Ashwagandha, Bacopa And Gotu Kola

I'm making a stack with the ingredients Gotu Kola, Ashwagandha, Bacopa, Dried Ginger, and Lemongrass. In what ratio should I combine these? I would like a ratio for 1 cup of tea by the gram. Then I can figure out for the 1lb of each I have. All ingredients are dried herbs used for tea. My reason for taking this mix of herbs is a follows: I have read up on the Ayurveda herbs and the effect they have on memory, cognition, anxiety, depression, and the antioxidants they contain are profound. I was taking clonazepam(Klonopin)for 7 years for a very crippling social anxiety disorder and felt myself losing my mind. I was also an alcoholic consuming a 12pk a day of 6% abv. Really! I would compare my CNS to that of a person with alzheimers. Not even a joke. My memory and other functions were/are that bad. I have been off those for between 3 to 4 months now and my brain is healing slowly. Can be up to 2 years for a full recovery. I am also taking Clonodine for sleeping. I so badly want to replace and stop taking prescription medication. I am also taking 2mg of bupenorphine a day too. Its time to make myself healthy and this is a good start but I would like all the input I can get on the correct dosage for these herbs and other input on more cognition boosters. I have such a hard time socially. Struggling to find the right words to say and often I end up fumbling my words searching for a response to a question posed: or engaging in banter. Seems I just can't find the right words to say. I am very intelligent and have a lot to talk about but I find myself pretty incoherent in most situations. I am planning on infusing(brewing tea)these 3 times daily. Can I make multiple infusions throughout the day? Also, I hear that these make a person a bit tired. Should I put something else in this stack, i.e. yerba mate, oolong tea...., or just drink my mate and tea separate? I am a 30yr old w male 5'11" and 150Lbs. I eat quite a bit of almonds and have been thinking about adding creatine to my daily. Anything else you think of please help. I was quite sociable on the clonazepam and long to be again.

I'm the First, the Best and the Last!

¯ Ì¿¯Ì¿Ì¿¯Ì¿Ì¿¯Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿)͇̿̿)Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿ ‘̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿̿̿ Ì¿(Ì¿(̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿̿ Ì¿

Comments

• Hello, I am back and have some great news for all who would look at this. I have found the answer I have been looking for. My anxiety has been greatly diminished for one. Two, the panic I feel when I get stressed is at a low so I am able to think clearly through a situation. Three, my memory has been greatly enhanced. I will catch a memory often of something than happened to me when I was 11 or remember a certain even from the name max or whatever. I brew a tea every day in the morning which consists of three teaspoons (3 grams) gotu kola, 1 teaspoon (2 grams) bacopa, and 1 teaspoon (5 grams) ashwagandha, a pinch of lemongrass for taste and 2 or 3 slices of dried ginger for stomach and taste. I make multiple infusions from this up to 3 cups and brew for 15 minutes. My cup size is 10 oz to 12 oz and I make a whole 32 oz thermos at one time. I have one of those teavana perfectea 16 oz makers and I make my first cup of tea each day as a bulletproof tea with the upgraded brain octaine, pure indian foods grass-fed, pastured, organic cultured ghee and a scoop of Universal brand creatine. My other suppliments are 270 mg of magnesium at night, 2 caps of isotonix opc-3 beauty blend(get the beauty blend for extra d3s and es), 1 cap isotonix activated b complex and 1 cap Isotonix Vitamin D with K2 in the morning. I feel great all day long. I have lost about 10lbs in the past month or so and with bulletproofing my tea I am so full of energy while feeling full all morning from a grapefruit for breakfast and 2 oz of truely raw almonds for lunch(there is a loophole in the american system for calling raw almonds raw while they are really pasturized and sterilized with chemicals. So if you buy your raw almonds in the store or from a farm chances are they are not raw. Found a vey good farmer on ebay for truely raw almonds.) My depression has been gone for some time now and my congition has improved immensely. I've found only one drawback to this stack and that would be, this is only speculation, my hair is thinning a little bit more from these being virility enhancing(i.e. increased testosterone leads to hair loss in some cases).  I'm still a stumbling over my words, stuttering fool, but at least I make sense half of the time. I'm going to continue taking this stack for a long time. This has done wonders

¯ Ì¿¯Ì¿Ì¿¯Ì¿Ì¿¯Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿â€™Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿)͇̿̿)Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿Ì¿ ‘̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿̿̿ Ì¿(Ì¿(̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿’̿̿̿̿̿’̿̿̿ Ì¿

• I'm glad you posted this.. I about to start a similar stack and hoping for good results like you had.  I suffer from long standing depression, anxiety and panic and think this is a good stack for these symptoms.  I am going to do tinctures 2x day of ashwaganda, gotu kola, bocopa, and adding holy basil as well.  If you come back to this thread please give an update of how its going ! Ayurveda nerve herbs rock 

• Where do you get Bacopa?  The best source I can find still has an unacceptable level of metals for my liking.

• edited July 2014

Its been 6 months since I started this thread and, wow, what a difference. My mental clarity has been the highest it's ever been. I am off all prescription medications now and have, since, started stacking with 10mg sublingual noopept, through the vendor, (Health Supplement Wholesalers (tested pure))! My daily morning ritual doesn't change when it comes to this herbal stack. I add together, into one of the 16oz teavana infusers, 3 teaspoons Gotu Kola, 2 teaspoons Bacopa(Brahmi), 1 teaspoon of Ashwaghanda Root, 3 pinches of lemongrass and a pinch of ginger. All herbs bought through the organic herb site Mountain Rose Herb.

Memory retention has been amazing. Focus is outstanding. I have not one complaint.

I just recently upped the bacopa to 2tsp and the anxiety relief is equal to 2mg of clonazepam. Which is exactly what I need. When I say I have anxiety, I'm talking about the babbling, incoherant, ackward social kind, and I am one of those people that actually need the benzo to be social. Too bad they fried my mind, but this blend completely does the trick for about 4-5 hours.

I make 3 infusions of this with the first one being a 10oz cup with half tablespoon of raw organic honey, a tablespoon of creatine, and a tablespoon of grassfed, organic ghee, Which I make myself(easy as pie, and a whole ton cheaper!). I have a 32oz thermos I put the remaining 2 16oz infusions into for when I need a bit more confidence.

Since starting the noopept I have gained a somewhat better verbal fluidity when I talk to other people now. I am actually starting a sales job next week. If someone were to tell me I would be doing that 6 months ago I would tell them to go jump off a bridge.

I eat a completely organic diet (95%) and drink and cook with distilled water. My other supplements right now are the Isotonix OPC-3 Beauty Blend, D3 with K2 and the Activated B Vitamins by Isotonix too. I have a co-q-10 by them too I never take.

On my list of additional supplements to take are a 12.5mg Iodine pill ( Natural Vitality magnesium supp(one of the best and recommended by Dave) http://www.ebay.com/itm/360896688232?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and a higher potency D3, K2 which contains 2,000 IU of Vitamin D3 and 1,000 mcg of Vitamin K2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281357296093?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I also want to start making my own CILTEP as soon as I can source all of the ingredients together.

If anyone can think of anything else that might be benificial please let me know. I will keep checking back.

• NickatNickat
    edited July 2014

How are you measuring your better response rate while taking the above? Is it a personal indication measured through how you feel  (anxiety levels and confidence) or maybe also combined with noticeable physical changes such as being less startled by noises (maybe less sweats) etc..?

The raw organic honey, tablespoon of creatine, tablespoon of grass fed organic ghee sounds great.

What was your thinking behind that working well for more confidence?

You never take the COQ10 but have them. You should really search some of the threads here as they are amazing combinations of things like PPQ and Shilajit and a host of other stuff you could combine it with for promoting your  mitochondrial energy:

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/10479-coenzyme-q10/?hl=ppq

• edited July 2014

Personal response, other people I'm with all the time commenting on what a difference all this has made. So they see the results, too. I want to start dual N-back gaming. That would show quantifiable results. It all has made the healing/transformation my brain has made, through stopping substances, all the more quick and bearable.

I first got the idea of throwing creatine into the mix from dave's step 6: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/upgrade-your-brain/

About the ghee, I wanted to have it be "bulletproofed" but I didn't want the lactose/casein associated with even Kerrygold's butter. Ghee is clarified butter which has all of its casein removed through evaporation. And the raw organic honey would provide a sweet finish while still providing a medical benefit. I also only get my honey from our local apiary. http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-raw-organic-honey-9105.html

Bacopa is kind of rough on the stomach so I wanted to find things that would be of a digestive benefit. Which is why I put in ginger as well as the honey. It is delicious and it calms the stomach. I forgot why I decided to use lemongrass besides for taste, but I found a good nutritional value chart for lemongrass. http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/lemongrass.html

• NickatNickat
    edited July 2014

Your infusions sound pretty awesome and worth tweaking here and there.

Think we will try that at some point. Love the ginger idea.

At the moment (Nick) is on another RFLP after a deliberate break of a month from the first round of 6 weeks.

The creatine and whey in a vanilla shake with resistant starch works well. Sometimes raw honey is added to it too.

Kinda interesting it`s along the same path...kinda.

We will not be taking Bacopa but glad it works for you. We have read that some people suffer badly from taking it etc....and sleep suffers too. That hasn't been your experience so pretty cool to hear.

Can you talk a little more about the benefits of Gotu Kola and how that works well for you?

• Fantastic to hear this, and thank you for sharing your results!

I've read several reports around the web about Gotu Kola being particularly powerful for anxiety / social anxiety.

Getting mine this week, will see how I go.

I personally didn't notice anything from Ash, but have tried Rhodiola and found modest benefit: specifically, reduced physiological "stress" - e.g. my body goes into fight-or-flight with less frequency/intensity. Able to "cope" better.  Also more energy and increased endurance in interval training (KB swings jump from 75 to 100).

Still, it didn't really move the needle much on mental/emotional anxiety, or affect my behaviour/emotions in social situations.  Looking forward to trying Gota.

• edited July 2015

Update with Gotu Kola:

Noticable positive results. It took away a component of anxiety I didn't know was even really "there" 

For me it's very hard to describe the effect well.  There's no tangible blanket of calm, or buzz of well-being.

I just feel more... OK inside.  Where there was once an edge, now there isn't. Still experience mental/emotional reactions, but... less intense.

I feel naturally more "mindful", less gripped by reaction and more "myself".

It's a different effect from Rhodiola, and complimentary.

I've surprised myself several times engaging with people on Gotu - more talkative, friendly, assertive, less embarassed at awkward moments.

Feel old habits/behaviours come on, and I get a sense of "really? this again? there's gotta be a better way to handle this", and notice myself thinking more creatively about the situation and "trying on" different approaches, instead of just automatically playing out the same old pattern. "Neurological flexibility" perhaps?

And it feel easier to just go ahead and put out a friendly energy. Doesn't transform my personality, but the effect is there.

Also seem to feel less worry and mental tension when thinking about business challenges. Less anxious looping over and over, less churning the "same old thoughts". Just more quiet determination to find a way, even if I can't see one immediately.

Definitely feeling the benefits with this one.  

Would fully recommend Gotu Kola and Rhodiola for stress and anxiety, as the OP did. 

FYI I'm taking NOW Gotu Kola, 450mg  pills 2x a day.  Will probably cycle off, maybe 2-3 days a week to stop any downregulation.

• dipsetdipset
    edited July 2017

Has there been any updates from you Devian Dream Walker or anyone else who tried the Ashwaghanda, gotukoa and bacopa with Ghee.