Rhabdo!

RHABDO ---rhabdomyolosis-- the breakdown of muscle fibers that leads to the release of muscle fiber contents (myoglobin) into the bloodstream. I got it yesterday, and feel stupid. I'm writing partly to help you avoid this...if your urine is orange after a hard workout, something is probably wrong.

I've been doing crossfit training since the beginning and never got the "evil crossfit" affliction. I recently transitioned from strength/oly priority to METCONs in prep for open and joined a box (normally train hard on own). I think that the significant strength i have gained allowed me to push the METCONS too hard.  I had also increased my Creatine, and started using a little PWO with caffeine and I am sure I didn't hydrate enough... big duh!

So the rhabdo is minor with slight orange urine and a little redness in stool. I feel fine (overtrained)... immediately hit the hydration hard and resting...color has gone away... anything else I need to do to help protect kidneys? Electrolytes? Buffering agents? Not going to M.D. unless it gets worse, or continues...

Dont really need to here the "crossfit is bad" stuff -- I did it to myself.. nobody had a gun to my head...especially when I ran 4 miles after the workout...

Thanks

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I work in healthcare and have seen a few crossfitters come in over the last few years with rhabdo. This shit is kind of serious, and I'd suggest you go get checked out. I'm not in a position to give medical advice, but I'd hate to see you get laid up or worse simply because you think you've got it under control. The color is gone, and that's a good sign. Go and see your doctor and have some labs drawn. Have 'em test your urine, too. I'm sure that people on this forum might be able to give some good advice on the matter, but even so, I'd highly recommend at least seeing your doctor. Don't chance it.

And, uh... Crossfit is bad.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

•  

and uh.... don't be stupid, rhabdo is completely agnostic as to how it is achieved because it follows a recipe not a brand, it is also more common in other sports/activities, period, crossfit bringing awareness to an already existing condition is like blaming pink ribbons for breast cancer.

Just curious, what other sports do you commonly see rhabdo in?

And isn't crossfit suppose to be training - if the answer is yes - wouldn't a training program that causes damage be considered ineffective at best?

If people wore a pink ribbon and then occasionally got breast cancer the analogy could be made. but you're making comparison to rhabo like people are walking around with it, sick already and crossfit just diagnoses it. Crossfit is not "bringing awareness" to a condition, due to ignorant people and over training it is CAUSING it.

If I had an exercise program that taught people to do heavy deadlifts with a double underhand grip and try to curl the bar as hard as possible while doing heavy deadlifts, and every so often people would "come down with" a bicep avulsion, I think it might be disingenuous to say my workout program brought awareness to bicep avulsions. 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014

Just curious, what other sports do you commonly see rhabdo in?

And isn't crossfit suppose to be training - if the answer is yes - wouldn't a training program that causes damage be considered ineffective at best?

If people wore a pink ribbon and then occasionally got breast cancer the analogy could be made. but you're making comparison to rhabo like people are walking around with it, sick already and crossfit just diagnoses it. Crossfit is not "bringing awareness" to a condition, due to ignorant people and over training it is CAUSING it.

If I had an exercise program that taught people to do heavy deadlifts with a double underhand grip and try to curl the bar as hard as possible while doing heavy deadlifts, and every so often people would "come down with" a bicep avulsion, I think it might be disingenuous to say my workout program brought awareness to bicep avulsions. 

There's only one other high-contact sport I can think of that can cause Rhabdo, at least in my experience. I developed it that one time when I spent the night wrecking Jason Miller's mother, so yeah. Dangerous stuff (but SO worth it).

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!