Food Advice

Hi guys, i've just got my first order of meat (steaks, burgers, sausages, bacon). I'm just wondering what to pair the meat with? Obviously vegetables on the green side of the BP diet, however I find just vegetables and meat to be a bit bland. Do you guys have any "go to" or typical meals you make? Any ideas/recommendations are welcome, thanks.

Comments

• I love the photography for Paleo based recipes on: http://punchfork.com/from/Nom-Nom-Paleo

Just make any adjustments if needed to be BPD compliant.

I still need to try out the techniques in Upgraded Chef AND start ordering some grass-fed meats when I cook on the weekends for my family.

-Enrique
  • 'Joka999' wrote:

Hi guys, i've just got my first order of meat (steaks, burgers, sausages, bacon). I'm just wondering what to pair the meat with? Obviously vegetables on the green side of the BP diet, however I find just vegetables and meat to be a bit bland. Do you guys have any "go to" or typical meals you make? Any ideas/recommendations are welcome, thanks.
    Make tasty sauces to go with it and impart some great flavour. One of the nicest things I had last week were some Lamb Chops with some long stemmed broccoli and spinach. Here's what I did :-

* In a cast iron pan I added about a tablespoon of grassfed butter.

* I placed in a couple of lovely lambchops well-seasoned with some Maldon sea salt. I lightly coloured these (Don't overdo the caremalisation) then placed the pan in the oven at gas mark 2 (which thanks to google I found was under that 300 degree f limit that Dave recommends.

* Cook this until done to your taste (I like my lamb pink in the middle).

* A couple of minutes before I pull the lamb out I'll put on a pan of boiling water.

* Once your lamb is out of the oven put the chops on a warm plate and cover with some kitchen foil to retain the heat and draw the juices back through the meat.

* Hopefully now your water is boiling. Add salt to the water then place in the broccoli. Cook until al dente. Then drain and toss in a knob of butter (butter makes veggies awesome.

* While your broccoli is cooking time to make an awesome sauce.

* Put your cast iron pan on the heat of the stove. There's a lot of flavour in there already. Add some lamb stock to deglaze the pan (If you don't have fresh lamb stock I'd recommend Knorr Lamb cubes, no artificial additives and preservatives so more bulletproof than Oxo....taste better too)

* Scrape the sediment from the pan and allow this to reduce. Taste it as it reduces, you may need salt, you may not. It's your preference. At the end add another small knob of butter to give the sauce some gloss.

* Spinach time. Now comes a choice. You can wilt your Spinach in the pan you did the broccoli in, or for that extra flavour punch I like to wilt it in that delicious sauce you've just made. It doesn't take long.

* Remove the foil from your plate, some juice may have leached out from the lamb...that's more flavour! Drain that juice into your sauce to give it another notch!

* Put your delicious spinach and buttery broccoli on the plate with your lamb chops.

* To finish the sauce, drop in some chopped fresh parsley, stir, then spoon the sauce over your lamb and veggies.

* Enjoy!

• Make tasty sauces to go with it and impart some great flavour. One of the nicest things I had last week were some Lamb Chops with some long stemmed broccoli and spinach. Here's what I did :-

* In a cast iron pan I added about a tablespoon of grassfed butter.

* I placed in a couple of lovely lambchops well-seasoned with some Maldon sea salt. I lightly coloured these (Don't overdo the caremalisation) then placed the pan in the oven at gas mark 2 (which thanks to google I found was under that 300 degree f limit that Dave recommends.

* Cook this until done to your taste (I like my lamb pink in the middle).

* A couple of minutes before I pull the lamb out I'll put on a pan of boiling water.

* Once your lamb is out of the oven put the chops on a warm plate and cover with some kitchen foil to retain the heat and draw the juices back through the meat.

* Hopefully now your water is boiling. Add salt to the water then place in the broccoli. Cook until al dente. Then drain and toss in a knob of butter (butter makes veggies awesome.

* While your broccoli is cooking time to make an awesome sauce.

* Put your cast iron pan on the heat of the stove. There's a lot of flavour in there already. Add some lamb stock to deglaze the pan (If you don't have fresh lamb stock I'd recommend Knorr Lamb cubes, no artificial additives and preservatives so more bulletproof than Oxo....taste better too)

* Scrape the sediment from the pan and allow this to reduce. Taste it as it reduces, you may need salt, you may not. It's your preference. At the end add another small knob of butter to give the sauce some gloss.

* Spinach time. Now comes a choice. You can wilt your Spinach in the pan you did the broccoli in, or for that extra flavour punch I like to wilt it in that delicious sauce you've just made. It doesn't take long.

* Remove the foil from your plate, some juice may have leached out from the lamb...that's more flavour! Drain that juice into your sauce to give it another notch!

* Put your delicious spinach and buttery broccoli on the plate with your lamb chops.

* To finish the sauce, drop in some chopped fresh parsley, stir, then spoon the sauce over your lamb and veggies.

* Enjoy!

Robvsnature that sounds pretty amazing! I've just looked up Knorr stock cubes and found the attached file, they seem pretty safe? Also in terms of herbs and spices, where and what do you buy? Thanks.
  • 'Joka999' wrote:

Robvsnature that sounds pretty amazing! I've just looked up Knorr stock cubes and found the attached file, they seem pretty safe? Also in terms of herbs and spices, where and what do you buy? Thanks.

To be honest in terms of the carbs contained in each cube its in such small quantities that I can't really see them making much impact.

In terms of herbs and spices I grow some herbs fresh myself (Inundated with parsley, dill, sage, mint and basil), and as for spices I'm partial to the curry spices like cumin, tumeric (A particularly bulletproof spice),etc. Also fond of cayenne powder, paprika, dried oregano, dried bay leaves, cinnamon, ginger, saffron if you can find it at a reasonable price. The trick with herbs and spices is to buy small amounts and once opened keep them up in an airtight container, using them up quickly.

I might start posting some more recipes once I've come up with a few more winners. Most of the stuff I've done so far is quick and thrown together.