Toxin Free Cookware

StinkoStinko
edited January 2014 in General Discussion

So in an effort to eliminate the toxins I'm getting from all of my cookware, plastic Tupperware, plastic travel mugs etc. I will be gradually overtime, throwing out all my toxic-leaching garbage, and replacing it with completely inert, healthy options!!

First one down is I've already ordered this completely glass travel tumbler, to replace my plastic one for my BP coffee! Hopefully it works good. 

Next on my list is frying pans.

I've got a couple cast iron (which isn't completely inert, but is the best metallic option)

I still need to throw away all my horrible aluminum pans I've been using for the past years.

I'm looking at getting some natural clay pans, as they seem to be one of the very healthiest options!

Anyone have any recommendations?

I just came across these guys, they seem to be pretty slick.

Next after that, are some good Glass Tupperware.

What are recommendations on that?

I know Costco carries some very well priced Glass Pyrex sets; but I've read some bad reviews about the glass chipping on those particular ones...so not sure.

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Pyrex, mang. Pyrex. I use it for everything. I don't know about the ones you've read reviews for, but I can tell you that I've had a set of Anchor brand Pyrex dishes that have held up well for the two years or so I've owned them.

I bought a ceramic-coated frying pan. Its center is aluminum, but it's coated in a ceramic finish that keeps foods from sticking. Much more Bulletproof than the Teflon I was using in the past. If you were to go with something like this, which has a more natural coating, be sure to use non-metallic utensils and such when cooking with it. Mine is pretty dinged up and the coating is kind of in bad shape since I insisted on using my stainless steel spatula with it. Lol. In retropspect, bamboo or something similar would have been preferable.

And yeah, overall cast iron is pretty cool. Not perfect, but one of the better options as long as you take good care of it.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Yeah ceramic can be good; but beware I've read you have to make sure the enamel they use is lead/cadmium free as many so called "healthy" ceramic pans (esp ones coming from china/mexico etc.) will leach crap into your food as well.

Oh also I'll probably look into some alternative utensils too!

Bamboo spatulas? Perhaps some Olivewood ones from Italy?

Anyone familiar with TerraCotta Clay pans? Heard, like ceramic, all are not created equal and some can be toxic.

• What's the best wooden utensils??

For toxicity, ease-of-use, etc?

I know just because things are natural, it doesn't mean they are necessarily healthy to ingest, so do some woods used leach unwanted stuff?

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Toxin free cookware is impossible, so you have to go with whats best.

Non pre-treated cast iron

Glass cookware

Enameled Cookware From Germany

Enameled Cast Iron

Silcone coated bakeware

Stoneware

Stainless steel / organic wooden utensils

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Pyrex for sure!

La Creuset enameled cast iron is pretty good too. A bit expensive but very good.

• Bamboo utensils are glued strips of bamboo. It's often the same glue/ process used to make flooring. Same with bamboo cutting boards.
  • StinkoStinko
    edited March 2014

Some are.... Don't get those.   You can get bamboo that is one solid piece.

Also, John mentioned Silicone....but I've found some sources indicating that is also not as inert as it's made out to be.

• I've done a good amount of research on this and the safest material to cook with (besides clay, which seems to be the best at first glance), is titanium.  A NaturalNews article points this out here, and Daniel Vitalis messaged me back saying titanium would be the way to go for safe cookware.

Now the trick is finding a brand that actually sells a frying pan made with their coating of 100% titanium.  The only brand I found is Titanium Cookware Collection

I'm still skeptical of the clay pans because of the metals they can sometimes naturally have

• What is so bad about stainless steel cookware?

Toxin free cookware is impossible, so you have to go with whats best.

Non pre-treated cast iron

Glass cookware

Enameled Cookware From Germany

Enameled Cast Iron

Silcone coated bakeware

Stoneware

Stainless steel / organic wooden utensils

What is so bad about stainless steel cookware?

Nickel

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

Some are.... Don't get those.   You can get bamboo that is one solid piece.

Also, John mentioned Silicone....but I've found some sources indicating that is also not as inert as it's made out to be.

Even if the silicone isn't inert it is still just silicon dioxide. Better than PTFE.

• 18/10 Stainless steel is 10% nickel.  I can't imagine that it is so bad but I actually haven't thought about it.

18/10 Stainless steel is 10% nickel.  I can't imagine that it is so bad but I actually haven't thought about it.

It is a very real issue. Especially if you are allergic to nickel.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1514841

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf402400v

• Has anyone tried Visions ("non-porous glass-ceramic material which won't absorb food odors or flavors or react with acid-based foods") or Xtrema (100% ceramic, made in China)?

• Dave recommends thin enamel-coated cookware in an older podcast.

• Looks like there is some 18/0 stainless steel (although no longer properly stainless) cookware out there - no nickel:

http://www.thenutritioncoach.com.au/anti-ageing/the-right-tools/

• mistamista
    edited November 2015

Has anyone tried Visions ("non-porous glass-ceramic material which won't absorb food odors or flavors or react with acid-based foods") or Xtrema (100% ceramic, made in China)?

I have 1 large pan from Xtrema (Mercola), a large pot, and a smaller pot.  These are my favorite things to cook in (compared with my cast iron, stainless steel, and old non-stick calphalon cookware.)  It's a little sketchy since they're made in China, but they do work well -- food doesn't stick, they clean very easily, and the heat distribution is even.  I wouldn't mind getting a few more pieces from them, although I might feel a little more confident about the materials from a company like Le Creuset.

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this post was over a year old.   :smile:

• I have 1 large pan from Xtrema (Mercola), a large pot, and a smaller pot.  These are my favorite things to cook in (compared with my cast iron, stainless steel, and old non-stick calphalon cookware.)  It's a little sketchy since they're made in China, but they do work well -- food doesn't stick, they clean very easily, and the heat distribution is even.  I wouldn't mind getting a few more pieces from them, although I might feel a little more confident about the materials from a company like Le Creuset.

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this post was over a year old.   :smile:

Don't think it matters that the thread is over a year old.  It is relevant today bc people like me are researching stuff and we have the same questions.  Yes, I'm looking to replace our cookware.  Loving the info and links.   

• What is the healthiest cookware and why do people crave these sets so much? With the cookware market saturated with new gimmicky cookware, healthy cookware takes a back seat.

To make things worse, manufacturers and distributors are not even honest about labeling their cookware as toxic.

Thankfully there is a lot of information that is available on healthy cooking online.

See this page http://www.stonefryingpans.com/healthiest-cookware/

Top 10 Healthiest Cookware healthiest cookware listed in order of preference based on research.

Hopefully this list will help serve you well when you purchase your healthy pots and pans.
  • I've been trying to use all glass so that I don't have to worry about that. I still have some plastic ones that I use, but I'm slowly trying to get rid of those as well. 

edited February 2016

Bought another ceramic-coated frying pan based on Sparefilms' recommendation and it works like a dream. Still use Pyrex and cast iron for nearly everything else. I do have some plastic containers, but I only use them for storage purposes. I don't heat 'em.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• Bought another ceramic-coated frying pan based on Sparefilms' recommendation and it works like a dream. Still use Pyrex and cast iron for nearly everything else. I do have some plastic containers, but I only use them for storage purposes. I don't heat 'em.

What pan did you end up getting? I use cast iron for pretty much everything, but sometimes I get tired of cleaning it 2-3 times a day.

What pan did you end up getting? I use cast iron for pretty much everything, but sometimes I get tired of cleaning it 2-3 times a day.

It's a Green Life ceramic pan, a small one. Works really well for eggs, especially. Cooking eggs in cast iron, no matter how seasoned, has always been a nightmare for me. It's been about 2 months and I have no complaints so far.

• Carbon steel are best skillets. Google "cooks illustrated carbon steel" for a good short YouTube review.

Enamel cast iron like leaving crueset aND just Reg cast iron also . Latter adds iron and is heavy.
  • Never heard of these. Are they the in terms of not leaching heavy metals? 

• Cooking eggs in cast iron, no matter how seasoned, has always been a nightmare for me.

That's why I am looking for a new pan. I love cast iron, but its a pain in the ass to clean constantly because its heavy and you can't use soap to clean it.

That's why I am looking for a new pan. I love cast iron, but its a pain in the ass to clean constantly because its heavy and you can't use soap to clean it.

Would recommend a good ceramic-coated pan, then. As long as you don't cook in it above a 'medium' setting and refrain from using metal utensils on it, it should last a while. My eggs slide out of the thing like a dream no matter how I prepare them.

• Borosilicate glass cookware, surgical steel cookware, and unglazed ceramic clay cookware are the absolute safest cookware possible. Stay away from aluminum, non-surgical steel cookware. I looked high and low for cookers/multicookers/crockpots that had one of these materials, and I can only find one: https://vitaclaychef.com.

You can probably look up Borosilicate glass cookware on Amazon and surgical steel pots and pans.. but as far as actual electronic multicookers or crock pots, I'd go with VitaClay.

Ad

• I like ceramic and ceramic coated. All the ceramic coated is cadmium-fee and lead free. The very best is 100% ceramic, but the handles get hot. Nonstick aluminum is so unhealthy.

• Silit from Germany all the way
    Only ceramic coated cast iron Le Crueset