Kelp Powder

Any tips for taking Kelp Powder? It is the hardest supplement to get down. I'm pretty good with things that are a bit yucky if I know they are good for me but this takes me back to a drowning experience, it is very unpleasant.

Help I couldn't manage 200mg in water let alone 1g per day.

Comments

• Yes I should've got the pills but at the time I couldn't find the ones dave suggests so I went with the kelp powder brand he recommends not thinking how I would take it, anyway I will soldier on with the powder if I can work out a way to get it down, if not i will try to find the pills.
  • edited September 2012
    Maybe try and put something else in to counteract the taste. What's wrong is it bitter? Salty?

Maybe adding some mint or a sweetener like Stevia could help.
  • It's like drinking seawater with seaweed and its gritty, brown and very hard to swallow, I tried to imagine it was soup but...it's not. I'm sure it's the best way to get iodine, it must be. I will experiment over the next few days...it won't beat me image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • 'Lisa wrote:

It's like drinking seawater with seaweed and its gritty, brown and very hard to swallow, I tried to imagine it was soup but...it's not. I'm sure it's the best way to get iodine, it must be. I will experiment over the next few days...it won't beat me image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Keep at it, it took me a week to get used to that Lindt 90% dark chocolate. When the Kelp powder runs out I recommend a supplement I'm on. It's Life Extensions D3, Iodine and K2 combined.
  • It beat me...I'm sure it's a fab product but not for me, I've ordered Dr Kowalskis pure encapsulations potassium iodide capsules, should be easier to swallow.

Maybe the garden might like the kelp powder.
  • My recommendation would be to capsule the powder yourself and then swallow them rather than drink it.
  • Mix it with home made juice.
  • I know this thread is ~ 1 year old, but it came up in a search while I was trying to read how to take kelp powder. I also purchased the Now kelp powder recommended by Dave. 

But he says you should take 1 mg. 

1 mg is 1/1000th of a gram.  

If I'm understanding this correctly, Lisa H, you were trying to take 1000 times the recommended dose, which might pertain to why you had difficulty. 

I've read this "1 mg" recommendation multiple times, I keep going back and checking it, because it seems so small to me. I keep wondering if it's a type / mistake.