Why Does Mct Oil Eat Styrofoam?

This has happened to me 3 times.  While traveling on the road for work I stopped at a gas station to get coffee and I added some butter and mct oil.  Of coarse the oils separate and go to the top.  As I drive down the road the cup starts to disintegrate in my hand right at the mct oil line.  What is happening?  The cups are the very thin type not the old thick type.  The first time it happened I just figured I had a bad cup but the other times I notice it was at the oil line.  Then another person told me it happened to her too.

Any thoughts

Greenhornet 

Comments

• Jason,

I was actually looking for a little chemistry here, I have a curious mind.  Are you serious about the inappropriate storage?  My wife and I use the now brand and go through a bottle every couple of weeks.  I just store it at room temperature, is that bad?  I thought MCT was fairly stable.  In any case I am still looking for some basic chemistry.

Greenhornet

• I believe any oil will break down styrofoam (rubber, too), not just MCT oil.  Yuck, buy/bring a travel mug!  

Mary

• Like dissolves like.  Look into solubility rules and polarity. 

Styrofoam is non-polar and mct oil is "sort-of" non polar I would guess.

• Thanks everyone for the answers.  I like learning something new every day.  Rule of thumb (no more styrofoam cups/use travel mug) :) :)

Thanks

Greenhornet

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I've been working doubles at work and as a result have been bringing a huge thermos of BPC with me. Just the other night I poured some into a Styrofoam cup and was kind of weirded out when it began to feel unstable and thin. I drank the coffee anyway, not realizing what was happening. Won't be doing that again. Ugh.

Do I have Styrofoam poisoning now guys? ;-;

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!
    edited January 2014

Just did a experiment with MCT and some Fish oil in Styrofoam cups.. crazy. Going to post some pics. Now my fingers and pocket knife smell like fish...

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

edited January 2014

Holy.. blew my mind!

So after some googling, people where talking about Fish oil melting Styrofoam cups. They were doing this to test if ethyl ester (this scares me as ethanol I.E. CORN or GRAIN alcohol) was used to concentrate the fatty acids.

I have had MCT melt a cup of coffee in a styrofoam cup before. As I recall I was using NOW brand MCT. I have had a styrofoam cup of Upgraded MCT oil for about 30 min and there is no sign of breakdown in the cup whatsoever.

The fish oil Swisse Wild fish oil concentrate + vitamin D3 has melted the bottom of the cup in about 5 min. http://www.swisse.com/us/products/omega-3s-krill-fish-oil/55/omega-3swild-fish-oil-concentrate

I dont take the Swisse fish oil anymore once I realized the corn oil in it but have had it in my desk for some time.

Here is some info about ethyl esters used in fish oil http://www.ascentahealth.com/health-science/science-articles/fish-oil-triglycerides-vs-ethyl-esters-as-nature-intended

20140125_211822.jpg

20140125_211839.jpgcup with MCT oil /\/\

20140125_211853.jpgCup with Fish oi /\/\

20140125_211910.jpg

• Videos of these things eating through cups, please ;)

Holy.. blew my mind!

So after some googling, people where talking about Fish oil melting Styrofoam cups. They were doing this to test if ethyl ester (this scares me as ethanol I.E. CORN or GRAIN alcohol) was used to concentrate the fatty acids.

I have had MCT melt a cup of coffee in a styrofoam cup before. As I recall I was using NOW brand MCT. I have had a styrofoam cup of Upgraded MCT oil for about 30 min and there is no sign of breakdown in the cup whatsoever.

The fish oil Swisse Wild fish oil concentrate + vitamin D3 has melted the bottom of the cup in about 5 min. http://www.swisse.com/us/products/omega-3s-krill-fish-oil/55/omega-3swild-fish-oil-concentrate

I dont take the Swisse fish oil anymore once I realized the corn oil in it but have had it in my desk for some time.

Here is some info about ethyl esters used in fish oil http://www.ascentahealth.com/health-science/science-articles/fish-oil-triglycerides-vs-ethyl-esters-as-nature-intended

*snip*

I don't have any NOW MCT. someone else will need to test that one out.

Im going to let the Upgraded MCT sit for a few hours. 

I think I might get another cup with hot water and add MCT as well.

edited January 2014

Videos of these things eating through cups, please ;)

You really want me to stand in front of a cup with fish oil with my phone for 5-10 min..? lol, its a slow enough at work tonight I might consider it

my experiment failed.

The cup with the Upgraded MCT did not show a sign of any breakdown what so ever for 5 hours. I got some hot water and pored it in with the MCT and within about 20 seconds it started to eat up the bottom of the cup where the MCT had been sitting.

• I too have had BP Brain Octane and hot coffee eat through styrofoam cups. 2 days in a row and then a year later when I forgot about it. Here is a pic of latest happening. The outside is paper so it held, luckily or would probably have gotten burnt. It makes me wonder if it is this harsh on your gut. Any thoughts?

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭✭

Styrofoam is something you should avoid if at all possible. For coffee or anything else. It's ok as an insulator (like inside the walls of a cooler), but not if it comes in contact with food.

Found this fascinating quote via The Google:

"Styrofoam (polystyrene) cups can be dissolved by pure fish oils. All fish oils will have this same effect on polystyrene, but some will take much longer than others. Various healthy natural substances, like fresh lemon oil, will also dissolve polystyrene. In the Styrofoam cup test, the esterified ethyl ester form of fish oil works to dissolve Styrofoam much faster than the triglyceride form simply because the number of chemical bonds in the two forms of oil are different; with ethyl ester fish oil having its number of bonds closer to that of Styrofoam. This similar chemical polarity is the same reason why pure lemon oil also works quickly to dissolve Styrofoam."

http://honestnutrition.blogspot.com/2013/05/does-fish-oil-dissolve-styrofoam-and-is.html

• I have a friend who is a md and a nationally known top researcher in nutrition and brain health, when I showed the brain octane oil he said it was closer to vinegar (structurewise) than oils.. got me a little puzzled but I am no chem geek.

• Oh, yes, it dissolves styrofoam! Also, it will dissolve baggies! I had it in my suitcase with the bottle double bagged and it ate through the first Baggie. Next time I'll try putting it inside a foil bag that I saved from some other food package.