising well and sleeping well. This has worked up until now!! Any advice gratefully welcomed!!  Cheers Karen

• edited October 2014

*gratefully (sorry, jet-lagged as well!!)

• Hi Karen,

The first thing that comes to mind is inflammation as a promoter of or contributor to pms and perimenopause symptoms. I would first look for food sensitivities, either by using an elimination diet or a food sensitivity test (a naturopath or functional medicine doc will usually do this). You mentioned being a lacto-vegetarian, but dairy tends to be highly inflammatory. It's not clear from your post what else you eat, e.g., wheat, nightshade vegetables, lots of fruit vs. little fruit, etc. Anyway, if you can get low-grade inflammation in your body taken care of, and get your immune and inflammatory responses down, symptoms like hot flashes, headaches, fluid retention, etc. might be resolved.

The second thing I would look at is your blood sugar and insulin regulation. Raging insulin and fluctuating blood sugar levels contribute to other hormone imbalances, which you don't need right now. Again, I can't surmise what you eat exactly, but sometimes "vegetarian" is synonymous with "carb-atarian" or "starch-itarian" (don't take this as judgment, as I don't know what you eat and some people tolerate carbs very well). Though you did say you eat fish (I'm a big seafood eater myself). If you are eating a lot of starch and fruit or foods with sugar, you might look at moderating your carb intake. Everyone seems to have their own "magic" carbohydrate level that their bodies need and it's different depending on one's state of health. This is from Mark Sisson's blog about the "carbohydrate curve". At minimum, look at limiting sugar intake, including fruit.

In terms of hormones, that's also individual. I personally do terribly on hormones and don't really need them. At 46, I'm still peri-menopausal and hanging on as long as I can. My body makes almost no estrogen, but I still manage to have some cycles. Very few menopause symptoms for me. I don't have any great supplement recommendations, but I would avoid soy, even though it's promoted sometimes for alleviating menopause symptoms. Maybe a high-quality omega 3 oil and something like curcumin/turmeric.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you!

Mary

• Thanks Mary. I have been low carb for a while and also recently reduced all sugars, including fruit. No gluten or soy either. While I still have irregular cycles, it doesn't seem fair to have periods and hot flushes at the same time!!! I really appreciate your kind input and I will do some further investigations with the help of a Functional medicine practitioner. I feel that perhaps inflammation is the key and may need to research this further. Many thanks for your input.

kind regards from Western Australia

Karen

• I know this thread is quiet, but I had to add a comment.  I'm 54--thought I was done, or at least near the end.  Spot now and then, especially with stress, but otherwise no real periods for a couple of years. I've been doing BP for about 7 weeks, and having a bit of trouble going really high fat, but I think at least 50% of calories most days.  Well, last Wednesday I had a pretty heavy butter and fat day--Loblaws had their duck liver pate (top 2 ingredients: duck liver, duck fat) on special and I didn't resist and ate it all (maybe about 3-4 oz) that day! I felt pretty good--kind of blissed out on butter and fat! Had a fair bit of butter the next day,and some organic raw milk hard cheese, too.  Well, believe it or not, I had a full period this past weekend!! :eek:   Wild!  Not sure if it's good news--being done is not such a bad idea at my age, but having a period at this stage certainly supports the idea that a diet high in quality fats supports the reproductive system. Just had to tell someone!

• I know this thread is quiet, but I had to add a comment.  I'm 54--thought I was done, or at least near the end.  Spot now and then, especially with stress, but otherwise no real periods for a couple of years. I've been doing BP for about 7 weeks, and having a bit of trouble going really high fat, but I think at least 50% of calories most days.  Well, last Wednesday I had a pretty heavy butter and fat day--Loblaws had their duck liver pate (top 2 ingredients: duck liver, duck fat) on special and I didn't resist and ate it all (maybe about 3-4 oz) that day! I felt pretty good--kind of blissed out on butter and fat! Had a fair bit of butter the next day,and some organic raw milk hard cheese, too.  Well, believe it or not, I had a full period this past weekend!! :eek:   Wild!  Not sure if it's good news--being done is not such a bad idea at my age, but having a period at this stage certainly supports the idea that a diet high in quality fats supports the reproductive system. Just had to tell someone!

Wow, this is really cool!

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER&#33;

I, too, am menopausal - I'm 54 and had a partial hysterectomy at 47 (I still have my ovaries).  Not long after my hysterectomy, I had HORRIBLE night sweats - I was waking up anywhere from 50-75 times a night to remove covers, then I'd fall back asleep, get cold, wake up, put the covers back on - and off, and on.

I was also in the middle of a huge project at work - 12-14 hour days - 5 and 6 days a week.  I told my GYN that I had to have some relief.  All the research I had done said that if you must have HRT, take the smallest dose for the shortest amount of time.  I needed it for 6 months, and promised my Dr that I'd quit after that.  My project would be over, and I could live with crappy sleep.  I took it for 6 months and slept like a baby !  Project successful, off the meds. 

Since then, I've had moderate, intermittent hot flashes and night sweats, but they have noticeably diminished since I began BP on Dec 7th, 2014. If I get them, they are half of what they had been, so this diet does something to our hormones.  From the posts and my own experience, it seems like a reset of sorts.  Maybe the low carb/low calorie thing sent our systems out of whack, and BP is restoring them to normal levels again.  Just a thought!

•  

Maybe the low carb/low calorie thing sent our systems out of whack, and BP is restoring them to normal levels again.  Just a thought!

I'll second that notion.  I am convinced that the low calorie (800-1000), low carb, high protein plan (called Ideal Protein) I was on in 2010-11, has caused me to have all kinds of problems, from major brain fog to chronic (almost daily) migraines.  I know I tried to keep on that plan for far too long, so perhaps not the fault of the plan if followed for short periods. I have so much extra weight (>200lbs), that the lure was very great.  I lost about 75lbs, but of course it all came back, so that by 2014 I was back where I started and still there. Things are much better with BP, fewer headaches (only 1 this week), and less brain fog.  I'm not convinced that BP is the right weight loss/fat loss protocol for me, but it certainly feels good to be feeding my brain and hormone systems for a change!