Not Getting My Period

Hi everybody! So I've been eating paleo for about a year and BP for about half a year. I started to to BP intermittent fasting and continued for about 3 months. Although I made sure to eat enough during the eating window and put enough fat in my coffee, I ended up loosing my period and not getting it back for 3 months. Thought it might be the IF so I started having breakfast (eggs and BPC) for a month and did get my period. However, that was two months ago and I haven't gotten my period again. I'm really confused and would like some ideas as to why this is happening.

I'm 17, 5'5, 125lb.

This is a typical day:

Breakfast: two eggs, "Skinny BPC": 1 tbsp butter, 1tbsp mct, small bit of veg.

Lunch: 3oz beef/lamb/fish/eggs. Butter/coconut oil/mct, 2 cups veg, avocado, olives

Dinner: like 4 cups of veg, butter/coconut oil/mct.

In between meals/dessert/on-the-go food: 1 oz macadamia nuts, Lindt 90, coconut flakes

I eat about 3/4 cups of starch every 2-3 days or so. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Comments

• This one is easy.... not enough carbs! Women need more carbs... check out Jason Seib's work, Stephanie at Paleo for Women... Go Kaleo... IFing and low carb ketosis is not good for most females

• Here's another opinion. I think you need to go consult a medical professional to find out what is going on with you hormonally.  It might not be connected to your diet.  Just don't let the doc try to put you on birth control pills (say "thank you" when they hand you the prescription, then don't fill it).

I don't think ketosis is necessarily bad for women.  I think long term ketosis can have some effects on many people, especially women with our touchier systems, and that's why you'll hear to recommendation to come out of ketosis approximately weekly with a "re-feed".

I personally think your protein is too low for someone your age, especially if you are really active.  Why not add some meat or fish for dinner?

Good luck to you :)

Mary

• I've used a food tracking app and I usually end up with about 50-60g of protein a day from meat, eggs, fish, veg, and nuts

• So I'm only supposed to measure my protein from meat fish and eggs? Why not veg and avocados?

thanks for the help

• Good golly! Even 50-60 grams of protein including your nuts and vegetables is low for a girl your age. I am similar in size to you and I eat more protein than that...and I am old enough to be your mother (I have a niece your age). At least try for another 30-40 gram serving of meat or fish at dinner.

Also, protein from animal sources is much higher quality than protein from vegetable sources.

Mary

• edited January 2014

I lost my period when I went gluten-free in June 2012 due to health issues. It turned out that I was probably eating 1200-1500 calories per day because I just hadn't added back other foods or fats --- not due to being fat-phobic, but because all of the nonstarchy veggies I was eating did not contain as many calories as a plate of pasta, and I just didn't realize how many calories I needed from them. I had a binge problem with dried fruit and nut butters for obvious reasons, and my body weight was about 140-145 with a 26.5" waist (size 6) at the lowest point in August 2012. My mom said that I looked way too thin and thought that I needed to see a doctor because I was getting so bony. I would probably look emaciated if I weighed less than 135.

After having an incredibly special and stressful housing issue in December 2012, I started eating more carbs (some of which I ate at the wrong time of day, so a bit of the weight gain was probably avoidable). I am now at a 28" waist (size 7-8), weigh 155-160 pounds, and I have my cycle back. Your body might just be more comfortable at a slightly higher weight, too. If that's true, you'll get your period back if you gain. My weight stabilized after I started BP in July 2013. I rarely binge on dried fruit (not exactly BP, but I do have some in my freezer for use in recipes) or nut butters now --- and the lack of binge eating is how I define success for me. :) I also eat my carbohydrates at smarter times now: I do ashtanga yoga, so I have 150-200g of carbs from rice and sweet potatoes on Monday and Wednesday evenings after I finish it. I use my Tuesday and Thursday mornings as collagen-loaded coffee days. This ensures that I get extra protein when my muscles need it --- if I don't do the protein refeed the morning after, I definitely feel the low protein and might have binge instincts in the evening. On other days of the week, my protein intake is typically in the 60g/day range.

I remember that I also dropped to 145 lbs. while on track my freshman year of high school, and I was eating nothing but frozen yogurt, PB&J sandwiches, cheese, and pasta (at probably about 1500 calories/day with a high activity level). I also lost my period around that time, if memory serves. I'm about ten years older than you, so my point in sharing this monologue is that this kind of stuff is relevant to a lot of fertile women.

-- Kaye

• I appreciate that a lot, Kaye, thank you

• edited January 2014

woah y'all! not getting your period is not necessarily a bad thing!

"If you think about it, there are several times in a woman’s life when it’s totally normal to have no period, not just as a girl or later in life, but also when pregnant or breastfeeding.

why do we get periods in the first place? Periods are a coordinated effort between the brain, the ovaries, and the uterus (or womb). It takes teamwork from multiple hormones to pull it off, but the hormones estrogen and progesterone are the two main players. Women have periods if they’re healthy, releasing eggs from the ovaries regularly, and not pregnant or breastfeeding. Periods are the body’s way of getting ready for the next possible pregnancy. A uterus is ever optimistic that its owner is planning to get pregnant in the next few weeks!

How do birth control methods stop a period? The hormone estrogen builds up the lining of the uterus (the endometrium) that is shed every month during a period. The hormone progesterone keeps the lining of the uterus thin. The methods most likely to make your periods lighten or disappear contain progesterone and keep the lining of the uterus thin. Keeping the lining of the uterus thin is one of the ways these birth control methods protect against pregnancy; it’s also why women using these methods have lighter periods or no periods.

There’s a myth out there that not having a period is bad because women’s uteruses need to be cleaned out. But a uterus is not like a mouth—it can take care of itself under most circumstances"

im 24 and since I have been on the bp diet, my periods have become shorter and lighter too, thank goodness! all the delicious fats and proteins have done wonders for my hormones and my husband loves it. I wouldnt be too worried about missing a period here and there..it probably means your prolactin levels are high (healthy ammount of exercise, replenished hormones) If you are feeling happy and healthy then I wouldnt stress too much over it! if nothing feels wrong then you are also saving your eggs for when you perhaps will will want to use them to make a baby! My grandma told me that none of the girls back in the day in her class had heavy or consistent periods..and she lived in farm country where all they ate was beef, butter, and veggies...is it a coincedence? I dunno.

on the other hand it could be: Polycystic ovarian syndrome(increased body hair, erractic periods), Thyroid dysfunction(underactive thyroid, lethargic, bad circulation), Excessive exercising(high prolactin), A pituitory tumor that produces a lot of prolactin, cushings disease(too much cortisol, also happens in adrenal glands), Drugs, anorexia(rapid weight loss), menopause..

.....so really any rapid increase or decrease in hormones can effect your period, the bp diet definitly benefits your hormones and on top of that you are 17 which means your hormones are really high anyways...Don't sweat it girl! in fact I say enjoy it

• Mira,

I don't think that anyone disputes that lighter periods are preferable and a wonderful outcome of the BP diet.  However, I think you are using a quote out of context (I don't know who you are quoting; you didn't specify).  Your quote appears to address pregnant and breast-feeding women, and then describe why women may lose their periods while taking certain hormones.  You don't "need" to bleed monthly, the bleeding is not the point.  But if your estrogen and progesterone are imbalanced or extremely low (causing you to miss your period for an extended period of time), that is not a healthy state.

Kristy, who asked the question, actually missed her period for three months.  Simply being a little late or skipping an isolated period would probably not be cause for concern.

Mary