Carbs in France

Great to see forums appear!!

I've just started to have a bulletproof coffee in the mornings and my energy levels have good through the roof.

The last three days I have started to restrict all carbs and get myself into ketosis.

I have a question that is bugging me

About 6 months ago I had a 6 week holiday around Europe which was fantastic.

But I couldn't help but notice the types of food the locals eat and the weight they carry.

In Italy, all they seemed to eat was breads and pasta and there really wasn't much beef (and lamb and pork) to be found, But a high percentage of it's citizens are thin, yes there are overweight people there but no obese.

France..... Not much pasta but bread and flour everywhere!

We saw people walking down the street munching on a whole French stick, and they all were thin!

What is happening here??

Comments

• THEORY-- I took an anthropology class about 10 years ago, and there was a "claim" that people of eastern decent generally tolerate foods with a higher glycemic index. Perhaps this works for certain areas of EU? I would also be willing to bet that lifestyle in addition to their grain eating involves a lot more moving around. Is it possible that the types of fat they eat are healthier? Maybe they fast...what does their meal time look like? I do know that higher levels of activity makes a person more "tolerable" to higher levels of carb intake.

I think there is a lot to take into consideration. Seeing someone eat 1 piece of bread (as common as it may be) does not mean that the person did not have meat for the other meals. Generally, meat from Europe is also much healthier (generally not always) because grass fed is the rule not the exception (currently).
  • Anyone walking around eating a lot of bread and pasta - and yet staying thin, simply have never become insulin resistant - the way most Americans have with the constant stream of processed carbs and high blood sugar. Thin also doesn't translate to healthy. There are a ton of thin people in India, which has one of the highest levels of diabetes in the world. A lot of people (especially athletes) temporarily get away with jacking their blood sugar levels over and over - by the sheer amount of exercise they do. Like Michael Phelps eating 10,000 calories a day at McDonald's. But it catches up to them. Art DeVany cited a great example of of a former Olympian (can't remember the name) who bragged about being able to eat 6-7,000 calories a day at the height of his career, but now was a raging diabetic at 45. This topic really resonates with me, because I have a lot of athlete friends who don't see the danger of wheat and sugar - because they are thin and "healthy", from the sheer amount of exercise they are doing. However, every single one of them has health issues at young ages that young athletes shouldn't be experiencing ... digestive problems, arthritis, knee problems, back problems, high blood pressure, etc, etc.
  • RIght. Take into account an entirely different culture. Did you notice the amount of people walking? When I visit Europe, one of the first things I notice is how most people walk/bike. e.g. how active they are, especially when compared to America. I'm betting that has something to do with it.
  • I've also noticed they do a couple key things:

Stop eating when they're full.

Get full very easily.
  • Yes, i totally agree with you.
    2.gif