"exercise" And Eating On Bpd

Hi,

I'm a recent BulletProof convert, with a long and varied history of eating problems, body image problems, and even hormonal problems because of it (as I'm sure a lot of women have).

To put myself in context, I'm 34 years old and just shy of 5'7" and last time I weighed myself a week ago was at 123 lbs. I was 116 lbs two summers ago, albeit I was basically starving myself. I feel happiest with my body around 120 lbs and I have a mediterranean shape (I'm Italian).  I know that if I want to get that 120 I have to eat less, but I realize that eating less isn't healthy and I'm a miserable person when I'm not eating enough, not to mention I have crazy carb cravings. 

Last October after gaining a bunch of weight (128 lbs) I freaked and went Paleo and reduced calories and also found BP resources and achieved 121 lbs within 2 weeks. Since committing to bulletproof coffee (fats scare me) I'm at this more round shape and I have all this soft tissue that I am beginning to mentally/psychologically accept.   

So here's my series of issues/questions:

1. I have been doing 90 minutes of yoga nearly every day for a few years.  It's power yoga, vinyasa flow or strong hatha. Given the data and conversations on exercise, is this too much? Anyone who does this yoga can attest to how good of a muscular workout it is. And I don't take it easy. 

2. I try to go for brisk walks a few times a week for 45-90 minutes at a time. I used to run also but have stopped doing that in light of the research on running.

3. I've found some joy in eating avocados and enjoying BPC as well as coconut/milk. Is it ok to eat avocados and coconuts? They are high carb by comparison to straight fat foods or even nuts like almonds. Should I be avoiding these if I want to be leaner?  

4. How much butter/MCT should I be putting in my coffee in the morning? I have been trying the BPC in the mornings, with 1 tbsp of each fat and the coffee, then eating a whole meal smoothie for lunch. In the afternoon I'll eat nuts, hard boiled eggs,  coconut butter, baby carrots when I'm hungry/peckish and then have a grass-fed meat & green vegetable dinner. 

5. I would love to be able to eat higher carb vegetables like sweet potatoes. Can I do this because I do the exercise? Or are these no-nos? If/when I eat them, I put on weight. Not fun.

6. Am I eating enough? 

Thanks to anyone who can provide insights and opinions. It's hard to switch to eating meat and fats, which I avoided (along with complex carbs) for so long. Basically, it's weird to EAT. But also weird to think that I need to exercise less. 

Tagged:

Comments

• First off, welcome!

1. Someone else will have to comment here I think, I have never done yoga.  I can say that it sounds like you are overdoing it.  90min of aerobic or anaerobic exercise every day is way too much.

2. Walking is fine, good idea about not running.  Everything I have heard makes aerobic exercise sound more damaging than productive.

3. Eat all the coconut and avocados you can.  As far as nuts go coconuts are the best, the infographic states 2-3 servings a day are ok.  If you want to be lean I would say to exercise some restraint with the nuts all in all but the avocadoes are fine.

4. Be careful with the MCT, it will be hard to get used to at first.  You can supplement with ox bile if you wish.  You should slowly ramp up the MCT from 1 tbsp to the goal of around 2 tbsp.  The Butter you will find can remain at around the 3tbsp mark.  I would avoid those carrots if I were you, carbs are the enemy of the lean(save backloading as you will see)

5. Check out the podcast by Keifer on carb backloading.  As a woman you especially want to have some carbs after a workout to avoid adrenal fatigue.  Try them fried in coconut oil with nutmeg.

6. To be honest we will have to see a complete day to advise.  It sounds like you are on the right track though.  Yes, it's a very different way of thinking and it takes awhile to get fat adapted.  

Lastly, if I were you I would go through back podcasts and look at the ones that apply to you.  You mentioned hormonal issues and given how prevalent women have issues with this you may want to check out this one:

It helped my wife quite a bit who is your age.

• Thanks very much for the input. I'm downloading that episode and will listen to it during my walk later today. I just checked the carb content of the whole meal shakes I take and they are high: 13-18 grams of vegan carbs per serving. I usually add almond milk, ice, celery, cucumber and kale stems (I bake the leaves). I've been adding BP whey lately or collagen.

Here is what a typical day looks like now:

wake up 7-7:30

1 cup BPC with 1 tbsp butter & MCT

yoga at 9:00 am

whole meal smoothie with almond milk, 1 tbsp whey/collagen, extra veggies (as above) around 11:30 - 12:30

2 hard boiled eggs with or without the carrots at 2-3pm

avocado/cacao mousse or a big handful of sprouted almonds at 4-5pm 

*I'll also eat coconut butter/oil in the afternoon as well, when I'm hungry or sometimes for emotional reasons/boredom

Dinner will either be chicken, grassfed meat, or wildcaught fish/seafood with vegetables, or a grass-fed meat ragu with cauliflower or zucchini as pasta substitute. I used to eat a lot of fruit, and I now don't eat any at all.

I try not to eat after 9 pm; if I'm hungry I'll warm up some almond milk with pure cacao or matcha powder and add whey/collagen - no later than 10 pm

sometimes I'll have a 'treat' which consists of no-sugar-added coconut ice cream

I am freelance/work from home, so I do go out for lunches/dinners which I'm careful about (usually sushi or a salad place), and I have been alternating the yoga with just a walk on certain days. Some days, like today, I'll do both (because I have time).

*I can get really bad about the snacking and I know it's a big reason I'm not able to maintain the leanness. The intensity of the agitation that leads me to eat depends on time of month, and also general life/stress levels. 

I meditate not every day, but I'm working towards that. 

Initially when i started the BPC and eating more fat I'd say it took 3-4 weeks for my body to adapt and now I feel it has adapted because I would "normally" be or seem bloated/bigger with the extra food I'm eating. 

I forgot to mention that I have Crohn's disease and have had it since I was 16, but I've kept it in remission for well over 10 years. I definitely felt the MCT oil in the beginning! 

I hope this is enough information for a better picture. I'm sure I should get psychologically better about the softness, but it's hard when going from being very muscular and very lean to looking 'normal'. Like most women, I'm probably just extremely judgmental of myself. And I'm actually surprised at how good I've been feeling since doing the paleo/BPD. I feel like it's strengthening my psyche too. Who knew that eating could be so good? :)

• Your day of food doesn't look too bad to me at all.  If you are stalling out for weight loss I would cut out the nuts and carrots.  Then, I would put the carb refuels after the yoga exclusively(check out the podcast on carb backloading to get more on why).  

Regarding subject of weight loss are you sure you even need to?  Bear in mind that Dave gained weight while on this diet without even lifting weights.  It's possible that your body is simply filling out to a healthy state, your weight does not seem high.  I don't like going by weight anyhow, I would recommend you get a body fat caliper to get a good impression of where you are so that you can see where you should be.  I dieted down to the 7-8 body fat range as my goal was a specific waist size and I quickly realized that my goal was incorrect.  It's good to have something to shoot for but not if they jeapordize your health and are not sustainable anyhow.

Another thing that occurs to me looking at your day is you are consuming smoothies and also having issues with snacking at times.  I never found that smoothies were filling enough so I had issues snacking also until I cut them out.  I think you should try cutting them out and having food in the more solid form instead then see if snacking is still an issue.

•  

Your day of food doesn't look too bad to me at all.  If you are stalling out for weight loss I would cut out the nuts and carrots.  Then, I would put the carb refuels after the yoga exclusively(check out the podcast on carb backloading to get more on why).  

Regarding subject of weight loss are you sure you even need to?  Bear in mind that Dave gained weight while on this diet without even lifting weights.  It's possible that your body is simply filling out to a healthy state, your weight does not seem high.  I don't like going by weight anyhow, I would recommend you get a body fat caliper to get a good impression of where you are so that you can see where you should be.  I dieted down to the 7-8 body fat range as my goal was a specific waist size and I quickly realized that my goal was incorrect.  It's good to have something to shoot for but not if they jeapordize your health and are not sustainable anyhow.

Another thing that occurs to me looking at your day is you are consuming smoothies and also having issues with snacking at times.  I never found that smoothies were filling enough so I had issues snacking also until I cut them out.  I think you should try cutting them out and having food in the more solid form instead then see if snacking is still an issue.

Thank you again. I'll go listen the podcast (by the way the one you pointed me to yesterday was enlightening and I'm making a commitment to sleeping more!).  I know what you mean about what my body should be, naturally, versus an unrealistic ideal. Though I was ultra skinny at 116 lbs I wasn't actually attractive - just a bunch of bones and sinew. So I don't want that again! Good point about the smoothies. I'll have to figure that one out as it pertains to the IF as well. Maybe I'll have the smoothie after my workout since it has good carbs, and eat a real lunch as well. 

• Hi,

I'm a recent BulletProof convert, with a long and varied history of eating problems, body image problems, and even hormonal problems because of it (as I'm sure a lot of women have).

To put myself in context, I'm 34 years old and just shy of 5'7" and last time I weighed myself a week ago was at 123 lbs. I was 116 lbs two summers ago, albeit I was basically starving myself. I feel happiest with my body around 120 lbs and I have a mediterranean shape (I'm Italian).  I know that if I want to get that 120 I have to eat less, but I realize that eating less isn't healthy and I'm a miserable person when I'm not eating enough, not to mention I have crazy carb cravings. 

Last October after gaining a bunch of weight (128 lbs) I freaked and went Paleo and reduced calories and also found BP resources and achieved 121 lbs within 2 weeks. Since committing to bulletproof coffee (fats scare me) I'm at this more round shape and I have all this soft tissue that I am beginning to mentally/psychologically accept.   

So here's my series of issues/questions:

1. I have been doing 90 minutes of yoga nearly every day for a few years.  It's power yoga, vinyasa flow or strong hatha. Given the data and conversations on exercise, is this too much? Anyone who does this yoga can attest to how good of a muscular workout it is. And I don't take it easy. 

2. I try to go for brisk walks a few times a week for 45-90 minutes at a time. I used to run also but have stopped doing that in light of the research on running.

3. I've found some joy in eating avocados and enjoying BPC as well as coconut/milk. Is it ok to eat avocados and coconuts? They are high carb by comparison to straight fat foods or even nuts like almonds. Should I be avoiding these if I want to be leaner?  

4. How much butter/MCT should I be putting in my coffee in the morning? I have been trying the BPC in the mornings, with 1 tbsp of each fat and the coffee, then eating a whole meal smoothie for lunch. In the afternoon I'll eat nuts, hard boiled eggs,  coconut butter, baby carrots when I'm hungry/peckish and then have a grass-fed meat & green vegetable dinner. 

5. I would love to be able to eat higher carb vegetables like sweet potatoes. Can I do this because I do the exercise? Or are these no-nos? If/when I eat them, I put on weight. Not fun.

6. Am I eating enough? 

Thanks to anyone who can provide insights and opinions. It's hard to switch to eating meat and fats, which I avoided (along with complex carbs) for so long. Basically, it's weird to EAT. But also weird to think that I need to exercise less. 

Hi Adapia,

On your exercise, I would listen to your body.  I do yoga,  flow/vinyasa yoga is my favorite, and I like to move.  90 minutes daily could be too much if you push yourself  hard.  Pay attention to how you feel.  Do you get sore from some of the poses or sun salutations you do?  Do you have many days where you are low energy?  

One thing you could do is trade out some of your yoga sessions for some short weight training (body weight or dumbbells).  30-40 minutes max.  You mentioned body image issues and not liking your weight, but sometimes toning and muscle building helps more -- a lot more -- than weight loss.  Just a thought.  If you train intensely enough, you can get a lot out of half an hour.  And that frees up more time in your day to do other things (more money-generating free lance work, perhaps).  Your half hour of weight training (or a HIIT workout) might give you the same or better results than 90 minutes of yoga daily.  Don't stop doing yoga.  Yoga is awesome on many levels :)

The walks are fine.  Walking can be very stress-reducing.

Yes, it's okay, actually quite acceptable, to eat coconut and avocados.

I make my coffee like you do -- 1 TBS butter (clarified) and 1 TBS MCT.  I just don't need tons of either one in my coffee.  I also don't intermittently fast.  My workouts are first thing in the morning before eating, then I have BPC and a protein breakfast.

I don't do well on a lot of carbohydrate myself.  I think you can experiment, though.  That's what buys you the best results -- experimentation.  I have about half a serving of fruit daily and sweet potatoes maybe a couple of times a week.  I seem to be doing best on lower carb and restrained protein, with fat as the larger part of my diet.  Also, on quantity -- everybody is different.  Again, experiment and adjust as you see the results of your experimentation.

Good luck!

Mary

• Hi adapia,

Welcome :)

I just wanted to give you a hug and tell you: you're not alone with body image struggle. But you totally found the right path to go!

Altough at a normal, fit weight, I wasn't happy with myself for about 10 years... (Started with 13/14). In 2011 something happed that made me endlessly sad inside. I didn't care about what I ate... Didn't want to give a sh** about nutrition. And I ended up loosing a lot of weight.

If you're starving yourself (consciously or unconsciously) the body lacks the energy to feel happy or confident. And the spiral goes down and down. The less you can feel happiness, the more important "body image" seems to get. At least that's what I found looking back at that sad time.

What changed everything for me was when I discovered low carb/high fat then paleo then bulletproof :)

My life started to be beautiful and full of colours again. My brain finally had the energy to feel happiness, appreciation, gratitude, love. The wall of bricks between me and the people around me was broken down.

The body image issues I had over half of my life went away. I am so happy to be me, to be the way I am. Be a teamplayer to yourself, not an enemy.

I know that society gives a shit about looks but I don't. MCT-oil makes you shine from the inside ;)

Soo... Enjoy all the beautiful bulletproof foods. Avocados, eggs, butter, colorful veggies, even sweet potatoes. Just look at the bulletproof infographic.

Pamper your mind and your body with plentifulness.

The more energy your body and mind have... The more the fear of food will fade away.

Enjoy!

----

Hi Marina,

Thanks so much for your post. I know exactly how you felt. I was a nasty person to be around when I was too thin and lived in a constant state of fear and vigil for putting on even so much as a shadow of weight or size. I look back now and wonder, "how ever did I live that way?".  I do believe that the fats like MCT and the simple psychological effect of being OK with eating have contributed to my newfound state of wellbeing. 

I'm a dedicated yogi and I meditate as well; feeling gratitude has been a major internal shift, which I reflect outwardly as well. I marvel at the symbiosis between psyche and body and how easily it can go off-balance. 

I'm glad to hear about the avocados too, because I was a little worried about them being high-carb, like coconuts. I make this great chocolate mousse with an avocado, pure cacao powder and distilled water. blend it and voila! It's such a nice snack. 

Do you take bulletproof coffee as well? I've been taking it for the past few weeks and I'm feeling really good. 

• Hi Adapia,

On your exercise, I would listen to your body.  I do yoga,  flow/vinyasa yoga is my favorite, and I like to move.  90 minutes daily could be too much if you push yourself  hard.  Pay attention to how you feel.  Do you get sore from some of the poses or sun salutations you do?  Do you have many days where you are low energy?  

One thing you could do is trade out some of your yoga sessions for some short weight training (body weight or dumbbells).  30-40 minutes max.  You mentioned body image issues and not liking your weight, but sometimes toning and muscle building helps more -- a lot more -- than weight loss.  Just a thought.  If you train intensely enough, you can get a lot out of half an hour.  And that frees up more time in your day to do other things (more money-generating free lance work, perhaps).  Your half hour of weight training (or a HIIT workout) might give you the same or better results than 90 minutes of yoga daily.  Don't stop doing yoga.  Yoga is awesome on many levels :)

The walks are fine.  Walking can be very stress-reducing.

Yes, it's okay, actually quite acceptable, to eat coconut and avocados.

I make my coffee like you do -- 1 TBS butter (clarified) and 1 TBS MCT.  I just don't need tons of either one in my coffee.  I also don't intermittently fast.  My workouts are first thing in the morning before eating, then I have BPC and a protein breakfast.

I don't do well on a lot of carbohydrate myself.  I think you can experiment, though.  That's what buys you the best results -- experimentation.  I have about half a serving of fruit daily and sweet potatoes maybe a couple of times a week.  I seem to be doing best on lower carb and restrained protein, with fat as the larger part of my diet.  Also, on quantity -- everybody is different.  Again, experiment and adjust as you see the results of your experimentation.

Good luck!

---

Hi Marielle,

Thanks for the insights and for taking the time to reply. I'm definitely carbohydrate intolerant. I feel those suckers right away on my body and in my energy levels. Going BulletProof with diet and also taking the coffee has helped me with sugar cravings, which I no longer get. I do, rarely, and I'll eat dark chocolate. Or I'll make a chocolate avocado pudding which is totally paleo/bulletproof. 

I can't believe that my body composition can be this good with all the fat I'm eating. It's shocking and my mind/ego is probably rebelling and reverting to old behaviours of judgment towards my body, but I feel this is slowly getting better. All my yoga, meditation and mindfulness are helping. And a gratitude journal. I find that the mind/spiritual element needs to be integrated into the physical when making any kind of massive change - even for the better. 

As to exercise, I'm so glad you are a yogini too. And in fact, I do often feel tired when I've gone on a string of yoga sessions. Physically and mentally tired. So I now don't do yoga every day and have been experimenting with the 7-minute workout and just bough the book, Body By Science to learn more about the short duration, high intensity workouts - as you suggested. I love my walks; they are my waking meditation - and times when I get to listen to the BP podcast.

I might check back in about my psychological-body progress in a few weeks. Meanwhile, I'll be all over those avocados and coconuts. I'm lucky being in SoCal for both those yummy foods.

Take Care!

• edited March 2014
    New here too! I've been on the BP diet for 22 days. I drink BP coffee. Eat Grass feed meat only & fish. Also, I am celiac and dairy free so this way of eating is pretty similar to how I have been eating for 11yrs. I'm 35, 5'8 and 165. I'd like to loose 25 pounds. I walk 3x's a week, lessen the duration to 40mins. I do eat 2 hard boil eggs in am so I can take vitamins. Since doing BP diet, I have more energy, sleep better and don't feel hungry. I've been reading about high veggie carbs and trying to eliminate them. I have been reading forums here for a few weeks. I relate to some of the shares. Like....I poop every 3 days, that did change. The last 3 days have had light headaches. Also, lights seem to be extra bright these last few weeks. I was doing two 2 tbs of MCT oil, now down to one. I am new here as stated but would love to hear other people's first few months experience. Tips, etc. thanks!
  • Hi.     I'm new to BP --- about 28 days in -- but haven't gotten the energy to do any workouts besides walking in the last 28 days.   Am getting a bit concerned and am thinking maybe I need way more carbs but don't want to fall into that trap.

Anyone else having low motivation/energy for exercise?    I have always LOVED to exercise and way more than Asprey suggests.     

• Hi Susan, I think it is normal! I felt the same way when I started Bulletproof diet. I had an affair with Kerrygold and dark chocolate while feeling absolutely blissfull. I couldn't excercise for the first few weeks but that changed. Give yourself time. And if you crave carbs, that's ok too. Give your body what it needs. Trust and breathe.

Do only what you really want to do.

• Adapia - I love you and I love your story.

Do only what you really want to do.