Nitric Oxide, Lobsters, Telomeres, And Aging.

I was reading this article about lobsters, and how they produce telomerase which keeps their telomeres intact and stops them from deteriorating with age. It then went on to speak about how Nitric Oxide helps to maintain telomeres in humans.

I thought I'd share the article here: http://blog.grasslandbeef.com/bid/88973/Lobsters-Telomeres

Discuss.

Comments

• NickatNickat
    edited March 2014

Bet Ponce de Leon's search for the elusive Fountain of Youth or Qin Shi Huang search of an Elixir of Life would have liked to have known about that stuff.

Here`s a graph on how Leonard Hayflick (http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/genetic/hayflick-limit2.htm) had discovered that there was a clock ticking in every dividing cell of our body and how telomere shortening correlates with regard to age taken with blood cell counts:

chart.jpg

Environmental factors are known to be associated with telomeres and heritable changes in gene activity are not always caused by changes in the DNA sequence. There are positive factors that do change and lengthen the chain such as Omega 3 fatty acids, L-Carnosine, Vitamin D, Fiber intake and some forms of vitamin E. Then there are some factors that shorten the length. These can be said to be more of a lifestyle choices. Things like obesity, alcohol, smoking and processed foods. Generally those that suffer from the unwanted shorter telemere chains are the ones that have made bad lifestyle choices combined with bad food choices. Sometimes it is just bad luck and it is thought to have been heredity.

Interestingly reproductive cells do not exhibit telomere shortening, and show no signs of aging because the cell division is always on. It`s understandable then that in males this is maybe why males can still help reproduce at an older age through alive sperm whereas woman lose their capabilities earlier on and their bodies can`t conceive. Turning off or having this indefinite cell division turned off might be a good thing though as if a cancer patient (for example) you might want this as a preventative spread of cancer cells. From my understanding the cells are not the cause of cancer but a vessel of transport in the DNA.

Stem cell therapy sorta works by this activation process in that it is turned on again and new young cells replace the old or at least replenish the missing cells. Its certainly a talking point but science has not yet proven that telomeres can produce cellular immortality. Maybe one day this and stem cell research will contribute to the possibilities of extending our lives through this knowledge for sure.

Until then the good old calorie restricted diet and when we can afford it PPQ with acetyl L-carnitine and R-alpha lipoic acid  and Vitamin D will be what we take. Oh, and good lifestyle choices.

For those of you who can afford it and want to try telomerase activation capsules look here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251273888299?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

Certainly love to hear from any N=1 experiments on taking that stuff.

• NickatNickat
    edited March 2014

Lets talk about the Nitric oxide, So it has been found that boosting NO has helped maintain telomeres and reduced the number of the cells that died, maybe even grow them. So what is so special about the NO? It seems it is basically some sort of L-arginine complex that can be found in food types like red meats, nuts, spinach, lettuce  eggs and some seafood. In the supplement form it is made up of L-arginine (L-arginine, arginine hydrochloride, arginine aspartate (a derivative of arginine), Ibuprofen arginine (a derivative of Ibuprofen)). It is this compound it converts into NO after consumption and causes blood vessels to open wider for improved blood flow.  These forms are said to help maintain your telomeres. The supplementation of NO changes the body composition. Various bodily chemical changes occur. These are said to to be: high potassium, high chloride, low sodium, low phosphate, high blood urea nitrogen and high creatinine levels. Importantly the stimulants for growth hormones. Doctor’s give arginine injections to increase NO levels in the body (inducing the secretion of more human growth hormones). R-GENE 10 is a prescription only drug for these type of injections. The rate of absorption of the delivery is what makes this special. Like intravenous the absorption rate of injecting is about 98%. Supplementation by pills or tablets only 10% - 40% and so on. It has been pointed out that if supplementing with 50mg daily of arginine , citrulline will maximizes the effectiveness of arginine.There is another form that can be taken. Vapour form and is said to work in just 9 secs.This is naNOX9 and contains L-arginine, xanthinol (a drug prepared from theophyllline) and niacin (nicotinic acid) and L-arginine, Leucine , yohimbine HCI. So from my basic understanding it is the stimulation of human growth hormones and it’s delivery system that has contributed to the lengthening of telomeres chains.

Lastly lets talk about Lobsters and Aging. Oh yeah we know about that already:

"They only die if they get eaten or injured from a predator, or get a rare disease, but never from old age.

They don’t have a built-in life expectancy in their cells".

• What nitric oxide supplement should I take?
  • NickatNickat
    edited March 2014

Decided to give the supposed delivery system of naNOX9 a miss. The arginine product found in it seemed low and other products have just as much or more arginine in them anyway. It’s not cost effective for us. For this reason will be focused more on the citrulline as a so called catalyst (L-Citrulline Malate Complex) and never taken in excessive volumes.

As an experiment have decided to test TLN HGH Powder, Pure L-Arginine, L-Ornithine, L-Lysine Amino Mix as a baseline and then will compare it to L-Arginine and L-Citrulline taken together. Have noticed that the “mixed already” combo’s contain other things so will be buying powdered forms of L-Arginine and L-Citrulline separately when we do get them.

Please remember when talking about NO under this context it’s about aging. It’s not about building muscles quicker or reducing the catabolism effect. Creatine and bcaa might be better options for that although this might help too.

You might like to also search about the UCLA pharmacologist Dr Louis J Ignarro, Nobel Prize winner in Medicine for his work on nitric oxide. He showed that NO has an important signaling compound that helps the body regulate key functions such as blood pressure and preventing blood clots that can cause strokes.
    Sounds BP to us.

• Hi All,

You will probably find this TED talk interesting.

It's by a Dermatologist, Richard Weller, who was researching whether sunlight was good for your heart? He talks about nitric oxide in the skin potentially reducing blood pressure. Might be from the same study you mentioned about at UCLA as part of the study Weller talks about was in LA and part was in Glasgow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh9lDWPMWrM

• I'm seeing good results with just Citrulline alone. My veins are so much more visible now and my blood pressure is stable ~115/75. 

Decided to give the supposed delivery system of naNOX9 a miss. The arginine product found in it seemed low and other products have just as much or more arginine in them anyway. It’s not cost effective for us. For this reason will be focused more on the citrulline as a so called catalyst (L-Citrulline Malate Complex) and never taken in excessive volumes.

As an experiment have decided to test TLN HGH Powder, Pure L-Arginine, L-Ornithine, L-Lysine Amino Mix as a baseline and then will compare it to L-Arginine and L-Citrulline taken together. Have noticed that the “mixed already” combo’s contain other things so will be buying powdered forms of L-Arginine and L-Citrulline separately when we do get them.

Please remember when talking about NO under this context it’s about aging. It’s not about building muscles quicker or reducing the catabolism effect. Creatine and bcaa might be better options for that although this might help too.

You might like to also search about the UCLA pharmacologist Dr Louis J Ignarro, Nobel Prize winner in Medicine for his work on nitric oxide. He showed that NO has an important signaling compound that helps the body regulate key functions such as blood pressure and preventing blood clots that can cause strokes.
    Sounds BP to us.

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• Increasing NO too much will indirectly damage mitochondria. If you have more nitric oxyde, the body will produce more peroxynitrite. Peroxynitrite can damage the respirationary chain of mitochondria and it will lowers ATP production. It seems to lead to organ shrinkage. Worst of all, increasing NO exponentially increase Peroxynitrite(I may be wrong on this one).

I read a lot about the premature aging of hair follicle in balding scalp, and this is what causes baldness and shrinkage of hair follicles. If you increase NO, you may want to add SOD (superoxide dismutase) to decrease formation of peroxynitrite.

If you want to increase NO, I read somewhere that modafinil will increase it (but I don't know if the source is valid).

• Increasing NO too much will indirectly damage mitochondria. If you have more nitric oxyde, the body will produce more peroxynitrite. Peroxynitrite can damage the respirationary chain of mitochondria and it will lowers ATP production. It seems to lead to organ shrinkage. Worst of all, increasing NO exponentially increase Peroxynitrite(I may be wrong on this one).

I read a lot about the premature aging of hair follicle in balding scalp, and this is what causes baldness and shrinkage of hair follicles. If you increase NO, you may want to add SOD (superoxide dismutase) to decrease formation of peroxynitrite.

If you want to increase NO, I read somewhere that modafinil will increase it (but I don't know if the source is valid).

There is little evidence that superoxide dismutase products that are taken by mouth are absorbed by the body and they seem to only work if injected. What makes it slightly more complicated is the source of the product. If it was sourced from animals then this makes most humans sick. The enzyme is best said to be sourced from plants. I have no idea about modafinil and have no direct experience in taking any of the aforementioned above.

• There is little evidence that superoxide dismutase products that are taken by mouth are absorbed by the body and they seem to only work if injected. What makes it slightly more complicated is the source of the product. If it was sourced from animals then this makes most humans sick. The enzyme is best said to be sourced from plants. I have no idea about modafinil and have no direct experience in taking any of the aforementioned above.

Yes, most SOD won't survive your digestion. There is GliSODin which has more chance to surve and it may helps to some extents.

You can also  boost your SOD production. Many supplements will do this job.

Otherwise, mitochondria antioxidant may helps reduce oxidation from elevated NO. Coq10 (Ubiquinol and Ubiquinone), MitoQ, C60-OliveOil(maybe?), and more....

• Yes, most SOD won't survive your digestion. There is GliSODin which has more chance to surve and it may helps to some extents.

You can also  boost your SOD production. Many supplements will do this job.

Otherwise, mitochondria antioxidant may helps reduce oxidation from elevated NO. Coq10 (Ubiquinol and Ubiquinone), MitoQ, C60-OliveOil(maybe?), and more....

Any production of your body's ability to promote antioxidants at a cellular level are of course desired. I believe one of the forum members is researching and writting about this in a new book right now. It`s a shame he hasn`t contributed to this thread although I guess he has been busy too. The taking of any product usually comes down to two important things: The effectivness and then the cost. Usually this is followed by how convenient the process is.

It might be really cool for you to post your findings and/or experience here regarding the supplements you think will benefit us.

• NickatNickat
    edited September 2014

An old post from 2010 but shows the power of the natural nitrate-rich juice of beetroot:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101217091157.htm

Beetroot juice or cooked beetroot (they don't lose their properties because they are cooked) fall just behind the supplement NO. Could be useful if combined with L-Arginine and L-Citrulline. Careful though, beets feature poorly on Dave's infographic chart (AMBER) so keep it low at 500ml or less of juice a day.