New York Times Article Against High Protein, Low Carb Diets

I saw this article in the New York Times yesterday that says these sorts of diets make you lose weight by shedding water, not fat. Would be curious if anyone here has a good response to this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/health/nutrition/q-and-a-are-high-protein-low-carb-diets-effective.html?_r=1

Comments

• The study on which the conclusions of this guy are based is a study in the American Journal of Physiology by Leibel et al. named "A comparative study of different means of assessing long-term energy expenditure in humans". For starters, the aim of the study wasn't even to compare diets but to compare measures of energy expenditure. It used an experimental design in which 20 (!) persons received for 2 weeks (!) a liquid formula diet in which the only fat used is corn oil (!).

I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Well I doubt the seriously big losers doing Paleo, etc just lost water. The water weight is one of the first things to go but once that's gone, it's either fat or muscle for the rest. And because programs suchas bulletproof ensure you've got the nutrients required to either maintain or even gain muscle mass it means the only thing left to go is fat.

I'm sure others on here could point to scientific evidence to back it up.
  • edited September 2012
    *ignore - double post*
  • edited August 2013

And because programs suchas bulletproof ensure you've got the nutrients required to either maintain or even gain muscle mass it means the only thing left to go is fat.

This hasn't been the case for me, all the muscle mass I had added this year as gone plus some more, I was 12st ish and at my low I have been down to 11st 4lbs. How much protein in grams should I be eating on BP?, because I read in the comments of a BP article and I think it was Bulletproof intern who said the maintenance level was 40g a day.

I find it hard that I am not blasting past that even though the last few weeks I have changed my meat from beef to lamb. Also since doing BP - first started about 9 weeks ago with just BP coffee - I stopped my 3x a week exercise because I wasn't feeling well - tbh I havent felt awesome really on this diet, I have had a few day period were I felt really good - figuring it would be better not doing it until I had managed to tweak the diet.
    There is a vegetarian option... You can fuck off - Frankie Boyle
  • BrianHKerrBrianHKerr Quantified Biohacker
    Keto diets need heavy protein at first to compensate for glycogen drops early in the transition. I recommend 1-2g per lb of lean body mass. As the body become more fat adapted 3days -3weeks you can lower that to much lower levels. Another thing to consider is physical activity... if you do cardio/str train at all, your protein requirements go up drastically.

In my experience, I feel great on no food and pure protein/fat meals. If I ever carb-up I feel like crap that day, then pretty good by the next day... but I am on a very ketogenic based diet with minimal carbs... I am under the school of thought that thinks most carbs should come from dark chocolate and alcohol.
  • edited September 2012
    Keto diets need heavy protein at first to compensate for glycogen drops early in the transition. I recommend 1-2g per lb of lean body mass. As the body become more fat adapted 3days -3weeks you can lower that to much lower levels. Another thing to consider is physical activity... if you do cardio/str train at all, your protein requirements go up drastically. In my experience, I feel great on no food and pure protein/fat meals. If I ever carb-up I feel like crap that day, then pretty good by the next day... but I am on a very ketogenic based diet with minimal carbs... I am under the school of thought that thinks most carbs should come from dark chocolate and alcohol.

Thanks, think am going to try this when I get back off my holiday and when I have ran out of my Lamb I think I will move back to Beef Shoulder.

Edit: I thought I would sit down and work out all the protein/fat/carb contain of my food, my diet is very samey so it wasn't to hard image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> , and it looks like in total my macros come to 385g a day 245g of that is fat and for protein and carbs they was both around 70g, which means i think am a lil under for both protein/carbs.
    There is a vegetarian option... You can fuck off - Frankie Boyle
  • edited September 2012
    Right off the bat the article is nonsense because most low carb programs are not high protein as people suppose, they are high fat. My macros are typically in the range of 69% fat, 22% protein, 9% carbs. Protein in grams runs around 75-95 most days.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭

Keto diets need heavy protein at first to compensate for glycogen drops early in the transition. I recommend 1-2g per lb of lean body mass. As the body become more fat adapted 3days -3weeks you can lower that to much lower levels. Another thing to consider is physical activity... if you do cardio/str train at all, your protein requirements go up drastically.

In my experience, I feel great on no food and pure protein/fat meals. If I ever carb-up I feel like crap that day, then pretty good by the next day... but I am on a very ketogenic based diet with minimal carbs... I am under the school of thought that thinks most carbs should come from dark chocolate and alcohol.
    Chocolate and alcohol, LOL! Love it.