Help! My Stomach Really Hurts After Taking The Mct Oil.

Hi,

When I found out about Bulletproof coffee I started using NOW MCT oil with my coffee and I did just fine. I went thru 3 or 4 big bottles of it thru the months.

After I bought Dave's MCT Oil, it was like someone punched a hole inside my stomach. It literally hurts. The last time that something like this happened to me was when I was 11 years old and had to take very strong antibiotics.

I tried taking it with Enzymes, but nothing helped.

So I decided to just go back to NOW MCT oil.

Now, even NOW MCT oil makes me sick. I don't understand what's going on.

I don't have stomach problems. It's not heart burn. It actually hurts. Very weird.

Does anybody know what's wrong? Is there any enzyme I should be taking?

I would really appreciate the help!

Tagged:

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

How much of it are you taking?

• You're using too much MCT or too much butter.

I had this same problem at first, decrease the amount u are using and try again :)

• I don't think it's the quantity. I has no problem with NOW MCT oil before. And I used to use a ton of it.

It only started after I tried Upgraded MCT oil - And I only used a little bit. Not even a table spoon.

And my main concern is that like Dave explained, MCT oil helps with mental resilience - And I need that!!! 

So I need to figure out why his MCT oil, and now other MCT Oils are drilling a hole inside my stomach.

Thanks for both replies, but I don't think amount is the problem.

Any other ideas? 

Thanks you so much for the help!

• edited February 2014

Let me reiterate what happened because I left you guys confused:

When I found out about Bulletproof coffee, I started using the brand NOW MCT Oil. I used at least 2 or more tablespoons everytime. I went thru 3 or 4 bottles in 4 months. Never had any problem.

Then I bought Dave's Upgraded MCT Oil. And even a little bit of it made my stomach hurt. Doesn't matter how little I take, it punches a hole in my stomach and hurts. The only other time I felt this was when I took very strong antibiotics when I was a child.

I tried taking with Enzymes, but it didn't work. Maybe there are better enzymes out there.

So I decided to stop taking Dave's MCT Oil, and went back to NOW MCT Oil. The unfortunate part is that even NOW MCT OIl makes me sick.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

• This is where I wish I could downvote.
  • I have no idea what's going on...  

• HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!

Upgraded MCT is very strong. I often consume 2-3 TBS of  MCT every day and then none on a Sunday. Then back on Monday I even reduce the MCT and still get a bit of gastric distress, but next day im fine with about 30g of mct.

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

• HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!

What Enzymes are you using? I would make sure It has some sort of bile to assist with the fats.

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

• You probably have developed some problems with MCT's in general.  Going to Upgraded MCT was just a coincidence.

Could be inflammation, could be you've been low carb for too long etc..etc..etc...

MCT & Coconut oil made me deathly ill.  I had to start off with a teaspoon blended into a smoothie and work my way up.  Now I can do 3-5 Tbsp a day.

What else can you share with us about your situation?

• Hazakins - I was using the enzymes from Biotrust.

I will purchase the one that David recommends from Amazon called NOW Foods Betaine HCL which should help with the digestion of fat. Hopefully that will help with the MCT digestion. Thank you, Hazakins.

The funny thing is that I can still take as much butter or coconut oil on my coffee as I want. That doesn't make me sick at all.

Robin.Kate - I am not on a low carb diet. I am not in any diet at the moment. Also, I try to observe as much as possible my response to things I eat. And the pain in my stomach only started after I started taking Dave's MCT oil. I am sure. But I will try every enzyme possible to make sure this doesn't continue happening. I know how important MCT oil is. 

There isn't much about my situation. Since the problems with my stomach, now I take my Bulletproof coffee with lots of Ghee and Coconut Oil.

I am not in any sort of diet at the moment. But I will definitely try taking a very small portion of MCT oil and see what happens. Thank you, Robin.Kate

I will see what happens once I get the enzyme! Thanks!!

• Hazakins - I was using the enzymes from Biotrust.

I will purchase the one that David recommends from Amazon called NOW Foods Betaine HCL which should help with the digestion of fat. Hopefully that will help with the MCT digestion. Thank you, Hazakins.

The funny thing is that I can still take as much butter or coconut oil on my coffee as I want. That doesn't make me sick at all.

Robin.Kate - I am not on a low carb diet. I am not in any diet at the moment. Also, I try to observe as much as possible my response to things I eat. And the pain in my stomach only started after I started taking Dave's MCT oil. I am sure. But I will try every enzyme possible to make sure this doesn't continue happening. I know how important MCT oil is. 

There isn't much about my situation. Since the problems with my stomach, now I take my Bulletproof coffee with lots of Ghee and Coconut Oil.

I am not in any sort of diet at the moment. But I will definitely try taking a very small portion of MCT oil and see what happens. Thank you, Robin.Kate

I will see what happens once I get the enzyme! Thanks!!

I see what you did there.

• Zeke and Destroy - ????

• have you tried substituting coconut oil for the MCT to see if it has the same effect? you still get ketones it's just not as concentrated.

• SystemSystem mod
    edited February 2014

Zeke and Destroy - ????

You bolded words to piss off Jason Miller after he told you how it annoyed him -- or at least I thought you did. It would have been hilarious had you done it intentionally.

• She started using the upgraded stuff and developed an intolerance to all mct, how hard is it to understand lol.  

Ingredients wise, how do the NOW and the Upgraded compare?    

I was thinking about changing to the upgraded so this is good info.  

• Yes! Exactly! Thanks Charlie! That's the question I am asking!

She started using the upgraded stuff and developed an intolerance to all mct, how hard is it to understand lol.  

Ingredients wise, how do the NOW and the Upgraded compare?    

I was thinking about changing to the upgraded so this is good info.  

• Then could it be something the oil is leeching from the container?  The upgraded seems to be in some sort of plastic container whereas the now is in dark glass.  

Possibly irrelevant a friend of mine uses smooth peanut butter to remove stains from plastic and all nut butters I've seen have been in glass containers.  Cooking oil is put in plastic containers but its boiled to extreme temperatures.  Why do they put the upgraded in a plastic container?  Even the cheap coconut oil is put in glass bottles.  

• I used 1-3 servings of coconut oil per day and then ran into this same stomach issue when switching over to MCT Oil. My personal experience was taking less as previously mentioned as well as taking it with some solid food. That worked for me.

Also, Jason Miller, you don't have to be a complete ass-hat when someone is simply trying to figure out a problem. Socially awkward know-it-alls who creep over message boards, not a good look ,just be kind..

• Thank you mackiephresh, I really appreciate it!

I will try taking it with solid food. My stomach has not been the same since I started on David's MCT oil. Very weird, as we all know that his products are amazing. At least I don't have the same reaction to the Brain Octane.

I also thought that Jason Miller was extremely rude. It was the first time I ever posted on a Forum, so maybe I thought it was in my head. Thanks for acknowledging it. "Socially awkward know-it-alls who creep over message boards" Perfect description.

I used 1-3 servings of coconut oil per day and then ran into this same stomach issue when switching over to MCT Oil. My personal experience was taking less as previously mentioned as well as taking it with some solid food. That worked for me.

Also, Jason Miller, you don't have to be a complete ass-hat when someone is simply trying to figure out a problem. Socially awkward know-it-alls who creep over message boards, not a good look ,just be kind..

• edited February 2014

No it isn't something leaching from the bottle, glass would be better but more expensive, I've seen lots of nut butters in plastic containers, NOW is one of the very few using glass, most are in plastic.

Well that is good to know, as I suspect the stuff I ordered, due to arrive today, may be in plastic containers also.  Luda, if you find some answers it would be nice to hear the results. 

You say that you are new to posting on forums, so my only tip is that when someone comments in a bad way or attacks you, avoid it completely if you can and stick to your original topic, that is why were are all here in the first place.

Hope you find answers and that the situation improves.

• Are you taking the lid off & pouring the liquid or just swallowing the bottle, could be the bottle causing the stomach issues?
  • Ablett, I am taking the lid off and poring the liquid. I need to test some enzymes. Maybe those will help.

Thanks  HeinrichJVR, I will keep you updated. No no answers yet. As soon as I can, will test taking it with enzymes. Did your stuff arrive? I bought MCT and Brain Octane. I had no problems with Brain Octane. Go figure... ;)

Thanks everyone! 

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

or it could be psychosomatic...

No sorcery, just science. 

•  

After I bought Dave's MCT Oil, it was like someone punched a hole inside my stomach. It literally hurts. The last time that something like this happened to me was when I was 11 years old and had to take very strong antibiotics.

I'm almost certain what is happening is quality coconut oils have anti-micobial properties, and that can cause pain in the gut on introduction. Nature's Way MCT and Bullet Proof MCT caused me stomache pains as well, while NOW did not.

I believe NOW is a poor quality coconut oil which is why it does not have as strong of an anti-bacterial affect and as a result does not elicit discomfort.

I can also attest that this is not due to sheer volume of fat intake or type of fat, as prior to using high quality coconut oils I had large volumes of butter and olive oil without this discomfort - I've isolated the issue to high quality coconut oils.

The pain will subside with regular use (for me it was almost completely gone after ~150 grams of coconut oil or a few days of use), but it will happen again upon reintroduction after cycling off the coconut oil for a sustained period of time.

• Hi Timmm123 .thank you! Your answer started to make sense for me. But I continued with the mct oil and the discomfort didn't go away. Also, I had been taking coconut oil for a while before I tried  Bulletproof's MCT oil, also with no discomfort.

I just decided to stop with Bulletproof's MCT oil... I got scared - the pain was quite great. The only time I ever remember feeling like that was when I took a very strong antibiotic when I was 12. 

My gut is almost back to normal. 

But thank you for your answer. It showed to some ignorant people on this forum that consuming a lot of fat doesn't cause discomfort to some people like us, and my question was valid. I am not trolling the forum, I am asking how to end my pain. The guy is the troll himself.

• If you ever try MCT again, you must start with betaine HCL. At least for the first couple weeks and after you take breaks away from it. Also, start with a smaller dose of mct...like a tsp and work up to one tbsp...while taking the hcl the whole time. 

I think that it is hard to understand peoples intent when writing texts on msg posts...but if you go back and read jason's posts...he really was trying to help and you just kept repeating what you had already written. He was trying to get to the bottom of why and what kind of pain you had. Because changing brands of MCT if you are already used to it, should not have affected you in that way unless you did something else different...like take it without food all of a sudden or have been consuming grains that could be causing leaky gut and a sensitivity to the mct....

People on here are generally kind, however there are some who help by getting straight to the point and not being nice and fluffy about it....Generally speaking, anyone who responds here is trying to help...some just write with nice descriptive words and others they are point blank and can come off aggressive in assistance ...but they are all trying to help you. Sometimes when emotions run high (ie not feeling good) you take things the wrong way and fault people where no fault is really needed. For future...just remember...people that are actively on here posting as many of us are, are not unkind or trying to be mean or hurtful...this is a forum where we are here to help and develop a community. I'm pretty sure the mods would kick someone who is repeatedly just an ass...not let them hang around and be hurtful and not helpful.

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• Glad to hear you're feeling better, I've never used the upgraded MCT but have used the NOW brand and the sprouts brand and I know the terrible feeling when I used to much or hadn't used any MCT for a few days it feels like no other stomach pain.  

Marijuana is legal here but not most places but seems to help immensely with my stomach issues if you have access.

Can you block people on this forum so you don't see posts from Cunty Canadians? 

• really...now who isn't being kind? 

• not all Canadians, i just thought it sounded funny

• it did...I laughed when I read it actually!