Very High Ldl

Hello i am jilling from Holland. I am a personal trainer in my country and my hobby is biohacking.

I have a questionnaires for this forum i did a bloodtest for 12 biomarker from insidetracker with help from a company in Holland. When i received my tests my Ldl was very high

HDL: 50.66 Mg/dl

LDL: 240 Mg/dl

T: 132 Mg/dl

Totaal: 320 Mg/dl

I am a little bit concerned what can i do About it. 2 Days Before blood draw i trainde very hard on monday heavy back day and deadlifting on thuesday i trained Legs and wednesday morning they took my blood. Can anywann help me to become wisher and maybe change my dieet. I do intermittend fasting and bulletproof coffee my dieet is almost zal paleo thx in advance. ( excuse my language little bit rusty and typing on ipad)

Comments

• What were they like before?

Also will need to know more about your diet, preferably before and after.

• I dont have any befores and my dieet is bulletproof coffee in de morning with supplement vitamines and minerals About 2 o,clock i eat chicken with greens or beef or fish and mozzarella i also have 3 avocado's a week in de evening i eat diverse with al kind of food mexican, pasta speld, dutch food like kale with sausege and that,'s it i also eat alot of proteïne to grow beween 150 tot 200 grams
  • Ldl can rise in response to inflammation and mercury. Do you have any amalgam (silver) filings in your teeth?

• High Ldl is not necessarily a bad thing.. As Jason said, you need more markers to investigate further!

Many people who follow a bulletproof diet have high LDL cholesterol its the ratios of the other markers with your hdl and ldl that need to be considered.  I watched a podcast with dave about cholesterol with Jimmy Moore, his cholesterol is something like 420mg/dl and he wasnt worried as his other markers were good.. The podcast is here..

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/69-clearing-up-cholesterol-with-jimmy-moore/

\m/(>.<)\m/ www.trucke.co.uk - my rockband!! \m/(>.<)\m/

• To follow up on Jason's question: Did you consume any fructose before the draw, and how much of this do you consume in general?

• Hotspoons - gracias! I just got my tests back, and I also have high LDL, and I understand very little about cholesterol.

My tests also say that my "Total Cholesterol/HDL" ratio and my "Triglycerides/HDL" ratio are very good, so from what you said I guess I'm fine, but thanks for posting!

• You are not supposed to exercise for at least two days before the test because exercise raises LDL, it would Aldo be good if you showed more of the 12 markers, did you set triglycerides or hs-crp?

Thanks for this info, Jason. Wellness FX said not to exercise for 24 hours before the test, but that seemed a little fishy to me. I will use a 3-day buffer next time. 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭
    edited March 2014

How is your thyroid? There's a good article about low carb causing lower T3 and higher LDL...

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/09/high-ldl-on-paleo-revisited-low-carb-the-thyroid/

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited March 2014

How is your thyroid? There's a good article about low carb causing lower T3 and higher LDL...

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/09/high-ldl-on-paleo-revisited-low-carb-the-thyroid/

---

This is my latest area of research and concern as well. I have a lot of respect for Chris Masterjohn, and his explanation of why low T3 leads to higher LDL makes a lot of sense to me. Further, it totally makes sense that very low carb could lead the body to increase the rT3 to T3 ratio to slow down metabolism to conserve glucose. 

It is my view that high total LDL in and of itself is not the concern but rather a symptom of metabolic disfunction. HOWEVER everyone from Peter Attia to Jimmy Moore agrees it's LDL particle count that does matter. Somehow there is a common feeling in the paleo community that "LDL does not matter." This is a dangerous bastardization of Jimmy Moore and others' point that "high total LDL" does not matter. Which is true. But LDL particle count most certainly matters. 

So high total LDL could either mean ( A ) lots of total LDL distributed throughout a small number of particles, which is not dangerous, or ( B ) lots of total LDL distributed throughout a large number of particles, which is clearly, demonstrably very dangerous. So either get your numbers in order, or pay for an LDL particle count test. Alternatively, you could look at ApoB numbers, which is correlated to LDL particle count, but is not always reliable. So do you feel lucky? (In-depth discussion from Peter Attia here

I'm heading in the high LDL, low T3 direction, but I'm not quite there yet. But I've thought through my options. So if you are in the same boat, your options are:

1) Take thyroid drugs (Dave has said he takes T3 and is weaning off, but it's not clear if this is is for cholesterol purposes) 

2) Increase refeed frequency

3) Increase refeed quantity

4) Go higher carb

5) Something else? Please make suggestions. 

EDIT: 6) obviously check thyroid-related micronutrients too 

All will require a change, and all will require further blood testing to establish efficacy. I have not yet decided which route I'll take. 

BTW my last numbers on 50-70g net carbs daily were:

LDL: 131 (up from 92 on Slow Carb diet) 

HDL: 54  (same on SCD)

Trig: 133 (was 208 on SCD but I'd had some protein powder before the draw)

Total: 212 (up from 188) 

LPa: 11

ApoB: 100

CRP: 1.6

TSH: 2.3

T3: 80 (rock bottom of "healthy" range) 

fT3: 3.4 (looks like lower end of "healthy" range)

T4: 6.5

fT4: 1.3

Tuptake: 34 (higher end of "healthy" range) 

rT3: 16 (middle of range) 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

I've been reading more about it too. It doesn't help that I'm not very good at understanding a lot of this stuff!

My TSH went from 1.48 to 2.22 in a month during my eggs and butter experiment. (I would have more detail but in Australia they only do TSH unless there's a reason to dig further.) I was pretty low carb in that month. My cholesterol was already high, too.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

It doesn't help that I'm not very good at understanding a lot of this stuff!

---

The Peter Attia article I linked to in my last post is part of a 6 or 7 part series. I'm guessing you've read it, but if not, it's the best primer on cholesterol I've come across. Really made me feel like I was starting to get a handle on everything. 

With thyroid I'm on less-sure footing. I don't like the casual writing style at Stop the Thyroid Madness, e.g. talking about proper rT3 to T3 ratio but failing to include units. 

• My latest Lipids are interesting reading.

Blood drew at 4am, fasted, after 7hrs of good sleep and in the middle of a training cycle. bold italic figures are the my panel from the same month in 2015, almost exactly 12 months ago. 

Cholesterol  8.08 <5.0 mmol/L  8.21

HDL 2.20 >1.0 mmol/L 2.20

Triglycerides 1.00 <2.0 mmol/L 1.06

LDL  5.40 <3.0 mmol/L 5.56

Chol:HDL ratio 3.67 <4.0 ratio 3.73

Doctors comments:

The total cholesterol level of 8.08 is  higher than recommended by most authorities, and the LDL (the component of cholesterol that is associated with development of cardiovascular disease) is also high at 5.4 - most authorities prefer it to be below 2.5. The ratio formed by dividing cholesterol by HDL is probably the better guide to primary risk from cholesterol (ie the risk from cholesterol alone, if there is no established heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes for example) - at 3.67 it is lower than the ideal score of 5 or lower, which implies your risk of developing heart disease from cholesterol induced damage alone may be lower than the headline total suggests. However, the high total and LDL level levels would be considered by most authorities to suggest that statin medication (to lower these values) should be considered. Your absolute risk of developing heart and vascular disease is dependent on a number of factors however, including weight, blood pressure, whether you smoke or are diabetic or not, and family history. I suggest you make an appointment to discuss the implications for you with your usual GP.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• High Ldl is not necessarily a bad thing.. As Jason said, you need more markers to investigate further!

Many people who follow a bulletproof diet have high LDL cholesterol its the ratios of the other markers with your hdl and ldl that need to be considered.  I watched a podcast with dave about cholesterol with Jimmy Moore, his cholesterol is something like 420mg/dl and he wasnt worried as his other markers were good.. The podcast is here..

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/69-clearing-up-cholesterol-with-jimmy-moore/

I would not use Jimmy Moore as a reference for anything

https://t.co/hNN2ztjK8R

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I would not use Jimmy Moore as a reference for anything

https://t.co/hNN2ztjK8R

Holy shit. Wtf happened to him.

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

wow. look at how much those ketones enhance his performance though! yeah, you can't touch that! and the endurance...3 whole minutes of singing and he's only a little out of breath, lets see you do THAT on carbs! 

that might come across as a little mean, and i realize "everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about", but geez man, how is that guy getting away with selling books about health and weight loss? is it that down-home southern accent? are people really THAT eager for people to tell them to eat butter? is he like the donald trump of nutritional advice? "butter is the best health food there is, believe me!".  and keep in mind, this is one of Dave's go-to authorities on how to live a healthy lifestyle.